Percentage of takings on staff costs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonRee

Reaction score
What percentage of your incoming goes to rent, and what goes to staff etc? I'm trying to find if there is a standard percentage or aim?

That's hard to answer as my takings fluctuate hugely!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Have you read any of Simon Lotinga's books? If not you can get a free download here The Successful Salon Club - Blog
There is a great section about how to aim to split your % costs to ensure you make a profit.
profit 20%
Rent & rates 5%
wages 40%
vat 13%
stock 14%
sundries (this is all of your other overheads and spending) 8%

Businesses will vary eg my rent is higher but I save on wages and sundries by a few % and so still make 20% profit. It really makes you think!

There are two ways to look at these. There is pricing for your services before you do a treatment and there is the end of the year "what return did I get for my investment of time and money"

If you keep your labour costs to between 33/30/25% of your turnover you're doing ok. That means that for every £1 you pay out in labour you need to make £3.

I work on £1 for labour, £1 for the salon, £1 for the client treatment as a rough rule of thumb. I then finesse my overheads to try and get the salon costs and client treatment costs down to 25% each (retailing products helps!) that gives me my profit !

Latest posts

Back