Olaplex

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamlea87

Reaction score
Is anyone else exited about this new product? It hasn't been released for sale yet, but all my favourite instagram colourists have been testing it (guy tang, tracy cunningham, sema conde etc) and are raving about it.

You add it into your bleach and it apparently rebuilds the disulfate bonds in the hair "dramatically reducing breakage". Everyone that has used it has said they are able to get the clients much lighter that they would normally be able to.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Is anyone else exited about this new product? It hasn't been released for sale yet, but all my favourite instagram colourists have been testing it (guy tang, tracy cunningham, sema conde etc) and are raving about it.

You add it into your bleach and it apparently rebuilds the disulfate bonds in the hair "dramatically reducing breakage". Everyone that has used it has said they are able to get the clients much lighter that they would normally be able to.

I for one am very excited about it! :)

I wonder how it compares to platinium or Silklift condition wise.

I'm excited! I follow guy tang too..and he's always going on about it...I emailed olapex,got some more info...wanted to find out if they ship to England...and they do! 😁

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm excited! I follow guy tang too..and he's always going on about it...I emailed olapex,got some more info...wanted to find out if they ship to England...and they do! 😁

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

They haven't confirmed an agent for distribution as yet but are in talks and are prepared to ship to individuals/salons until then! Hope it lives up to the hype!! :)

Hmm i think i should become the distributer haha

I've used Olaplex many times in the past few weeks, and these are my thoughts on the product.

First let me say I used to be somewhat a Guy a Tang fan, but as of late I feel I can't really trust what he says or recommends. Its so obvious that he will say or do whatever is necessary to obtain free goodies from various companies. His "ratchet", brassy before pics are so overly filtered that he lost credibility in my eyes.

Now on to Olaplex. Honestly, I don't get all the hype about it. I put it up against Goldwell Silk Lift serum (using silk lift lightener of course), and Silk Lift left the hair in better condition. I purchased the larger Olaplex kit to be able to really give it a fair try and am just about finished. I won't be purchasing this again.

Olaplex posted something a week ago or so stating something along the lines of "if you normally wouldn't process their hair, don't do so just because you have olaplex. While this is true I have 2 issues with this

1. Olaplex claims it let's the stylist "push the envelope" and the box clearly states " never break a clients hair again". By saying if you normally wouldn't do it, don't - you're not pushing the envelope and yes, you can and will still get breakage with Olaplex.

2. Don't have stylists such as Guy Tang - who represent your brand - make claims like their clients hair was so damaged but after olaplex it looked healthier and that he lightened compromised hair with no breakage.

Honestly guys, all the after photos you are seeing are styled hair - a decent stylist can make damaged hair look "healthy" with some product and an iron.

My verdict is that maybe Olaplex helps a little , but game changer not so much. Goldwell Silk Lift Serum used with SL Lightener is way ahead of the Olaplex game.

Really interesting!

I've used silklift for 4 years now, I dabble in infinie for my standard bleach but my clients love silklift.

Even tho it's not stated on there, I find it near impossible to cause breakage with silklift. (In fact I haven't!)

My friend had her hair bleached, overlapped, over processed, with 40vol. Which snapped badly! Another hairdresser dyed it red which lasted one
wash. We gave her a decent haircut not too much.

I did two sets of 9% foils and tint, then straight in with full head 6% (over 3 appointments). She was so nervous but when I washed it off you could feeling the softness just with the water running through it.

I've been following these olapex threads closely, I'd be interested to see any other silklift users views.

I use the fanola oro lightener and add some oro oil to the hair prior and the hair is better after the colour than before.

Sent from my C6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

This truly is interesting to read. Completely agree. Just Friday I asked a friend in the industry how Olaplex was different than the ampules I add to Silk Lift.

Silk Lift has always been my go-to on scalp bleach. However, I have been experimenting with cream bleaches for on scalp clients. Silk Lift started drying out more on scalp. Maybe I should add slightly more developer to make it not dry out as fast.

Has anyone used silk lift serum with other brands of bleach? I'd be curious to see how it works with say Joico cream bleach or Decolor B cream. (Such a lack of true cream bleaches on the market, but that's for another thread.) Really wish Goldwell had a true cream bleach.

I had more questions about Olaplex when they didn't mention in instructions with the products how to use it for on scalp. Yet when I emailed them they said do not bump up volume for direct application to scalp. I suggested they should add to Facebook because lots of stylists on Instagram are bumping up for on scalp.

Last edited:
Surely your insurance must be void for using this product in bleach?

