Pay what you think it is worth?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily-Louise

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I am looking for some models to complete some case studies for me over the next few weeks. I have a group on facebook and am sending a message out to everyone listing the treatments I am looking for models for and explaining what it involves (paperwork, photos etc).

I have tried it before and not many people came back to me so I was thinking about something along the lines of pay what you think it is worth for those treatments!

I was wondering if anyone had tried it before and what happened? I thought the other alternative might be auctions on facebook like some other geeks do for their treatments?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Em :)

Hi Geeks,

I am looking for some models to complete some case studies for me over the next few weeks. I have a group on facebook and am sending a message out to everyone listing the treatments I am looking for models for and explaining what it involves (paperwork, photos etc).

I have tried it before and not many people came back to me so I was thinking about something along the lines of pay what you think it is worth for those treatments!

I was wondering if anyone had tried it before and what happened? I thought the other alternative might be auctions on facebook like some other geeks do for their treatments?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

When I've wanted models for my training/assesments I've not charged them at all because they are doing me a favour by being a model.
It's more of an incentive to be a model if your getting a treatment for free.
I now have a short list of people wanting to be models for me and as I near the end of my training and my work is improving (in college doing nail extensions) I'm asking the early models back so they get to have a better set done as a thank you for putting up with my poorer work in the beggining.
I'm due to do a massage course at the end of the month and need models for the training and then more models/friends for me to practice on afterwards until I feel confident in my technique. As you can imagine there are plenty of people willing to model for that treatment lol. Not so many offered to be a waxing model though.

I also have never charged my models. In fact I usually used to transport them and buy them a coffee while they wait for me to set up. They are doing me a favor.

I believe VTCT say you have to be assessed on paying clients but at colleges this is usually £2 per evening, and if you get 3 treatments in then thats still just £2. And even then, if I'm honest I used to pay it.

HTH. These people may be your very loyal customers and the people who get the word of mouth going for you in the future. :hug:

As a model for a treatment people enjoy it because they get to engage in the process, get a discounted treatment and have very little to think about.

Personally I think that the 'pay what you think its worth' idea actually puts a lot of pressure on the model as they are sat face to face with you having to come up with a figure. As a race, we are polite people and are inclined to just 'go along with' stuff for fear of offending. Hence why we are a country of price tags and not a lot of haggling. I imagine the result of such a question would mean most of them would actually over pay compared to what they really thinks its worth, for fear of looking mean, cheap or offensive.

The other side of the coin are the people who will tell you they are naff and only worth a couple of quid just so they dont have to pay much when they are quite happy. I dont think you would get a true indication of what people would really pay for them in the market and a lot maybe put off by the question to start with.

Thank you for all your comments they have been really helpful. So would it be better to suggest a set amount to cover products, petrol etc or offer it for free?

Thanks

Thank you for all your comments they have been really helpful. So would it be better to suggest a set amount to cover products, petrol etc or offer it for free?

Thanks

That depends.

If you need a person to spend a lot of time sitting about waiting for you (while you go through things with a tutor or something), form filling or answering lots of questions and then they get a full treatment - I'd say it should be free as a thank you for all the time they've given you.

If your giving them the treatment for you to practice and there is very little inconvienienceto them and minimum form filling (basic consultion for example) then they could pay a set amount to cover your product costs.

When I take someone to college with me I pick them up take them there, do minimum college theory work (if any) then get on with doing the consultation and a set of nails. We do aftercare advice and get feedback from them and my tutor and I take them home.
I do not charge anything for this as these people have to give up their time and fit in with what I want when I want it (set college times & days etc).

If a friend offers to be a model at my or her house because she'd like a set of nails then I charge to cover my costs as this is not being watched by my tutor or assesed. It is done as a favour to them and I get to practice so win win. They get cheap nails I get practice.

Hope this helps you to decide which way your going to go.

Thanks for your comment. There will be form filling but I will go to them or they can come to me. No college/tutor involvement etc. I am confident in the treatments just need someone to fill out the paperwork to say so and enable me to complete the IHBC and NVQ qualifications, not so much to build confidence/competence etc.

Thanks for your comment. There will be form filling but I will go to them or they can come to me. No college/tutor involvement etc. I am confident in the treatments just need someone to fill out the paperwork to say so and enable me to complete the IHBC and NVQ qualifications, not so much to build confidence/competence etc.

In that case you colud see if they are willing to pay for the costs of your products.

It also depends if you think you'd get the models in quicker if it was free instead of a mimimal charge.

I think I'd do it free in your situation as I'd want to get it done asap to be able to qualify and then start charging but that's a choice only you can make really.

Latest posts

Back