Qualified beauty therapist, what now?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emalouc

Reaction score
Hi everyone looking for advice please, as the title says what now??
Which way did you all go after qualifying? I'm still taking driving lessons so going mobile isn't really an option just yet, I'm wanting to put my new skills to use rather than wait, I have been offered a room in my friends hairdresser to rent is this too soon ? X

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

If you've just qualified - either level 2 or 3 - my personal advice is to try and work with a salon that has a good reputation and uses a range of products that are recognisable and which offer on-going training themselves.

Nothing like continuing your education and learning from those around you. Alternatively, see (if you personal circumstances allow) if any of the product houses themselves will take you as a therapist. (e.g. Clarins - even if it isn't your favourite these big companies look after their staff). Again great training and really good experience in retailing and professionalism. Are there any hotels or spas near you? Same applies.

Being on your own can be quite daunting. It's like passing your driving test and going straight down the M6. Scary!

Personally I would gain experience working in a salon or spa environment before taking the plunge having your own business. I've worked in small & large salons, large spas & global companies before I even considered working for myself. This is the time when you will learn from other more experienced therapists. Good luck x

Thank you so much for your replies much appreciated, that was my plan but as I'm only level 2 qualified (start level 3 sept) nobody seems willing to give me a chance! Iv phoned numerous salons/spas even offering to work for free 2 or 3 days a week as Im also a owner of a vehicle sales company with my husband, just really don't know which way to turn :( x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

You could try offering some voluntary work at local care homes. Hand massage is very welcome I believe. Not all old folks are ga ga - so even a talk about your career might be welcome. I know of a therapist who teaches hand massage particularly to care workers - so there is obviously a demand for this.

It might be worth you while looking at books in the library about how to 'think outside of the box'. Are there any 'pamper party' companies nearby where you could be part of the team when needed?

Best thing will be to get those driving lessons sorted!

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back