Part time hairdressing courses? help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessi

Reaction score
Hiya

Im 18 years old and work as a full time admin assistant, ive been in this position since i left shool 2 years ago- Im getting sick of working in an office and I am now looking for a change, i have always been intrested in hairdressing but just never got the chance to do it because ive been independent since I was 16, Ive looked into a local college and they do a part time course in the evening for nvq level 2, two days a week, I would love to do this course and it fits into my lifestyle as I have to keep on working otherwise I cant pay the rent on my flat it will all fall down on my partner & i simply cannot afford to stop full time work & live off benefits.

However, the course dosent give an indication as to what ages are allowed to do this part time course, and it dosent say anything about you have to be working in a salon, so my question is, will i be able to do this course as I am only 18? I always thought part time courses were for 'adults' over 19? can I still apply, ive been trying to get in touch with the college in question but I am still waiting for a callback/email.

Regards

Jessi

hi, erm i'm ot sure whether or not you need be working a salon but it will definatly help. you cannot... in my opinion.... learn hairdressing doing a few hours a week on a night course, you need to be in a salon and watching and taking in all the different things that are needed, it is such a complex job, it needs your full attention, to be a good stylist you need to be hands on at all times.
but thats just my opinion, i DO NOT think if you did full time college that you come out prepared at all for te real (hairdressing) world,
could you not look around for a apprenteship?? anything to get you at least into a salon,
as for your age is is fine at any age. i recently did my level 3 part time.... one day a week and there were loads my age (25) and older
best of luck xx

Hey Jessi,

Try giving City and Guilds a call, they should be able to offer you some advice and also give you different training providers in your area which can accommodate your needs and method of training, i.e. as above training via an apprenticeship.

There are so many colleges and trianing academies, the best thing to do is to look into as many options as possible and then decide what will work best for you, finanically and as a career.

The other thing is, if you do decide to do a full time course, you may well be able to get funding to do so.

Good luck

MHD x x x

I have just completed a 2 year evening hairdressing NVQ level 2. I can tell you that 18 year olds were allowed on my course, but each college might be different.

I can also tell you that I agree that you will not learn everything from the course, but it is as good a start as any. I am now still working my office job part time so I can pay my bills, but I am also training in a salon, where once the boss feels I'm competent he will put me on the books and I can give up my job. I'm not getting paid in the salon as I'm doing it voluntary and choose when I go in, but he's definitely not taking advantage of me, as the models I work on are having free haircuts, and any colours I do, the client pays for the products only. We are in a win-win situation, as he will eventually be able to take more time off (which is why he's doing this) and I am gaining valuable salon training.

I won't try and sugar coat it, it's hard work, I can guarantee you the only person on my course who didn't end up in tears at some time was the tutor (and she was close on more than one occasion!), there've been posts on here proving that I was about to give up several times, but when you still have bills to pay, if you are willing to knuckle down and work hard, you can do it.

I wish you every luck with this, you're in a similar position to me and I now feel that from 16 to 39 years old I have never had a good job that I enjoyed, but after doing my courses I feel that I am gaining skills that will mean I can have a career for the rest of my life.

:hug::hug::hug:

forgot to say, on my course we had to do 30 hours voluntary in a salon, they're raising the amount of hours this year.

Also, if this is your first NVQ level 2 it should be free (think it's free to under 19's anyway), you need to look into student funding as you may get help with cost of uniform, kit etc. too. There's a website that's really helpful, Student Finance or something like that.

Latest posts

Back