Opening a salon-NVQ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie_w_

Reaction score
Hi I wonder if anyone can help with regards to opening my own shop. I've been in the beauty industry for 7 years taking courses in nails, sp eyelashes, spraytans, HD brows, shrinking violet, waxing, facials etc. I'm now wanting to open my own shop and stop the mobile business. Does anyone know if to open a beauty shop I have to have an nvq? I've been told you can't open a salon without an nvq level 3. With so many years in the industry id be so disappointed to be told it couldn't happen. Thanks in advance x

I don't know who would stop you? As long as you are qualified with valid insurance

I've been told you can't open a salon without an nvq level 3.

Sorry but thats a load of C**P :rolleyes:

As long as you are qualified & with valid insurance you are fine.

Thanks for your response :)
That's what I was thinking- as long as all my certificates are on show and I'm insured. Don't know why I've been told this "rule" but as long as it's not some known law I'm happy to go ahead :) xx

Sorry but thats a load of C**P :rolleyes:

As long as you are qualified & with valid insurance you are fine.

No it's not it's actually correct. The OP has been informed correctly. Basically, to open a salon (assuming it's not a home salon) you will need a licence granted by the council, and most councils now require you to have need at least NVQ level 2 to get this licence. It's called a special treatments licence and is a requirement in the UK. It's awarded to your premises but in order to get it you need NVQ or VRQ.

Check out your local council website and find out what they ask for but you will find that more and more councils are asking for it now- soon it will be a standard. I'm in London and all our councils require it! I don't know any borough here which doesn't!

Last edited:
I think with regards to the whole NVQ thing it's your local council who require you to have the nationally recognised qualification so they can issue you with a special treatments license. However it varies in different council areas. I have just emailed my local council to see what they say about it as I am just about to start training from scratch and want to make sure I choose the right routes etc. Hope that helps?

P.s...my username was supposed to be "graceanne" not blummin "grace amen" haha what a rubbish username. Damn auto correct. :D

I think with regards to the whole NVQ thing it's your local council who require you to have the nationally recognised qualification so they can issue you with a special treatments license. However it varies in different council areas. I have just emailed my local council to see what they say about it as I am just about to start training from scratch and want to make sure I choose the right routes etc. Hope that helps?

P.s...my username was supposed to be "graceanne" not blummin "grace amen" haha what a rubbish username. Damn auto correct. :D

Looool ask the mods to change it!

Yep OP- It will say on your local councils website- just type in special treatments licence!

Thanks for that info. I'm in liverpool. I've just been onto liverpool city council website and searched for this special treatments licence and nothing has flagged up that our council requires this licence. :-/ xx

Thanks for that info. I'm in liverpool. I've just been onto liverpool city council website and searched for this special treatments licence and nothing has flagged up that our council requires this licence. :-/ xx

You council will surely require the licence as that's a uk standard, it's just whether you need an nvq to get it (which if it's a city you probably will)!

If not I'm moving to Liverpool! Lol

LOL
I've just emailed them regarding it so I wait with baited breath to find out. Was hoping it wasn't all too good to be true. I've been offered a salon rent free for the 1st 12 months off a friend. Would have been great if it could have worked out but if it's not meant to be I'll live. I've still got a great mobile clientele x

LOL
I've just emailed them regarding it so I wait with baited breath to find out. Was hoping it wasn't all too good to be true. I've been offered a salon rent free for the 1st 12 months off a friend. Would have been great if it could have worked out but if it's not meant to be I'll live. I've still got a great mobile clientele x

Well maybe it is different in Liverpool and it's not so strict! I even had a quick look just now out of interest and I couldn't see it on the Liverpool website either I could only see it's needed for tattooing and ear piercing (so if you look on that section you will get what I'm on about) but....maybe your in luck! London is a bit funny very serious about all beauty treatments- the licences can be really expensive as well here. I seriously do need to move lol!!

Congrats on the salon gig. That's a touch and in fact maybe they already have the relevant licence as it's on the premises not the individual!

Well maybe it is different in Liverpool and it's not so strict! I even had a quick look just now out of interest and I couldn't see it on the Liverpool website either I could only see it's needed for tattooing and ear piercing (so if you look on that section you will get what I'm on about) but....maybe your in luck! London is a bit funny very serious about all beauty treatments- the licences can be really expensive as well here. I seriously do need to move lol!!

