Organic Food

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPIGeek

Reaction score
Just pondering over the internet about organic food, we really would prefer to have it and at times the supermarket is way overpriced... so local markets should be the point of call.

But what if you dont have one? I dont...

I have a fruit and veg shop across the road but its just a shop, not organic..

The craze for everything online also extends to fruit and veg which can be delivered to your door...

Where do you guys buy your fruit and veg from?

Would you consider buying off the net?

Do you shop online on your supermarkets website or visit in person?
:)

Hey you,

I don't buy perishables off the net as you are never sure if they will give you the best quality. I go to my local market or Tesco.

It's hard to find organic farms in London unless you drive out to the borders.

You could try the fruit and veg market in covent garden that is open from 5am, cant think of the name for now lol.

I think the covent garden one is called farmaround? I just saw their website and they say they are based in Covent Garden Market ( a place ive never been to before and keep saying i want to go)

Thing is all this is new to me, ive been brought up on either M&S or other supermarket food and never looked at or trusted other sources..

I used to go to the Sunday Market in Wembley and saw people selling fruit and veg but I was young then and used to get scared by men screaming out "COME AND GET YOUR FRESH BANANAS FOR 25 p... THATS FRESH BANANAS" I used to jump out of my skin and run as far as i could... lol havent been back since...

I go to the supermarket and decide on buying more fruit and veg, and i will have a couple of bags with that and some other on offer goods and still spend 30 quid... im sure there must be a cheaper way.

Maybe i should try buying my shopping online from supermarkets, so i only buy the essentials.. but then to add delivery cost... ARRRGHHHHH! :grr:

I buy organic fruit, veg and milk every week from a company called Riverford. Here is the link:
www.riverford.co.uk
My big box is delivered to my door free of charge every Friday teatime. On the website I can see what will be in my box, so I can plan meals and make any changes to my order. Also with my order I get a little newsletter and a recipe. I've now tried all sorts of weird and wonderful veg that I never even knew existed before, such as strange varieties of cabbage etc.
They also sell organic yogurt, wine, fruit juice...
You can definitely taste the difference.
I can only recommend this company.

Debbie

Sounds great Debs...

The other thing that puts me off buying off the sites is that you dont get to choose each individual item that goes into the box... u choose a type of box and know the general contents only.

Hmph

Where do you guys buy your fruit and veg from?

I get mine from Normanton Market and I buy the Yorkshire Grown produce to help support other small businesses.

I actually get my fruit and veg from a local organic veg box scheme called Willow Nursery. Petra and Colin grow my vegetables for me and look after my chickens!

I buy things like brown rice, tinned tomatoes in bulk from a nearby organic wholesaler, Infinity Foods (they also have a great shop).

Smaller items i buy from a local health food shop or from Waitrose (which is actually the nearest supermarket to me). Occasional bits from the cheap and cheerful "scoop and save" type shop and the monthly local farmers market.

Sorry to ask a question in your thread but i dont know a lot about Organic food - can anyone fill me in?? Sorry if i sound totally thick!!!?

Hi Shelley,

You never need to apologise, this thread is perfect to ask such a thing..
here are some facts which might help

Organic produce is not covered in a cocktail of poisonous chemicals. The average conventionally-grown apple has 20-30 artificial poisons on its skin, even after rinsing.

Fresh organic produce contains on average 50% more vitamins, minerals, enzymes and other micro-nutrients than intensively farmed produce. Science says that it's good for you.

If you eat dairy or meat products, going organic has never been more essential to safeguard you and your family's health. Intensively-reared dairy cows and farm animals are fed a dangerous cocktail of anti-biotics, growth promoting drugs, anti-parasite drugs and many other medicines on a daily basis, whether they have an illness or not. These drugs are passed directly onto the consumers of their dairy produce or meat., which must be a contributing factor to meat-related diseases like coronaries and high blood pressure.

Organic produce simply tastes so much better. Fruit and vegetables full of juice and flavour, and so many different varieties to try! There are about 100 different kinds of organic potatoes in production in the UK, and that's just potatoes!

Hope that helps a bit :)

OPIGeek

OPIGeek said:
Hi Shelley,

You never need to apologise, this thread is perfect to ask such a thing..
here are some facts which might help

Organic produce is not covered in a cocktail of poisonous chemicals. The average conventionally-grown apple has 20-30 artificial poisons on its skin, even after rinsing.

Fresh organic produce contains on average 50% more vitamins, minerals, enzymes and other micro-nutrients than intensively farmed produce. Science says that it's good for you.

If you eat dairy or meat products, going organic has never been more essential to safeguard you and your family's health. Intensively-reared dairy cows and farm animals are fed a dangerous cocktail of anti-biotics, growth promoting drugs, anti-parasite drugs and many other medicines on a daily basis, whether they have an illness or not. These drugs are passed directly onto the consumers of their dairy produce or meat., which must be a contributing factor to meat-related diseases like coronaries and high blood pressure.

Organic produce simply tastes so much better. Fruit and vegetables full of juice and flavour, and so many different varieties to try! There are about 100 different kinds of organic potatoes in production in the UK, and that's just potatoes!

Hope that helps a bit :)

OPIGeek

Hope that helps a little..
Thanx you are a star xxxxxx

Latest posts

Back