No confidence, advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren20

Reaction score
Hi I’m just looking for a bit of advice on my current situation. I am level 2 and 3 qualified, although I didn’t go into college for my level 3, I had an assessor come out once a month and look at photos of work I had completed to pass assignments off & see the occasional model that I did. So I don’t feel like I benefited much from the course.
I started a new job last year in the summer, just before qualifying level 3. I explained to my employer that I wasn’t that confident in cutting hair, especially short hair and I didn’t do much gent cutting. the past few months my employers been saying that my short hair cutting isn’t good & that the salon has been quieter than normal and it’s due to bad haircuts (done by me). It’s been talked about to clients as well while I’m there which I find embarrassing. I’ve been there several months and have been told I should be busy and have a clientele now but I’m just slowly building up.
My confidence is at an all time low and my anxiety is really bad before going to work or when doing hair in the salon. I just feel like I’m not good enough or should just give hairdressing up, even though it’s always what I’ve wanted to do.
I was thinking of leaving my job and taking some time out to do some courses? To improve my skills and just build my confidence up. I just wanted some advice whether that’s a good idea or if perhaps I’m overreacting and need to persevere working there?
If so what courses would you recommend?
Sorry this is so long winded!

Hi I’m just looking for a bit of advice on my current situation. I am level 2 and 3 qualified, although I didn’t go into college for my level 3, I had an assessor come out once a month and look at photos of work I had completed to pass assignments off & see the occasional model that I did. So I don’t feel like I benefited much from the course.
I started a new job last year in the summer, just before qualifying level 3. I explained to my employer that I wasn’t that confident in cutting hair, especially short hair and I didn’t do much gent cutting. the past few months my employers been saying that my short hair cutting isn’t good & that the salon has been quieter than normal and it’s due to bad haircuts (done by me). It’s been talked about to clients as well while I’m there which I find embarrassing. I’ve been there several months and have been told I should be busy and have a clientele now but I’m just slowly building up.
My confidence is at an all time low and my anxiety is really bad before going to work or when doing hair in the salon. I just feel like I’m not good enough or should just give hairdressing up, even though it’s always what I’ve wanted to do.
I was thinking of leaving my job and taking some time out to do some courses? To improve my skills and just build my confidence up. I just wanted some advice whether that’s a good idea or if perhaps I’m overreacting and need to persevere working there?
If so what courses would you recommend?
Sorry this is so long winded!
You definitely need to speak to your boss about the staff discussing you and your work on shopfloor! That's appalling behaviour! If there are any issues with your haircuts then it should be down to your manager to address this on a one to one basis. Then if they're competent at their job they should be helping you and maybe even spending time with you to work on the shorter haircuts etc.. Even if your manager can't, a more experienced and knowledgeable staff member should, but after this has been arranged by the manager. Do you do anything outside of your working hours to help you better understand where you're making mistakes if any? There's plenty of tutorials and free education online. Don't quit, you'll regret it. Especially if you haven't tried to resolve the issue or even address it. Once you've addressed it, re evaluate in say 60 days and see how you and your manager feel about your progression? If you're still having issues or they're not being fair and professional still then I'd start looking at other options.

Hi, Thankyou for your reply!
It is the employer that has mentioned it to some of her clients. Just telling them that it’s not been as busy in the salon, and due to where I worked previously I’m not too good with short hair as we mainly dealt with a lot of long hair etc.
i do watch YouTube tutorials, especially the ones by Free Salon Education. Just to see what techniques they use and how they achieve different cuts.
Thank-you

Hi, Thankyou for your reply!
It is the employer that has mentioned it to some of her clients. Just telling them that it’s not been as busy in the salon, and due to where I worked previously I’m not too good with short hair as we mainly dealt with a lot of long hair etc.
i do watch YouTube tutorials, especially the ones by Free Salon Education. Just to see what techniques they use and how they achieve different cuts.
Thank-you
That's terrible! Really unprofessional!
So what is she actively doing to help better the situation? Anything? Or just talking about you to clients? Let's face it most salons are quieter in January anyway! Mainly because if your clients all squeezed in before Christmas, and majority of them go every 6 weeks then that by passes January, straight in to February.

Don’t give up now! Just because you’ve had poor tuition and supervision doesn’t mean you can’t turn this around.
If you’re struggling with short cuts, it sounds like you haven’t quite grasped the basics.
Don’t worry though, it’s easily remedied. :)

I think it’s a lot like studying maths where some teachers explanations seem to make no sense and you find yourself struggling to grasp the concepts, but when you are taught a different method, it suddenly all clicks into place.

I strongly recommend getting a copy of the “abc cutting hair the sassoon way” either the book or the dvd. Yes it’s been out for years but the methodology is sound.

The book and videos explain very clearly about shape and angles. You might need to watch or read it a few times until you get that lightbulb moment when it suddenly starts to make sense, but you won’t look back and cutting any length of hair into any shape, will be a breeze.

That's terrible! Really unprofessional!
So what is she actively doing to help better the situation? Anything? Or just talking about you to clients? Let's face it most salons are quieter in January anyway! Mainly because if your clients all squeezed in before Christmas, and majority of them go every 6 weeks then that by passes January, straight in to February.

They’ve been through one of the main short haircuts that is done in the salon. Which I feel I have improved on But I know it will take time and practice. I think I’m just going to invest in my own education. Do you have any courses that you would recommend, specifically for cutting and gents?

Don’t give up now! Just because you’ve had poor tuition and supervision doesn’t mean you can’t turn this around.
If you’re struggling with short cuts, it sounds like you haven’t quite grasped the basics.
Don’t worry though, it’s easily remedied. :)

I think it’s a lot like studying maths where some teachers explanations seem to make no sense and you find yourself struggling to grasp the concepts, but when you are taught a different method, it suddenly all clicks into place.

I strongly recommend getting a copy of the “abc cutting hair the sassoon way” either the book or the dvd. Yes it’s been out for years but the methodology is sound.

The book and videos explain very clearly about shape and angles. You might need to watch or read it a few times until you get that lightbulb moment when it suddenly starts to make sense, but you won’t look back and cutting any length of hair into any shape, will be a breeze.
Thankyou! I will defiantly get either the book or dvd. Really appreciate your advice!

Latest posts

Back