Professional MUA kit help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's me

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I’m training to be a MUA and so have been doing a lot of research recently with regards products for my kit. This is so important so I want it to be right, plus I’m looking at carrying some cruelty free products to accommodate vegans etc. so I have a few questions I’m really hoping those with experience can help with.....?
I had been looking at Mac studio fix, as I know a lot of artists use this, but my training centre use illamasqua skin bade, which did not last past a few hours when it was applied on my face in training.
So with that in mind, any assistance is greatly appreciated.....

- what’s your favoured brand in your kit?
- what’s your favoured foundation?
- which foundation lasts the longest (particularly for weddings)?
- which foundation photographs the best?
- are there any products you simply can’t go without in your kit?
- What’s your go to primer and setting spray?

I’m sure there’s more questions I could ask, so if you think of anything that may help please write it in your response! :)

Many thanks in advance everyone xxx

I have lots of brands in my kit, one brand doesn’t offer everything I need.
You’ll need to find out what works for you so go and ask for samples from make up counters etc so you can try before you buy.

I love Becca back light priming filter and liquid highlight in opal & moonstone for a natural looking dewy glow that isn’t glittery.

I have a few different Foundations in my kit that I mix and match to suit the client, I have a couple of each shade but I have built it up over the past year:
Mac prolongwear & studio fix, Nars sheer glow, Ex1, Rcma palette.
But Armani Luminous silk is my absolute favourite and I use it the most, especially for brides as it photographs beautifully!

Concealer: urban decay naked skin, Nars creamy concealer (maybelline fit me is a brilliant dupe for these- they are practically the same!) Estée Lauder double wear concealer, also collection lasting perfection are great too and aren’t expensive at all.

Eyeshadow: make your own palettes and choose the colours you’ll actually use! Make up geek, Anastasia Beverly Hills & Melkior shadows are my favourite.
Although abh soft glam & modern renaissance palettes are lovely for brides. And I have both in my kit.

Setting spray: skindinavia- stops everything moving. Make up stays put all day & night. I couldn’t be without it in my kit.

Blush- I have a few Mac, illamasqua & Anastasia ones.
Illamasqua lover is my most popular along with Anastasia in terracotta.

Benefit hoola bronzer to contour- it’s grey toned not orange and looks lovely on most skins.

Maybelline gel liner in black is my favourite, I’ve tried expensive brands and this really works for me & my clients.

Brows: abh dip brow in soft brown, blonde & medium brown covers most bases and can be mixed to create the desired colour.
Illamasqua brow held with wand applicators are also lovely to tame brows without looking too over the top.

Also a good set of brushes is an absolute must! No point having all the kit with brushes that are no good.
I have a mixture in my kit but my favourites are from Bdellium, royal & langnikel, tom Ford, Mac, zoeva.
Zoeva& Bdellium are really reasonably priced and their brushes are lovely and wash well.

That’s it off the top of my head but if I think of anymore I’ll add them. Good luck with your course xx

Last edited:
I have lots of brands in my kit, one brand doesn’t offer everything I need.
kit
Hi cheekychick! Thanks so much for this - it’s has been really helpful!! I’ll def check out some of these brands!
Would you say the Armani luminous silk is long lasting?
Thankyou again xx

Hi cheekychick! Thanks so much for this - it’s has been really helpful!! I’ll def check out some of these brands!
Would you say the Armani luminous silk is long lasting?
Thankyou again xx

Yep, lasts all day and night.
I just pay particular attention to prepping the skin before make up and setting after it’s applied x

Yep, lasts all day and night.
I just pay particular attention to prepping the skin before make up and setting after it’s applied x
That’s great thanks so much for your help!!! I’ll get to a counter and get a wee sample of the Armani!
Have you ever used the bare minerals BarePro? I’ve tried a few different foundations on my skin recently as research and this and the studio fix seem to be the only ones to date that last I know everyone’s skin is different, so trying to get something that covers most skin types to start till I can build my kit up xx

That’s great thanks so much for your help!!! I’ll get to a counter and get a wee sample of the Armani!
Have you ever used the bare minerals BarePro? I’ve tried a few different foundations on my skin recently as research and this and the studio fix seem to be the only ones to date that last I know everyone’s skin is different, so trying to get something that covers most skin types to start till I can build my kit up xx

I’m not a fan of bare minerals products at all so I’m probably the wrong person to ask lol.
x

No worries!!
It’s so hard trying to decide what to get - so figured may as well explore all options and it’s so good to get opinions of those already in the business about what they find works and doesn’t work xx

Latest posts

Back