Perming?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nad1a

Reaction score
Hi, we were not taught this in level 2 and level 3 is not doing it either :(.

I have a lot of people asking me for perms (family).

Is there any way I can learn this or is it really that difficult?
It's basically just winding the hair round rods and applying the perm lotion/neutraliser, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

Hi I think it's a shame it's become an optional extra course at colleges , we still do a lot of perms in our salon and I permed a young lads hair on weds he wanted a joey Essex style 😀 you can do it as an extra course at most colleges. It is a skill and you should know the theory behind it too .

Hi I think it's a shame it's become an optional extra course at colleges , we still do a lot of perms in our salon and I permed a young lads hair on weds he wanted a joey Essex style 😀 you can do it as an extra course at most colleges. It is a skill and you should know the theory behind it too .

Thanks. My college does not even offer it as a extra course. My granny is paying a fortune for a perm and her own grand daughter can't even offer to do it, it's so annoying lol.

It's a huge disservice to the industry that a large percent of colleges have stopped teaching perming... I love perming!
You would definitely need to learn all about perming first... If you're not trained your insurance probably wouldn't cover you..
Perming isn't just about curling hair, it teaches you all about the structure of
The hair and the bonds within... Much of the same theory can be applied to chemical straightening and relaxing.
Is it worth complaining to the college?

I know that Wella do a perming course there's so many different ways to perm to achive different looks. You will defanatly need to do a course. I think a lot more younger clients are having perms these day. defiantly worth doing it good look xx.

It's a huge disservice to the industry that a large percent of colleges have stopped teaching perming... I love perming!
You would definitely need to learn all about perming first... If you're not trained your insurance probably wouldn't cover you..
Perming isn't just about curling hair, it teaches you all about the structure of
The hair and the bonds within... Much of the same theory can be applied to chemical straightening and relaxing.
Is it worth complaining to the college?

Thanks. Yeh I was looking online but it sounded very complicated and I wasn't sure I wanted to be dabbling in things I've had no training it. My mum insists its "easy" n it's just like doing a set :s

I wasn't taught in my level 2 or 3 either as we were told it was a dying trade and we would struggle to get clients in to be assessed on.
Luckily my boss has been great at teaching me perming on the job. I started learning loads by just watching him and the other stylist do it, then he just got me to wind or neutralise for him etc, gradually building up to me having now done 4 perms on my own within the last few weeks. It certainly doesn't seem to be dying out as much as we were told! And I'm really enjoying learning and doing something different.
I'd say there's lots to it and lots to remember and factors to consider so as not to damage the hair. I found it quite nerve wracking at first.... A bit like the first time ever using bleach and thinking you're going to snap someone's hair off! Lol. But practise makes perfect I guess. Hope you find a way of learning it, I think every skill you can have is an advantage :)

Perhaps if there are enough of you in your class willing to learn they will put on a course for you? I think perming has made a bit of a come back lately. Lots of people see it as a 'granny' treatment but there's so many different styles you can achieve with a perm x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Check with your colour house - if they supply perm solutions they should also offer training.

In terms of doing your gran's hair, if shes happy to sit for as long as it takes, then shes your best perming client to have.

Perming is more complicated than a set. Its really important how you wind the hair, how big your sections are to your roller size for getting an even curl result. Selecting the correct rollers size is also another important aspect of perming. Placing your rods so that your band doesnt leave an indent on the hair (because it will be permed in).
Another thing to consider is making sure you have the right tension on your rods. too loose will give you an uneven curl, too tight and you can give "Pull Burns".

Doing a perming course will help you with some beautiful rolling techniques and rod placement. There's more out there than just your classic wind.

Good Luck.

hiya, perming is a real science, if you can read up on the process it will be easier to do the praticle side. i work in a village salon with a lot of seniors and to be fair learnt and prefected perming in there rather than at college. might be worth finding a salon that have a lot of senior clientel and ask for a work experience?/

I do love perming. Luckily I learnt to perm when I did my Afro hair course many yrs ago. I really do think they should teach perming in colleges now as soon enough perming will be on trend again & some stylists will have to tern clients away as they won't be able to do the service.

Hi, we were not taught this in level 2 and level 3 is not doing it either :(.

I have a lot of people asking me for perms (family).

Is there any way I can learn this or is it really that difficult?
It's basically just winding the hair round rods and applying the perm lotion/neutraliser, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

I can't believe this, a hairdresser friend I know didn't cover barbering,perming or even proper blowdrying on her course just rough during and straightening! I covered all in my level 2 (tho was 12 years ago) x

I can't believe this, a hairdresser friend I know didn't cover barbering,perming or even proper blowdrying on her course just rough during and straightening! I covered all in my level 2 (tho was 12 years ago) x

We were taught proper blow drying but not barbering or perming. Luckily there was a night class for barbering which I paid extra for :).. Pretty sure they used to do perming in level 2 at my college but they cut the unit out (and barbering) so the course could be done in 1 year instead of 2. There's perming supplies in the dispensary at college but it is not on the price lists or in the course contents. You would think they would offer it as an extra, short course but disappointingly not!

Well I cannot believe my luck!

My college just posted a notice about an evening perming class that will be running!

Eeek! Perfect timing :)

You don't have to go to a course for Perm just practise you can do it yourself how to put the roles and when you ready to do perm just read company's instruction how to apply lotion andl neuralise that is it there is nothing more in to it at all.

I'm a mobile hairdresser and I still do a few perms .. Well worth being taught I think . You never know what's next to be in line for the new hairstyle so always best to have it If u can :) x

I'm so glad that you'll be able to take a course. There really is a lot to know about chemical texture services. You could really damage someone's hair (or skin) if it's not done properly. And if one doesn't really understand the science behind the procedure, it's difficult to make the right decisions when something goes awry.

I'm so glad that you'll be able to take a course. There really is a lot to know about chemical texture services. You could really damage someone's hair (or skin) if it's not done properly. And if one doesn't really understand the science behind the procedure, it's difficult to make the right decisions when something goes awry.

Exactly, I'm sure I'd manage putting in the rods and applying/rinsing the chemicals easy enough without training... But it's choosing what products to use for different hair textures etc that's got me puzzled. I wouldn't want to damage someone's hair or skin. :)

You don't have to go to a course for Perm just practise you can do it yourself how to put the roles and when you ready to do perm just read company's instruction how to apply lotion andl neuralise that is it there is nothing more in to it at all.

If you've not been trained in perming, you are unlikely to be covered by your insurer if you run into problems, as you're dealing with strong chemicals that can cause serious harm if used incorrectly.

It's well worth taking a short course and learning about the different types of perming solutions: acid/alkaline/exothermic/endothermic etc. plus how to achieve a variety of effects through different perm winds.

There's a lot more to it than simple 'old lady' type perms...

We had to do 2 winds for level 2 and 3 for level 3 on the ivq but as I studied in Dubai had no volunteers and was only able to 'pass' on a blockhead.
It's hard to even get solution here as everyone's wanting rid of curls not adding them.
I would think tho that these days people would love to have have hair permed in big bouncy curls like Victoria's Secret instead of weekly blow dries, is something I'd def promote in the UK if worked there (once I'd worked out how best to achieve this of course!)
Can't wait til I'm back one day with my own salon! Have so much I want to learn still.

Latest posts

Back