Problem renting beauty room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceebo92

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone out there can help me please.

So I began working from home last year, part time as a beauty therapist. I quickly became so busy and my clientele shot through the roof. I decided in March this year to look for a room to rent in a local hairdressers; I was lucky and found one in the town centre.

I began renting this room in April, part time (Thursday-Saturday) agreed with the salon owner. I redecorated the room, painting and varnishing, brought in all my own stock & equipment (nail bar, cupboard with stock, trolley, wax pot, lamps, chairs etc). Everything was going great, until the owner approached me this week saying "if you're not going to take the room Tuesday / Wednesday, I'm going to rent it out"!! I questioned her - "what THIS room? What about all my things?" The reply was "I don't know what you want to do, you can padlock them or something."
-not easy to padlock a wax pot etc!

She then went on to say, you can use the storage room to keep your things in. Meaning I would have to cut my day short every Saturday (losing business) to clear the room & then start late every Thursday as well to being all my things back in (including a large cupboard from IKEA packed with 3 tall storage drawers, which are full of stock! - I had to get a delivery van to take this down to the salon when I moved).

Is it just me or is this out of order? We signed a "rent agreement" which I never got a copy of, saying I rented Thursday - Saturday & there were no issues? This salon wasn't doing well before I came & now my rent and large footfall has benefited this business.

I'm tempted to go return to working from home, cut my loses & benefit from keeping the daily rent payments.

HELP

You've been fortunate so far in being able to pay rent for only 3 days a week but have the room as free storage for the other 4 days.
Either pay to rent the room for the full week or arrange to store your equipment on the days you're not in.
It's perfectly reasonable for the salon owner to want to maximise the potential income from her space.

I've spoken to 4 other girls I know who rent rooms on a part time basis & they have never had this issue come up from the owner. They rent the room and only they have access to it and store their equipment there.

I even spoke to 2 salon owners & they couldn't believe how it was approached and especially the length of time after our agreement was made.
It was always known I would work 3 days & I was given permission to redecorate the room; putting time & money into the space aswell.

You pay rent on the room 3 days a week, so it's yours 3 days a week.

It's up to the salon what they want to do with the room the other 4 days a week.

If you want to be the only person who had access to the room you need to pay to rent it full time.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's that black and white.

Everything else you've mentioned, there's always ways round it. I've been renting beauty rooms full and part time for years. The current salon I'm in there's full and part time girls all self employed who leave their things in salon.

But you really shouldn't worry about it. They're going to find it really, really hard to find a beauty person who'll want it just on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Most would want the option on renting on busier days.

So don't worry about it for now. If they do find someone, you might be ready to rent full time by then.

The other girls have been lucky the owners are happy to rent out part time.

You put your time and money into the space to benefit you and your business, and it has right?

I don't mean to sound horrible, so I hope you don't take it the wrong way. But as you've come on here asking for advice I hope you'll be able to take it on board without calling me a bitch.

Sounds like you've been onto a good thing. Don't ruin it by stamping your feet and throwing your toys out the pram. You're being unreasonable.

It's business. If you rented a car, office space etc for 3 days a week, does that mean it's yours 7 days a week?

Totally see your side of it. Just annoyed that it was agreed when I signed the rent agreement that it was exclusive to me, even though I would only be using it Thursday-Saturday as I have other commitments. If it wasn't, I would never have invested time and money into redecorating the room.

Prior to my move, the room was used by an employed beauty therapist before me (part time Thursday -Saturday) & brought in an average of £6 per day.

The salon owner was ecstatic when I agreed to rent self employed, as she would always be guaranteed there was money coming in, without having to put out a wage.

Just very disappointed at the point, as it has been dropped on me before I stop for 2 weeks holiday and my property is left in the room and it might be getting viewed by other folks xo

Take some of your things home if you can so you're not worrying about them whilst you're on holiday.

Honestly try not to fret too much, I doubt they'll get too many people viewing. Just try and enjoy your holiday!!!

I'm going to send you a pm xx

Could you negotiate rent on a weekly basis to secure the room for your sole use? If you can do this and get the agreement in writing prior to your holiday you can go away without worry.

Get hold of the rent agreement! Mine states that I'm free to use the space on the days the renters not using it, every base should be covered in an agreement!

I agree as above tho, negotiate a weekly rent and keep the space for yourself :)

I rent a room Wednesday too Saturday and keep my things in it the other days but I stipulated I wouldn't share the room with anyone else it was too be solely my room for my use before I went into the salon. Maybe you need too sit down and see if you can come too an agreement for the other days you may have too be willing too pay more rent. You should have got it all sorted before you put all your own items in it. If the owner didn't decorate or furnish it she is being slightly unfair too you too expect you too share what you have put in there. Maybe tell her you would have too cut the rent you pay if you have too cut your hours Thursday too Saturday too set it back up and pack away or say you would have too take a share of the other persons rent for using your storage facilities in the room? Xxx

I was in exactly your position last year!
Agreed a rental rate, I could work as much as I liked. (5 days) new owner came along, wanted to rent the room on the one day I wasn't there and I don't trust anyone so I'd have to remove all my stuff from the room each week.
She then decided she wanted me to work 45hr week (I'm self employed)
So we had problems with that. Then she changed the rent to the full cost of the whole salon(I was only renting a poxy room) and as I couldn't afford that she gave me a daily rate which then meant I had to cut my days down to 3 days a week.
So I understand exactly where your coming from! It's not fair if it was in your agreement.
From my experience I would just leave. You'll save money being back at home without the rental cost. You know you can be busy at home that's why you started. I'd just go back to that and you will feel much more free! Good luck X

A salon owner may agree that you can rent the room for those days but equally has the right to rent them out if you're not there.

I rent 2 rooms out and have different therapists using the space.

I would ask if you can negotiate a weekly rent that would allow you to use the room as and when.

Vic x

Latest posts

Back