Opinions on apprenticeships past 24

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondered what peoples opinions where about changing careers and more than halving a solid wage to take on an apprenticship?

I am 25 and have a degree and i dont have children so it seems funding options are limited and i dont want to get into a massive amount of debt considering i would be earning hundred pounds a week.

I am currently doing the cnd complete course and hoping to turn it into an itec so not sure if salons would see this skill and consider me over a younger cheaper applicant?

I was thinking about doing my mobile nails on the side while at the salon....but is it worth the risk? Ive been doing some research and it seems apprenticeships give you good experience and i just want to dive in and start doing it and immersing myself in the evironment.

Any salon owners on here taken on or would think of taking on a more mature applicant and would you pay them a bit more if thay had a skill like nails already?

Ta lovlies. Xx
Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Apprentices over 19 are entitled to minimum wage. Most salon owners would rather take on someone under 19 and pay them a lot less. But you may find a salon that will take you on. I'm just saying, don't be disheartened if you don't get taken on, as employers can't come out and say "it's because it's your age" as that is discrimination.

Would you go to college full time and work on the side doing the treatments you are qualified in?

Yes i would be doing the apprenticship full time-college is day release, and then doing nails in my spare time. I just dont want to spend a lot on a private education if at the end i cant get a job. And doing college one day a week witj my current job would be too much. Its tough isnt it. I mean most people cant decide what they want to do at eighteen. I am gonna look into the plus 24 learner fund just scared about racking up debts. Guess i've just got to take the plunge.

Do you think it would be worth getting in touch with some salons and asking them? Xx

I would enquire, it's definitely worth it. It's scary, most of us who have done the college thing, lived at home and didn't have any financial commitments so we could afford to go college. It's scary when you are a little older.

Personally I could afford to take on an apprentice who was entitled to NMW. From an employers point of view it's a lot of money spent in someone who can't make any return for a while. And to know they were working self employees in the side would be even more of a negative.

That's my opinion though as not every salon owners opinion.

Jemima :)

Though i would be offering a return straight away as i would have a level three diploma in nails and could do that straight away. Maybe bigger salons or spas would be more inclined to take on.

Its just im not convinced its going to be possible to get a job after doing a qualification, salons want experience dont they?!

If you're an apprentice hairdresser, how would they get a return out of you having a nail qualification? Especially if you're running a nail business on the side?

Im talking about trainee beauty therapy not hairdressing guys, sorry if that wasnt clear. A beauty salon would be doing nail services i presume.

Not sure also what people do in time after work is the business of employers? As long as it doesnt affect the work you are doing during work hours. I mean if i was working at a salon till six went home had a person for nails and they wondered if i did waxing for eg i would go 'no but i can reccommend a great salon....' its not like i would be poaching clients or anything. Dont most people have to do a few things these days to make ends meet? Sorry, just curious about all this,thinking how i could support myself properly through training.

Anyway this is getting off topic. I just wondered if anyone else is on here thinking of changing careers and how they are thinking about doing it and stuff. Really stressing myself out trying to work it all out money wise.

It's a standard clause in all employment contracts that you cannot set up or run a business in competition with your employer.
Remember that you'll be up against less expensive, fully trained therapists, who represent a decent ROI.
You will need to be paid the same as them, plus you require training, plus you work in competition.
I'm not trying to be mean, just saying how an employer would think.

Ah ok i understand. I will have to do my research more thoroughly. Though does it matter the area you work in? It really does seem to be impossible to do after a certain age then. I mean i have a partner but not sure how he would feel about supporting us both for a year eeeep. Thanks for the advice. Gotta be pretty realistic about how hard it is gonna be to make this career leap.

I am doing it at 28 yrs old but accepted we are earning a lot less for a short amount of time. I have a child and a husband and I am pregnant. My husband is also beginning a new career so not earning much.

It is possible to get a 24+ loan but only for level 3.

I am in the mature group at college (18-40) and several of us have found salon work.

No its not easy and you wont earn loads right away but its bettering my life long term.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ah good on you! I dont even have half the responsibilities you have, and i would find it stressful. It will be worth it. :-D i didnt know you couldnt get funding for level two, thats good to know also. Glad i posted this now it would have been unwise for me to have persued the apprentice/business thing. Saved me some heartache.