Congrats on the salon gig. That's a touch and in fact maybe they already have the relevant licence as it's on the premises not the individual!

Don't think it's required in our neck of the woods either.

Ah so even if i do require it if the current salon already has it on the premises I can go ahead? That sounds great. Searching away trying to find any information about my council requirements- baffled why liverpool doesn't seem bothered about the licence but hopefully the council will get back to me today. So much work goes into opening a shop; glad I love what I do :) x

It depends on your local council as it's not a requirement all over the UK. I would only need one if I offered electrolysis but I don't. Your best bet is to check with your council x

Ah so even if i do require it if the current salon already has it on the premises I can go ahead? That sounds great. Searching away trying to find any information about my council requirements- baffled why liverpool doesn't seem bothered about the licence but hopefully the council will get back to me today. So much work goes into opening a shop; glad I love what I do :) x

It is odd I would if thought they would need it but it seems not! I think in the future they are trying to enforce it nationwide and a base level nvq will be needed. I know babtac won't insure anyone with out a level 2 or equivalent now.

Yes - it's on the premises rather than on the person, so someone named on the licence needs to have it. I know so many talented and experienced nail techs down here having to go back to basics at school just to get the nvq so they can open up shop! You need one here even if you only do manicure pedicure!!!!

I've just had a search on other councils and its only down south and West Midlands that's coming up at the minute. As you say though it could certainly expand. I'm considering if all goes well I may go and at least do my nvq2 of an evening if I can. Will be strange kind of taking a step back but if that's what I have to do I'll do it. On looking at the criteria of the licences however it only seems you need it if you offer certain types of treatment; massage, sauna etc. I wouldn't be offering these treatments anyway. Do you happen to know if I stick to treatments not on the list I'd not require the licence if it rolls into my area?
Sorry for bombarding you with questions but you ladies have much more experience in opening up alone and all the rules and regulations :) x

I've just had a search on other councils and its only down south and West Midlands that's coming up at the minute. As you say though it could certainly expand. I'm considering if all goes well I may go and at least do my nvq2 of an evening if I can. Will be strange kind of taking a step back but if that's what I have to do I'll do it. On looking at the criteria of the licences however it only seems you need it if you offer certain types of treatment; massage, sauna etc. I wouldn't be offering these treatments anyway. Do you happen to know if I stick to treatments not on the list I'd not require the licence if it rolls into my area?
Sorry for bombarding you with questions but you ladies have much more experience in opening up alone and all the rules and regulations :) x

I think having an nvq is wise if you want to be a salon owner to be honest! Ok so I can tell you how it works here!

We need the licence if we carry out any treatments where there's a risk of bodily fluids being lost! So that includes tattooing ear piercing waxing mani pedi enhancements etc it appears to vary as I see in Liverpool hairdressers need it as do tattooists and ear piercers. The council come round check your qualifications and check your sanitary and clean (hence wanting the nvq for all the health and safety stuff) and give your your licence on the premises! Voila good to go!

Just another thought about NVQ's...does it make a difference with being able to register as a business with product suppliers for professional discounts....Bobbi brown etc etc as I'm sure I read somewhere that some brands require this. Obviously I'm a complete newbie and haven't even started training yet, lol, but I want to get armed with as much info as I can before I decide which training route to go down...could save a lot of hassle in the future! Sorry, kind of off topic slightly
X

Just another thought about NVQ's...does it make a difference with being able to register as a business with product suppliers for professional discounts....Bobbi brown etc etc as I'm sure I read somewhere that some brands require this. Obviously I'm a complete newbie and haven't even started training yet, lol, but I want to get armed with as much info as I can before I decide which training route to go down...could save a lot of hassle in the future! Sorry, kind of off topic slightly
X

Hmmm not sure- I've never heard of it actually being an issue if people haven't got it and want to buy pro products as long as they have some credible level of training. Saying that though Sweet squared only sell to people who have at minimum mani, pedi qualifications but I'm not sure what level they requires his to be at. I did hear somewhere on this forum that short courses won't do these days so it possible?!

Xx

We have a builder in our town that owns a hair salon wonder if he as a NVQ.??? :eek:

Latest posts

Back