Opinions on Skinmate microdermabrasion & high frequency machines?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mook

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi - I'm launching a business by myself next month with a simple treatment menu including microdermabrasion and high frequency. I'm considering the skinmate machines due to the price point, but wondered if anyone who has used them could share their thoughts. Are they good? Are they noisy? Are the manuals clear making them easy to use? Where best to buy them in the UK? etc etc. It would be greatly appreciated.

Hi mook,

Welcome to the forum. Exciting to be launching your business. Don't spend a great deal at this stage just in case you are not as busy as you would like so being conservative is a safe bet.
Look into PJS Beauty salon Equipment supplies as an alternative to Skinmate. I have their microcurrent machine and it was very well priced.

Even if you are level 3 Beauty trained sometimes it is worth getting brand specific training in, as the manuals aren't always comprehensive enough. However with High frequency it is a very simple treatment and you really wouldn't need it IMO. I couldn't comment on Microdermabrasion as It isn't something I do sorry.
Have you tried "HOF" suppliers? They sell PJS and Skinmate machines so you could directly compare the two.

Yes buy in the UK as your warranty is guaranteed to be legit. Good luck.

I trained on equipment supplied by PJS beauty salon equipment at The London School of Beauty and Make-up. It’s an extremely successful beauty academy so their equipment gets used hard and there weren’t any poblems with equipment during the 18 months that I was with them.

I’ve met Paul several times at beauty shows, he knows his stuff and has been in the industry for years. When I first set up my business I bought all my beauty machines from him.

You could always enquire of a training venue near you if you could book in a day’s refresher training and bring along your machine. You can gain confidence and feel reassured. As long as you have your facial electrics qualification to include microdermabrasion there’s no reason to feel anxious about different machines - they all work along the same principles and there’s not a lot that can go wrong. Paul sells replacement cables and accessories if you ever need them.

Remember to get a regular PAT for your equipment. The chap I use does a lot of beauty salons so he understands the machinery. He charges about £1 an item and it costs me around £150 a year. It reassures me that I don’t need to send off items to the manufacturer for “servicing” - with the basic machines there’s nothing to service, it’s just a wiring and earthing check.

The products that you combine with your machine will really set you apart. Don’t just buy a beauty wholesaler own brand, the quality really matters. I don’t offer these sorts of facials anymore but I used to love Arcaya ampoules - here’s a link to a review from Professional Beauty Magazine ProfessionalBeauty -PB tried: Arcaya Ampoules

I’d also recommend considering a 4 or more services in one machine to include ultrasound. Microcurrent is also popular. If you can stretch your budget

You can use ultrasound for serums that don’t ionise so it gives you more options, and it’s fabulous around the eyes - just remember that the lower the sound wave the deeper it penetrates so 1MHz is for body, 3 MHz for facials as the tissues are much thinner and 5MHz for the delicate eye area. I prefer ultrasound mainly because I don’t need to Earth the client and it’s very lifting. High frequency is better for break outs, so the two modalities work well together. I also think that ultrasound is longer lasting than microcurrent because it works deeper so clients don’t feel that it “wears off” as they do with microcurrent. But then I find microcurrent boring so I’m not a fan, even though clients will pay extra because it looks high tech.

Latest posts

Back