I think what i will focus on doing is learning to drive and then getting level two b.t with a private college and focus on my own mobile business. Really give that a go and build up skills and confidence. Then maybe look at doing level three and getting a job. Maybe renting a table? Theres just so many options. Thats the great thing with this business though.

Thanks for the advice, and good luck with your college course.

I went into beauty after uni and what worked for me was to do the courses and then look for work in spas after work experience. Spas can be easier to get into than salons because of high staff turnover but it can be worth it for the experience and salons can be a bit hit and miss in terms of employment vs self employment.

I think it can be more financially viable to do your training whilst working in another job (I did retail) because apprentiships take longer and pay so little. You could earn that in a weekend job whilst still going to college.

I see that you're in Manchester so I would urge you to call white rose central college of health and beauty in Manchester tomorrow. I believe that they are about to begin some nvq courses soon and their prices are competitive with other colleges and the teaching is excellent. You can be qualified as soon as six months and it allows time to work around it. Thos sounds like it would be ideal for you.

Being in this industry because you choose to be is a good thing :) admittedly after a few years I am questioning whether I want to do something with my degree because I now want to go where there's more money but all the same if you can be a graduate with a practical skill it can definitely give you an edge and a route out of general jobs.

Good luck :)

Hey guys, just wondered what peoples opinions where about changing careers and more than halving a solid wage to take on an apprenticship?

I am 25 and have a degree and i dont have children so it seems funding options are limited and i dont want to get into a massive amount of debt considering i would be earning hundred pounds a week.

I am currently doing the cnd complete course and hoping to turn it into an itec so not sure if salons would see this skill and consider me over a younger cheaper applicant?

I was thinking about doing my mobile nails on the side while at the salon....but is it worth the risk? Ive been doing some research and it seems apprenticeships give you good experience and i just want to dive in and start doing it and immersing myself in the evironment.

Any salon owners on here taken on or would think of taking on a more mature applicant and would you pay them a bit more if thay had a skill like nails already?

Ta lovlies. Xx

You could do nvq 3 beauty therapy massage route first and this could lead to employment in a spa and then you could do this part time whilst also doing your level 2.

Not the most logical way you can do it but just thinking in terms of the fact that it can be easier to get funding for level 3 re 24plus loan.

Hi Emmy,

I'm in kind of the same position as you. I qualified in Manicure/pedicure and Gelish last year. I have a full time job so did clients in the evenings, but really wanted the salon experience.

Luckily I've found a salon who was willing to take me on a couple of evenings a week and every other Sat. I've only been there 3 weeks, but the amount I have learnt has been unbelievable already and my nails have improved hugely from getting tips from other therapists. Eventually I would love to do this full time, so it's a good way to be building my clients on the side until I'm really booked up enough to leave my day job.

With the money I earn from the salon I will save and put towards other courses so I will learn everything and gain more clients in the meantime.

Oh and I'm 28, so know exactly how you feel! Good Luck, and keep us updated with your progress :hug:xx

I'm 33 and re-training in beauty now. I worked in a very corporate environment before I had my children and once I had my second I didn't want to do that anymore.
I have been lucky as I secured a part time job in a spa evenings and weekends doing a couple of inhouse treatments and I am half way through my nvq 2 with a private training provider. I took out an interest free credit card to pay for it! I will have finished my nvq 3 by November and am hoping the experience plus quals will allow me to go into a salon. I haven't had anything except positivity about my age! It seems that some people prefer a more mature outlook?

A lot of older people do beauty because they want to rather than because they feel they have to because they went straight into it after school. Obviously I am generalising a bit because you can get very enthusiastic younger people too but yeah.

A mature outlook and genuine enthusiasm is certainly something that people value :)

I'm doing level 3 nail technician on a 24+ loan you don't have to start paying it back til 2016 and once you earn over £16k a year then it comes out of your wage the lowest I think is £13 a month. I know wgat you mean though about salon experience I really would like to do a couple of hours a week in a salon just so I gain some experience. I think you will find an apprenticeship some people prefer mature students. Good luck hope you find something!

Latest posts

Back