If you gave some bleach burns you would be screwed (it happens a lot- no control over it)

They put an interesting warning on IG to remind people to mix their developer and lighter before adding the opalex, otherwise it can make the lightener 'hot'.

I saw that .... There were some unhappy bunnies.

People saying it should be tested. They said they only tested it mixed according.

I'm sorry but most hairdressers would do powder, developer, olapex then mix.... Surely that would be something that would be flagged up before it was brought to market.

Unfortunately companies push products too quickly to market - Inoa springs to mind!

OK so from what I have been reading the active ingredient is a type of silicone polmer, and interestly from looking at one of the patents it has been tested for use in nail products as well as hair.

From what I can gather in contast to other polymers used in hair products that quickly wash out the hair, opalex will covalently bond to the hair to sulfur-hydrogen bonds faster than the peroxide can react to cause oxidative damage to the majority of the bonds.

So in theory you should not only reduce the peroxide damage but also have stronger chains in the hair.. It's certainly interesting stuff but a healthy dose of skepticism is always good too.

Did anyone manage to order to the UK? Wasn't an option for my me on the site

Thanks, Adam for the scientific specifics behind it.

I tried it today on a client at her home who needed something done fast with a few brassy pieces as she messaged me and has a job interview. She's a good friend and I wanted her to feel great about her hair.

Underwhelmed, but that's just my opinion. She's a full blonde and like Tracey says on the website video, client wanted some white pieces and a few brassy areas knocked out. I usually do this with lightener and volume 10. I upped the volume to 20 and did the 1/8th of Olaplex as it's not in foils.

Hair still a bit gummy after washing and some light breakage. Nothing major, but there is rarely any breakage when I do this technique and only volume 10.

I'm experimenting a lot lately with true cream bleaches and hoped to use Olaplex for on scalp, but for now I'm going to hold off. I plan to try silk lift serum with cream bleach on scalp before trying Olaplex on scalp.

I love that I can get really nice root lifts with just volume 10. I'm not willing to up the developer for direct on scalp at the moment. If others do use it directly on scalp, please keep posted!

Adam do you use platinium?

I've had a play around with it and have found even with 40vol, it still feels bleached just not as knackered as it you really had used 40vol.

I'm hoping results with Olapex do mean the hair looks better, just not less damaged.

This is really interesting - the Salon I work out of has just been looking at this but have decided against it - too much faff on apparently. They're using a product called Dual Fix 12 by Envy Professional as a prewash and/or precolour treatment and getting great results.

As you can see from my profile I'm no hairdresser but apparently Dual Fix really events out the porosity of the hair so the colour takes better, is made of silk and keratin so repairs damage to the hair and applies dead easily - it's a foamer basically.

They've used it on my hair and tbh my hair does feel so much better for quite a while after (at least a couple of weeks if not more) and given the stick I give to my hair (love my GHD's!!) that in itself is a bit of a miracle!

Might be worth looking at if any of you are interested in hair repair treatments xx

Hi there,

Very interesting reading over these comments. I actually work with Tracey Cunningham on a daily basis, having used this on well over 2500 clients at this point over the last 8 months as we do 30 - 50 people a day 4 days a week. I'll go through now and address each issue I see here.

First of all, nothing like the Goldwell silklift at all. I would actually love to hear how you were mixing in regards to this as I think that is where the issue may lie. This is from personally using the product and our results have been absolutely amazing. As for styled hair, you can see results posted all over in regards to reparation. This is working internally on the hair, not coating the hair like a silicone based conditioner nor going through and putting protein into the hair which eventually causes brittleness and breakage.

As for pushing the envelope, you are definitely able to push things farther. Reason for this being, there are more bonds left in the hair to break and continue lightening to a much greater extent than normally would be available but within reason.

When dealing with on the scalp application, 20 vol. is recommended more for client comfort due to higher developer levels causing scalp irritation. May have to process a bit longer, but worth it overall when maintaining overall integrity.

As for lightener getting hot, specific testing was done in regards to this. It has nothing to do with Olaplex as this has been a problem with lightener for many years. Usually a chemical reaction due to buildup of minerals within the hair. Just check as you normally would!

In regards to being a polymer, it is not. There is a single active ingredient composed of carbon, oxygen, nitrogen and sulphur put together in a way that it actually goes through and links broken bonds within the hair.

This is unlike anything I have ever used before. You can check out ABCH review too. http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...-Deal.html?soid=1102356594365&aid=BA8S9h0H1ig

Kindest regards,
Jordan

Well, as you're a distributer for the product, you're hardly going to offer an unbiased review, are you?

Latest posts

Back