Prices for different therapists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautylover21

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I'm at the stage where I need to print some more price lists and am going to increase my prices (haven't put them up for over 2years) and I'm thinking about putting the prices into 3 grades depending on the therapists experience.

This is obviously something that the hairdressing world does, but you don't often see it within beauty.

My main reason for wanting to do it, is I don't think its fair for clients to pay the same price for a therapist with one years experience to a therapist with 10 years experience.

I'd be grateful to hear what you think.

Thanks x

I'm not sure,

I see your thinking but personally I've seen girls with one years experience with more talent than therapists with years and years.

The hairdressing world is graded on levels of qualifications I.e junior senior etc advanced. .

I like the concept but I'd feel insulted to be the lower end therapist because of how many years I'd been qualified.

Just an opinion

Hmmm, i can see the logic behind it but I'm not sure if it would work. I think that with hair, the more you pay the better experienced the stylist is to be able to deliver what you want.

With beauty however, regardless of therapist experience certain stuff has to be done very well even by those with less experience. A French manicure always has to be done well as does a massage for example. Also, if a client thinks that one therapist is cheaper due to having less experience, some clients could be very condescending or see it as a chance to get refunds if that's their game.

Coming from a spa background, therapists of all experience levels have to be to a standard where all of their treatments cost the same.

I don't think different price brackets in the hair industry even works that well to be honest. As said above years of experience doesn't always mean you're better. All stylists/therapists should be delivering second to none service and if they arn't they should not be in the salon. Not just made cheaper. The only difference in price should be those that have just qualified, everyone else should be the same.

Well that is my opinion anyway :) I would put your prices up bit just stick to one band for all.

From my experience, therapists with more experience doesn't mean they get better with time. I started in a salon straight out of college and took a senior therapist and managers regular client for an eyebrow wax, I asked what shape she would like (standard consultation) and she replies in all the years she was seeing the other girl, she was never asked that question. So one price band for all IMO

A different view.

I have been qualified and working for the past 12 years and have just employed my daughter. All my clients knew she was going through her training and so knew she had just qualified.
I did an introductory offer of 20% off her prices to try and encourage existing clients to book with her. This has worked well and some of my regs now go to her which is what I wanted. We have just put our main prices up and have made hers fractionally less than mine. This accounts for her lack of experience and the fact that she may take longer in some treatments. She also doesn't feel the same pressure that she might if she was charging full whack!

We don't list her prices separately, we just offer her treatments at below list prices!

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think this could work but I would keep to senior therapist and therapist only. Three tiers is too much. This way you state the more experienced therapists price is the slightly more expensive, say 10% to 20%. I think the senior status would be measured on skill level (assessed by a trade test) not age or years in industry and can be pointed out to clients if they ask. Hard work dedication and perfection in our industry should be rewarded xx

Sent from my HTC Desire X using SalonGeek mobile app

I took on a newly qualified therapist 2 years ago and initially offered 25% discount on treatments with her. After 6 months the offer ended and so did a lot of her clients! Most stated that if they were paying full price they would rather book in with me because I had more experience! Her treatments are excellent - I can vouch for that as in any downtime I'm the first to jump on the bed!
We now offer a 10% discount but do not have 2 separate prices listed. Any new clients love the fact that their treatment is cheaper than advertised and now re-book! Also as I'm fairly booked up if my clients want additional treatments for special occasions they book in with her and save a few pounds! It works for us!

Sent from my A1-810 using SalonGeek mobile app

Personally if I were coming for a treatment I wouldn't want 2 price levels.

From a client perspective if I'm paying money for a treatment I expect it to be a great treatment - I don't expect to have to pay extra to get this, as the therapist should already be trained and have passion for their job.

A salon I used to go to have a therapist & an advanced therapist pricing - I found somewhere else to go to because I didn't agree with having to pay more for a better quality service.

Better option would be a juniors discount for a couple of months - that way people know they are getting a newly qualified therapist, are getting a slight reduction in price and their expectations have been managed.

Just put a special offer on until therapist is confident or if you choose to do 2 seperate prices explain to the client that price is down because of time it might take for a treatment, not the quality. I believe you would not employ a therapist that is worse that your senior therapist anyway :)

Latest posts

Back