OPI Gelcolor - hints and tips for best wear

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennypenny1972

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I know some of us use OPI Gelcolor and although I really like it and am feeling pretty confident with it, I still have the odd 'glitch' which frustrates me! As my business is still new and I only have a few clients a week at the moment, I am not doing enough to become uber experienced. (Hope that makes sense?!?)

The main problem is occasionally a client seems to get a chip after only a day or two. I have to assume that it is something I am doing and I would love to fix the issue once and for all! Also, on shades which shrink back from the free edge, I am tending to run the brush along the free edge after the second cure before curing again. I'm not sure whether or not this perhaps creates too much product at the end of the nail? It doesn't look thick or bulbous but who knows!

For those of you who are using Gelcolor with no issues, I'd love to hear your hints and tips for all situations.

Many thanks,

Jenny xx

I would say perhaps one or two things, are you shaking the bottle for 60 seconds each? Are the layers really really thin? Because I've found if too much product it can chip within days (happened to my mum luckily not a paying client as I was trying out a nailart method that clearly didn't work) better to have several thin layers than two thick ones.

Thanks for your response:D

Anyone else got some words of wisdom?

Jenny x

I've just started using gel Color do will be keeping tabs on this thread! I've had a couple of clients who have one or two nails come clean off after 6/7 days yet the rest stay for about 2 weeks. Apart from that I e only hAd shrinkage issues with Lincoln park after dark ( I do one nail at a time now). I haven't had any chipping problems xx

I've been using GelColor for a couple of months now and absolutely love it. It look me a couple of weeks to really get used to it though. I didn't think I'd find anything I like more than Gelish, I wish OPI had introduced GelColor sooner and they need to produce more of the Classic colours.

The bottle shaking is a pain but it makes a massive difference to both shrinkage and application. Also good prep (as with all products) makes a huge difference.

If it is just the odd client who gets chipping, it may be something they are doing. I have around 90 clients, but its always the same few (whatever you put on them) that have small problems.

A whole covering coming off is likely to be a prep issue.

My son (who is also OPI trained) does my nails and I notice that sometimes he makes the free edge a bit bulbous due to over capping. However, it doesn't affect the wear on my own long nails.

I've been using GelColor for a couple of months now and absolutely love it. It look me a couple of weeks to really get used to it though. I didn't think I'd find anything I like more than Gelish, I wish OPI had introduced GelColor sooner and they need to produce more of the Classic colours..

I also wish they would bring out some more colours. such as sparrow me the drama, and some of the designer series for some serious bling.

and even though they have a mint green and lilac colour they arent partically always the right colour if that makes sense. I would like a lighter lilac than a grape fit and a something more like mermaids tears for the mint green. but be nice to see what new colours will come out soon :)

I had some issues at first with it chipping especially on me! but i realised i was doing it too thick on myself because its hard not to, using your other hand, and i clean at my other job and am quite harsh on them even though i wear gloves. Now doing the test of time and 3 of my clients have now had theirs on for a week and 2 days and all in perfect condition no chips! yayy :) they have all commented how shiny they still are and how fast their nails are growing lol. I also read somwhere here that some people wipe the nails with acetone before the bond aid and it really does make the difference. :)

Vicky
xxxx

Latest posts

Back