Pointless Thread II: How to you apply a basic tint?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamlea87

Reaction score
How do you guys apply a full head tint? I generally follow the Sassoon method, although for most lengths I usually use a plastic YS Park Tail comb rather than a Cutting comb.

I work up from the nape in the back two quadrants, and away from the face below the recession on the sides and then taking partings downwards up to the top parting.

My tip: always keep a piece of cotten moistened with stain remover on your trolley to remove colour immediately before it stains.
Tip 2: apply dark tint at the nape by combing on tint to the comb to avoid staining.

Too basic? That is the point of my "pointless threads" :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Section into four quarters. Do all around front and back hairline and hot cross bun. The take the sections diagonally across each quarter, working from the point where all 4 quadrants meet and working downwards. Sounds way more complicated than it is reading it back!
It's interesting hearing other people's methods though.

My tip: Forget the stain remover. Learn how to apply properly first and how to remove using tint itself.

You're welcome!

I find with loreal you defo need to tackle the staining asap!

Profile parting, radial parting. If there's White hair starts on front two quarters, natural hair work on back two quarters first.

Don't apply hairline first as the hair is finer so can create dark shadow around face (where they can see it)

My tip: Forget the stain remover. Learn how to apply properly first and how to remove using tint itself.

You're welcome!

Haha I agree best practice is to avoid putting colour on the skin in the first place.

I find with loreal you defo need to tackle the staining asap!

Profile parting, radial parting. If there's White hair starts on front two quarters, natural hair work on back two quarters first.

Don't apply hairline first as the hair is finer so can create dark shadow around face (where they can see it)

Totally agree with hairline point. Don't you find staining is virtually non-existant with INOA? X

Totally agree with hairline point. Don't you find staining is virtually non-existant with INOA? X

Second the hair line I always do mine last! If I do happen to have any staining I rub tint on tint before washing off always works for me! X

Haha I agree best practice is to avoid putting colour on the skin in the first place.

I can't tell you how many people are sloppy when applying tint! Drives me mad.

I can't tell you how many people are sloppy when applying tint! Drives me mad.

Cant be helped when people have all that baby hair at the front that needs covering - I'd rather get it on the skin that not colour their white hair.

Hmmm it's better - we are mainly INOA anyway.

I'm used to Goldwell washing clean - no staining.

Cant be helped when people have all that baby hair at the front that needs covering - I'd rather get it on the skin that not colour their white hair.

Can still be done neatly though. I'm talking about those who don't watch what they are doing and just make a mess.

On the point of staining when someone from nioxin came with the microscope probe she showed us how colour stained the dead/dry skin on the scalp. IIRC She recommended clients exfoliate before colour to avoid staining. Anyone want to elaborate on this?

We have to be really quick in the salon, so i first apply colour to the parting the client wears. From that I go parallel until I reach the ear and go ahead to the other side of the parting. Then I apply from the crown down til the nape in one section. Flip it all back and then start to balayage beginning from the nape in the other direction til I reach her usual parting. Or just don't and let her sit :) we hardly pull colour through!

Oh and beforehand I apply a protective additive to the contures to avoid dark temples and staining. (Everytime I use something darker than a level 7)

On the point of staining when someone from nioxin came with the microscope probe she showed us how colour stained the dead/dry skin on the scalp. IIRC She recommended clients exfoliate before colour to avoid staining. Anyone want to elaborate on this?

Ideally every client should come with exfoliated 3 days old hair with no styling products inside. You could give them a sample of a peeling shampoo when testing on allergies!

But would not the peeling enable the dye molecules to penetrade deeper into the scalp? At least more evenly 😝

It depends very much on the clients hair but I never apply to the front hairline first as the hair is finer round there.
I don't get any staining because I work very neatly. We use a PM colour remover if needs be be inoa really doesn't stain.
I also use a plastic tail comb.
I want Adam to colour my hair, he sounds like a genius .

I'm old school hot cross bun method, hot cross then hairline (if dark) (last if bleach) then through each quadrant front first if there's a lot of grey there, or back sections first if bleaching, then once more over the hairline just to be sure I've got those sneaky greys in, I'm super careful of the skin around the hairline & literally only cover the hair I can't stand it when my client comes back to me with a dark line around their face! I prefer to rinse my own colours off tho the juniors don't emulsify it enough around the hairline, tint removes tint so easily as long as there's not too much water involved

I'm old school hot cross bun method, hot cross then hairline (if dark) (last if bleach) then through each quadrant front first if there's a lot of grey there, or back sections first if bleaching, then once more over the hairline just to be sure I've got those sneaky greys in, I'm super careful of the skin around the hairline & literally only cover the hair I can't stand it when my client comes back to me with a dark line around their face! I prefer to rinse my own colours off tho the juniors don't emulsify it enough around the hairline, tint removes tint so easily as long as there's not too much water involved

Ditto! & have to shampoo my own colours off too!

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back