Really need advice - help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karen1818

Reaction score
I have been styling for 20 years. I have been at this salon for 5 years. 2 years with one owner and 3 years with the new owner and his employees form his previous salon. I have a substantial clientele. Paid commission. WE get great education.
Problem-
The salon preaches team work, team this, family this, we are all one big happy family. Except for those that are not part of "the family".
The owner takes his "team" of stylists on photo shoots, on location events etc. This "team" goes out for work suppers, bonding, team building but does not include several of us- then it gets posted all over social media what this team, family is doing with pictures of them etc. Selfies of them while the few of us left behind just watch. The couple times i have been invited, i was left alone while they did their social media photo ops- completely excluding, and the one time i was left at the function by myself as they all left to go to a night club. Literally just got up from the table and said, see ya next week, and left me at the work event by myself.
I am considering leaving, i have some options for chair rentals. This is a really well known salon in our town, I am just not sure if this is the right decision. Or if I am being a drama queen, i should just got to work, suck it up and not care. There are many other times these things have happened.
Seriously, i feel like I am back in high school. It sucks being alone at work.

Are u employed or self employed? If self employed and you get plenty clients I would not care. Just get on with it as the pay is why you go to work. If employed and you can't suffer it and really feel bad then maybe start to look for another place of work.

I have been styling for 20 years. I have been at this salon for 5 years. 2 years with one owner and 3 years with the new owner and his employees form his previous salon. I have a substantial clientele. Paid commission. WE get great education.
Problem-
The salon preaches team work, team this, family this, we are all one big happy family. Except for those that are not part of "the family".
The owner takes his "team" of stylists on photo shoots, on location events etc. This "team" goes out for work suppers, bonding, team building but does not include several of us- then it gets posted all over social media what this team, family is doing with pictures of them etc. Selfies of them while the few of us left behind just watch. The couple times i have been invited, i was left alone while they did their social media photo ops- completely excluding, and the one time i was left at the function by myself as they all left to go to a night club. Literally just got up from the table and said, see ya next week, and left me at the work event by myself.
I am considering leaving, i have some options for chair rentals. This is a really well known salon in our town, I am just not sure if this is the right decision. Or if I am being a drama queen, i should just got to work, suck it up and not care. There are many other times these things have happened.
Seriously, i feel like I am back in high school. It sucks being alone at work.

Get out immediately! What a horrible atmosphere to be around. Sounds very similar to a salon I worked at for 5 years. I set myself up ready to leave around 3 weeks before I actually walked out the door for the final time (which BTW was the best feeling! I physically felt the pressure and negativity melt away)

I had become friends with a lot of clients anyway and had them on facebook so I gave them my written notice (effective immediately as they won't want you near your clients details /phone numbers) I was totally honest that the reason was bitching and bullying! And off I popped! Then 5 girls followed too! (yep it was that bad)

All of my clients bar 1 came with me! I never poached anyone as they approached me! Don't get me wrong it was hard... They threatened me with legal action I've had slander you name it! But the reason I got all this was because they were threatened by me! Do everything by the book and be your own boss, it's not for everyone but I love it! Xxx

Latest posts

Back