Question about NVQ level 2?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessy

Reaction score
I currently do the VRQ level 2 and to prepare us for NVQ, our college makes us do real clients in our VRQ instead of the training heads because my tutor doesn't see the point in doing training heads. I'm 16 atm. When it's time to do the NVQ level 2 I will be 17.

My tutor was talking to my class today saying the nvq is £1400. We have some older students in my class (we range from 16-22 years old) so I don't know if that was directed towards them or all of us. Will the NVQ still be free as you get education for free till 19 in the uk (with the exception of buying kit & uniform). We got told we could work in a salon after this VRQ but it's incredibly hard as most employers would like the NVQ and VRQ is only very basic hairdressing so I would really like to do the NVQ, my problem is if I have to pay I don't think I'd be able to do the NVQ. I come from a low income family, my mum and sister are registered as disabled and neither of my parents work. I get £400 bursary a year from college but that would no way cover the NVQ cost. I'm not at college till Tuesday so can't ask thought I would post here and ask first as I really do want to get all the qualifications that I can in hairdressing. Thanks :)

Hi Jessy, from what I have read I think you would qualify for funding for the NVQ based on your circumstances. Also you are under 19 so I can't imagine you would have to pay for it.

Have a look on the direct gov website, they have a section on education + training.

Lastly ask your college careers advisor too, as they will be able to give you advice about the costs of doing an NVQ.

Hope this helps you xx

I thought they've stopped doing nvqs now? Xx

Hello darling, i'm 17 coming up for 18, have done my vrq 1 now in nvq 2 and did not have to pay for either, if your in a regular college then you do not need to pay for your course if your under 19, all you need to pay is kit and uniform, which you can get help with providing you meet the low income requirements :) speak to your course tutor or the finance department about it :) but you deffo dont need to pay until your 19, hope this helps darling :) xxx

I'm pretty sure you won't have to pay. Are you getting ema to help out with costs too (this is to do with household income and won't affect any other benefits) ?
Why were you put into vqr 2 if the college does nvq's? Surely it would be better and easier on both sides to start with nvq1 and the go on to 2, than to mix 2 types of education where you learn one way of assessment and procedure then have to go through a completely different system.? I would question why they don't offer level one, its mainly health and safety, but in my opinion h&s is one of the most important parts of te industry and warrants a years education in itself with level 2 (I completed level 2 in an nvq and my opinion is based on that) needing 2 years as a minimum to be able to be taught enough to be competent without having to do extra courses afterward on your own initiative xoxo

Latest posts

Back