Newbie after advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diddle

Reaction score
Hi all i'm new here and new to holistic therapies.
I have recently qualifed as a massage therapist, this is the only treatment i offer at the moment, i'm hoping to do more but as i work its hard to fit courses in. Looking at doing some short courses eg, indian head, hot stone etc. Would rather stay in holistics rather than go into beauty.

I want to work from home, i have a room that i can use but don't really have a clue where to start, what prices i should charge and how best to advertise etc?

Any advice would be greatly recieved.

Thanks x

First things first....
You want to make sure there is a market for what you have to offer. Ask around, is there a void that you can fill? Who is your target market and how will you reach them?

Okay....next, do a little research. Call around, visit some competitors. Find out what services they offer, what their strengths and weaknesses are, check their pricing.

Now, you will have to determine what it will cost you in start up and overhead costs to get up and running. Don't be fooled by opening at home-there are still lots of expenses to deal with and consider.

Check your local by-laws to make sure that you can in fact run a business from your home. There is always zoning to consider.

Get insurance quotes.

Now, considering all of your operational costs, and what you will need to pay yourself, as well as all costs associated with each treatment, you will need to see if you can price yourself competitively and still thrive.

I did throw that in there about paying yourself...but it takes a while to actually make a decent wage. Can you survive for a few months (maybe a year) with no steady income? Will you have money to contribute some months when the expenses outweigh the income?

Do you have a support system? Mentors or family members who can offer you sound business advice when you need it?

Are you willing to work long hours, and forfeit holidays and vacations while you build your business?

These are just a few things to consider.

I hope that helps. Best of luck!

Thanks for that. Its not something that i intend to do full time, just something for a bit of extra cash. I will look at all things you have said and take it on board. Thanks.

hiya diddle,
I am an holistic therapist and I do a few more 'beauty related' treatments like facials and body wraps. I have also trained in pedicure and manicure but don't offer them on the menu.

I am not busy, I've been doing this, building up slowly for the past 12 years.

21 months ago I moved into a room, I rent it 3 half days a week (doesn't warrant any more).
7 months ago I took a second room on, I am there 2 full days, 4 half days.

I also teach, do talks and demos, and have recently become an accredited trainer through The Guild.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

It is difficult, but you read the nail geeks and the tan geeks and the hair geeks and they say its swings and roundabouts for them too.

I have considered training in waxing, as that brings in regular clients, but so far have resisted.

A wise tutor once said, 'holistics is the icing on the cake, beauty is your bread and butter'.

Thanks hippy chick. I agree that beauty is probably what brings in customers but it's something that just doesn't float my boat if you know what i mean! would you reccomend joining FHT? And using there insurance? Have been to see a business advisor today and have forms for self employment etc. So feel like i am moving forward. I'm unsure where to go with prices though. I do have a beauty salon near me that offers body massage really quite cheaply so i think i need to stay around their prices as they are the biggest competition i have? What do you think?

Latest posts

Back