Opening a salon from scratch

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi all! I sorry if this is really long winded! But over the next 12 months I will be opening a salon / studio.
I have been researching and come up with the following (this is after Iv found a property, considered location/parking etc), and have a huge client base. also think this may help somebody else starting from scratch? I am trying to price everything (roughly) but here is a list before I do!

BUSINESS
- funding
- business rates
- rent
- buildings insurance
- licence agreement
- water mains
- gas & electric
- radio licence/tv
- ventilation
- phone & Internet
- card machine / payment
- booking system
- security (cameras etc)
- fire extinguishers
- first aid equipment
- health & safety display (written fire exits etc)
- contracts
- rental chairs
- business tax and NI

ADVERTISEMENT
- loyalty cards
- business cards
- local newspaper
- price lists
- website

PRODUCTS
- PPE
- makeup/ hair/ lash stock
- barbacide (health and safety stuff)
- display stock

INTERIOR & DECOR
- flooring
- painting / plastering / plumbing
- storage
- wash basins
- chairs
- lighting
- kitchen essentials
- bathroom essentials
- bins
- reception desk
- waiting area
- Mirrors
- trolleys
- lash area
- units to work from
- wall decoration
- foot stools

That is an awesome and very detailed list and by the way, congrats on your starting a new business!

Just to let you know, I work at a credit card processing company and as your list notes, credit card payment is a must-have. So if you need more information on shopping around, please visit us and you can take a look around at helpful blog posts or even give us a ring if you want to get an idea on point of sales systems/machines and pricing.

Good luck!

Good luck !

Maybe budget for uniforms , they can be quite costly and creates a more professional look.

A very comprehensive list!

You may also wish to consider the purchase of display cabinets for any products that you sell, and also the cost of laundry for work clothing and towels.

Have you considered laser/IPL treatments at your new salon/studio? As the official partner and recommended laser technology supplier of VTCT, Skyncare may be able to help you.

Thanks ladies!!!

Great list, you forgot waste disposal tho, bins are a hefty expense that need to be factored in too

Thank you! x

A very comprehensive list!

You may also wish to consider the purchase of display cabinets for any products that you sell, and also the cost of laundry for work clothing and towels.

Have you considered laser/IPL treatments at your new salon/studio? As the official partner and recommended laser technology supplier of VTCT, Skyncare may be able to help you.
Do you have a website or contact info

Best of luck x

Latest posts

Back