Overlays

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Mandy829

Reaction score
If you are doing overlays on natural nails what is the best system to use? I have fiberglass overlays on my natural nails now and they just don't seem to be working out for me right now. :cry:I can't quite seem to get the capping on the free edge very well and i get lifting. I am a picker so i will pick at it if there is any lifting. Because i am doing them on myself i would like a relatively easy system so i am not spending hours on myslef. What are your suggestions. Seen as though i do others nails its very hard for me to have my natural nails at a good length so i am looking for something strong to protect them. What does everyone else use and is the best to use? Thanks for the help. :lol:

ValencianNails

Positivity rules!
Reaction score
Regardless of which system you use you always have to cap the natural nail when doing NNO's.
It's easier to cap the nail if you're using gel or L+P because you can apply a form and take the product slightly over the free edge to make sure it's sealed.

I see on your profile that you're a typist, are you sure that your job doesn't have anything to do with the problem?

hth's a bit

Mandy829

Reaction score
I can't imagine that using a keyboard would have anything to do with it. i keep my nails short for this particular reason. I actually took the liberty to soak off the fiberglass and try l&p. I just used a clear. Maybe fiberglass just isn't for me. I like the l&p. I never tried it before becasue i was afraid of trying to do my right hand with my left seen as though i am a rightie. But they came out pretty good. I didn't use a form though becasue i didn't have any. When i go to do my fill if i use a form can i extend them a little that way and hopefull they won't lift at the free edge? Is this something i coud do or should i have used a form to begin with and can't use one now to extend them?

ValencianNails

Positivity rules!
Reaction score
When I go to do my fill if I use a form can I extend them a little that way and hopeful they won't lift at the free edge? Is this something I could do or should I have used a form to begin with and can't use one now to extend them?
Yes, you can use a form when rebalancing to extend the free edge slightly :green:

When you used fibreglass did you run the resin brush along the free edge to cap the nail?

hth's

Mandy829

Reaction score
I did, but i could see where there was dirt and stuff getting between the nail and the fiberglass. Not sure what i am doing wrong there. I am going with the acrylic for now and seeing how those hold up. i am wondering if i am just to heavy handed for fiberglass. I am fairly inexperienced with the acrylic so this should be interesting. I see the chats that everyone has and talks about apex's and stuff and get very upset becasue i didn't learn any of that in my class as a nail tech. then agian it was pretty much teach yourself so i don't know how i even know anything. i don't even know how to get a good apex or where it should be. I did a fill for my sister yesterday and feel as though it was not a good one. I don't know. :cry:

ValencianNails

Positivity rules!
Reaction score

Mandy829

Reaction score
Thank you i find that these are very informative. Hopefully they will help. I need to do a rebalance on my own nails as they are getting a little to long than i am used to. Hopefully i can use these tips and they wil come out good.

chantell simone

Reaction score
personally i prefer to do natural nail overlays in gel or fibreglass

practice loads and you will get there

also this site is great for info and helpful tips/advice

Mandy829

Reaction score
well i think i would prefer to use gel as well but do not have a curing lamp to do them. So i am making do with what i have at the moment and acrylic is it. i have tried the fiberglass and they just weren't working for me. Not sure if its me or what. But the acrylic seems to be doing really well on my nails. i haven't had a problem as of yet and will be doing a rebalance in a day or so so we will see how that goes. I guess i would like to see what the majority of my clientele would like so that can be the one i get the most practice on but i don't have a clientele yet. my sister is the only one i do enhancements for so far and she wanted me to do the one i felt most uncomfortable with so i can get good practice. She sure is a sport. So i am hoping that i can find more people that will let me get some practice one them so i can get good. I work full time but would really like to further a career in nails because i just love doing them.

Latest posts