Operations that don't work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeders

Reaction score
Anyone had one?

Last year I had an operation to help with acid reflux. I'd suffered for 30 years and only given tablets, but 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Barratts eosophogus which has the potential of turning cancerous. I was then told I had to have this operation which involves wrapping the top part of the stomach around the bottom part of the eosophogus creating a new valve to keep the acid down, thus protecting my throat. The op was keyhole and took 2 hours as I had a massive hiatus hernia as well that they had to repair but it took 2 months to recover. The good thing was I lost one and a half stone cos I had to live on liquids for 6 weeks!!!

I've gone through all that, op was in June last year and I've got the acid reflux back. I've seen the surgeon and he was quite adamant it's not reflux, but it's my body and I know what I've got! Basically he's not prepared to investigate further which I'm really upset and frustrated about.

I just wondered if anyone else has suffered an operation which failed, and how you were dealt with by the doctors afterwards.

Totally off topic but have you ever been tested for Celiac disease?

No I haven't - don't think I've heard of it either. What is it?

Deeders, I had the same operation in 1999. It's called Nissans Fundapplication. I lost 4 stone.
It cured my acid reflux and to this day it's stayed away. It's not possible for anything to come upwards (including vomit) as you have downward pressure in your stomach.
You can get indigestion though and eating some foods (chicken and nan bread are worst) can cause awful pain as the new valve struggles to cope. Hope it settles down for you as I have been very happy with the results from mine x

Deeders, I had the same operation in 1999. It's called Nissans Fundapplication. I lost 4 stone.
It cured my acid reflux and to this day it's stayed away. It's not possible for anything to come upwards (including vomit) as you have downward pressure in your stomach.
You can get indigestion though and eating some foods (chicken and nan bread are worst) can cause awful pain as the new valve struggles to cope. Hope it settles down for you as I have been very happy with the results from mine x

It's nice to hear from somebody who's had the same!! I only had the half wrap so I'm wondering now if I actually did need the full fundo. I can't vomit, but I'm continually burping and hiccuping and the pain in my chest is incredible sometimes. The only time I get acid (coming up into mouth) is when I either eat too much, or chocolate, cucumber or over Spicey foods. All in all nothings changed except I don't get the heartburn as often as I did. I too hope it settles down but I was so upset the surgeon is kinda making out I'm lying and totally discarded my feelings and what I was saying. Thank you for replying x

My father has your condition and he has had to go for many many edoscopes to burn away the cancerous cells, he never got the same operation as you though. He too suffers from severe acid and got prescribed rinitidine and omesoprazole to help with this and his acid barely bothers him unless he forgets to take his tablets. Perhaps you should talk to your doctor about these medications? hope this helps x

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek mobile app

Years ago I had pain so bad I thought something had gone seriously wrong with my new valve. I spoke to the surgeon and I had yet another endoscopy. The valve was intact and healthy. GP said it was an erosion but he said that was impossible. I disagree. My stomach still makes acid, just that it doesn't come up!
Burping etc is normal and I think you will get better. Your brain and your digestive system need to relearn how to digest your food x

Very spooky but I received an appointment today for an endoscopy on 10 April, apparently my 2 yearly Barratts check up. O well, we'll see what that shows. Thanks for all your replies, it's nice to know I'm not alone x

Latest posts

Back