Newbie - nails not lasting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs Jess

Reaction score
Hi all...
I am new to nails, I started about 6 weeks ago - I have done 7 sets in the last week but 4 of those sets have either had 1 or 2 come off :(
If I list my order of service, could you tell me if I'm doing anything wrong/missing anything out please:

(Using nsi gel balance system)

1. Small amount of nsi cuticle dissolve on cuticles
2. Push back and trim cuticles. Then cleanse.
3. File natural nail with 180 grit
4. Fit and adhere pro impressions tips (applying adhesive to tip AND free edge of natural nail)
5. Limited blending in (as they're pro impressions - no blending) I usually just blend the corners/wings. Then shape into clients preference
6. Buff tip & natural nail
7. Apply nsi nail pure plus
8. Apply nsi balance bond primer
9. Apply thin layer of nsi balance gel firmly, avoiding skin.
10. Cure for 2 mins in uv lamp.
11. Apply thicker second layer (working and dragging gel, starting from zone 3.
12. Turn clients hand over for 15 seconds
13. Check and cure for 2 mins
14. Repeat steps 11, 12 & 13.
15. Remove sticky layer with cleanse.
16. Do any last filing before polishing.

Please help me, I know I'm new but I'm feeling really disappointed :(
Thanks in advance xz

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Are you washing off the cuticle disolve ? I don't do gel only acrylic but I know that needs to be washed off x

Are you washing off the cuticle disolve ? I don't do gel only acrylic but I know that needs to be washed off x

Thank you for your reply nikysnails. .. I cleanse after I have finished doing the cuticles. X

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hopefully you get an answer it's so frustrating x

Umm do you wipe nails after filing buffing etc? Im new too but can't think of anything else either xx

Umm do you wipe nails after filing buffing etc? Im new too but can't think of anything else either xx

Hiya helengrace, I have been using a nail brush and just brushing the dust off :sad: xx

What are the condition of the clients nails before you put the extensions on. I find that if my clients have really short, bitten nails, then the nails sometimes don't stay on as well.
Also are you ensuring the tip doesn't cover too much of the natural nail? Xx

What are the condition of the clients nails before you put the extensions on. I find that if my clients have really short, bitten nails, then the nails sometimes don't stay on as well.
Also are you ensuring the tip doesn't cover too much of the natural nail? Xx

Ooohh I hadn't thought of that last point you made :) maybe that could be it?!? I do sometimes feel that maybe I adhere quite far down on the nail bed.....

Out of the 4 clients that have experienced premature loss of the nail - they are all in different conditions. Some very short, but not so much on others xxx

I have never heard of applying glue to the nail as well as the tip. I was taught a small dot of glue in the middle and then spread to the edges; dab off excess on couch roll then onto the nail ensuring their are no air bubbles and tip should never cover more than half the nail as the bond isn't with gel to tip, it's gel to nail that is the strongest. Also, make sure to check there is enough strength/gel on the join line xx

When you say they are having premature loss, did they tell you how they came off? have they cracked/ broken or have they peeled off? this can give you a clue as to why x

If they are breaking off, are you making the apex strong enough? Xx

Few points to try, these might help you pin point what's happening.

-try not using cuticle dissolve and just pushing the cuticles back gently.
- make sure the tips are placed on the tip and not too low or too high
- make sure your apex is strong enough
- are you using your primer correctly as this will prevent lifting too soon after application
- are you mixing your products properly
- are your clients following their aftercare properly
- are you making the nails too long for the natural nail

Try a few of these out on friends etc if a certain friends nails last longer than the others you'll single out the problem. I had the same thing when I first started and I now no longer use a cuticle dissolve as this was causing my nails to break off after a few days x

Also I prefer the elation tips to impression tips as they seem stronger and more flexible

Could it be something as simple as incorrectly chosen tip sizes ie.too small? I know that happened to me when I 1st started....don't be too hard on yourself,with experience comes knowledge, you'll get there! Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

I have never heard of applying glue to the nail as well as the tip. I was taught a small dot of glue in the middle and then spread to the edges; dab off excess on couch roll then onto the nail ensuring their are no air bubbles and tip should never cover more than half the nail as the bond isn't with gel to tip, it's gel to nail that is the strongest. Also, make sure to check there is enough strength/gel on the join line xx

I think I learnt off of here to put it on both natural nail and top....does anyone else do this?
X

When you say they are having premature loss, did they tell you how they came off? have they cracked/ broken or have they peeled off? this can give you a clue as to why x

Well.....1 came off trying to open a compact mirror (assuming like a ring pull can) so I suppose I can't put that down to my fault.

Another 1 - 95% off it came off, leaving a tiny it left near the cuticle.

And the other two I am yet too see (fixing them tomorrow) so will be interesting to see xxx

Few points to try, these might help you pin point what's happening.

-try not using cuticle dissolve and just pushing the cuticles back gently.
- make sure the tips are placed on the tip and not too low or too high
- make sure your apex is strong enough
- are you using your primer correctly as this will prevent lifting too soon after application
- are you mixing your products properly
- are your clients following their aftercare properly
- are you making the nails too long for the natural nail

Try a few of these out on friends etc if a certain friends nails last longer than the others you'll single out the problem. I had the same thing when I first started and I now no longer use a cuticle dissolve as this was causing my nails to break off after a few days x

Thank you so much. I definitely think I'm going to give cuticle dissolve a miss and see how I get on.

I am applying primer (acid free) just to the natural nail and not the tip, that's ok right? Xxx

Also I prefer the elation tips to impression tips as they seem stronger and more flexible

Do you have to blend the elation tips in? I'm slow as it is without blending lol x

Could it be something as simple as incorrectly chosen tip sizes ie.too small? I know that happened to me when I 1st started....don't be too hard on yourself,with experience comes knowledge, you'll get there! Good luck!

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for your reply.....I personally think I was using to big ones, so have now started going a bit smaller and thing I he got this in the bag now.....I hope x

If you file the top of the elation tip slightly before attaching it to the nail this will save you time. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself, it takes time to get used to all the things you need to remember, I've been qualified 6 years and still have off days. Good luck

Latest posts

Back