Odd question - sectioning for blowdrying/curling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emsyj

Reaction score
Hello hair geeks, I'm doing a hair up/styling course at the moment and the tutor showed us how to section the hair by taking a horsehoe shaped section around the head (does that make sense??). A few years ago I did a short course where the tutor taught us to section into 4 (2 front and 2 back) which I found much easier. Just wondered if there is much difference between the 2 methods, which is 'better' and why you might choose one over another? Thanks - hope this made sense to you all!!

I use the horse shoe section ing going around the head especially when doing a ️Bouncy Blowdry with round brushes. It's usually only the top section that I might change depending on where they part their ... Some time I will part diagonally and stand at the front of client ... Just depends what direction you want the hair to go... There's no right or wrong way. Whatever you feel gives you the best finish!

Thanks for your reply. I found it really hard to keep the top section tidy doing it with a horsehoe shape - the 4 sections seems easier to me, but will see if I get used to the horsehoe method with practice!

Correct sectioning is very important in hairdressing and it's just another technique that requires lots of practice to perfect.

The second section pattern where you effectively cut a cross in the head is sometimes referred to as a 'hot cross bun' section.

When working on damp hair (blowdrying) I would usually choose working in horseshoe sections, reason being that if you comb the hair into profile/radial sections first, as the hair dries it can set and create partings in the hair. Also if you section the hair with a radial parting from ear to ear and blowdry the back first, then you are more likey to overdirect the hair back when blowdrying. The horseshoe partings should mirror the direction in which you are drying the hair. On the top section drying the hair back will create more root lift (against the natual fall) and towards the face will flattern the roots, and then the hair will fall into the natural parting.

Latest posts

Back