Red hair bleached turned pink, what do I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairg33k

Reaction score
My client had grown out red hair color about a level 6 and she wanted highlights so once I started to bleech... well the red turned pink.... left it on almost an hour about 20 volume and well... pink!!! How do you get red out of hair its a disaster and im heart broken to not have fulfilled her request. How do I fix it?? So.eof it is even hot pink after bleeched.

Had this happen recently with a client who had a lot of build up from manic panic on panels of previously bleached hair. I mixed blondor and pastel and left it on for 20 minutes. It didn't turn pink , but more a fire engine red about level 7. Fortunately, she loved it. The bleach removed the cool tones, but left the bright red base. I'd say your stuck with what you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

Had this happen recently with a client who had a lot of build up from manic panic on panels of previously bleached hair. I mixed blondor and pastel and left it on for 20 minutes. It didn't turn pink , but more a fire engine red about level 7. Fortunately, she loved it. The bleach removed the cool tones, but left the bright red base. I'd say your stuck with what you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using SalonGeek mobile app

My client said it was a bright red like crayola red and didnt say what she used. Before I srarted the process she said it was only box color. It was so light and fadded mostly on top that I thought it would lift with my blondor but I was wrong. Im sure I am stuck with that color on her. The only way to go is darker im guessing?

What outcome is she looking for? I think parts she wants highlighted will need a color remover for the areas colored. Obviously not her roots.

For now I would let the hair rest. If she is fine with it, you can do a strand test for color remover. Red clings. Maybe it's a box color, but sometimes clients say "it's box" and it's something more.

From my experience, these clients with "red" I never let them think it can be something in one sitting. Especially the ones who want to go lighter which is what I do.

You need to assess hair condition and do some strand testing. It could be areas she wants highlighted need a simple bleach bath or they need a color remover.

Hard to tell without knowing more. Don't panic xx. With this sort of clingy color it's not always just one step.

And saw last post. Does she want to go darker? Or lighter?

I would have probably thought this would happen?? I've done it several times and got pink.

Did you promise her something else?

Color correction isn't about forfilling a clients request, it's about starting your client on a journey.

Never make any promises!

What outcome is she looking for? I think parts she wants highlighted will need a color remover for the areas colored. Obviously not her roots.

For now I would let the hair rest. If she is fine with it, you can do a strand test for color remover. Red clings. Maybe it's a box color, but sometimes clients say "it's box" and it's something more.

From my experience, these clients with "red" I never let them think it can be something in one sitting. Especially the ones who want to go lighter which is what I do.

You need to assess hair condition and do some strand testing. It could be areas she wants highlighted need a simple bleach bath or they need a color remover.

Hard to tell without knowing more. Don't panic xx. With this sort of clingy color it's not always just one step.

She was basically a level 7 on top and 6 on bottom in general with the 4 inches of regrowth.
She in time wanted to be all over as light blonde as possible so I told her it would take time and multiple visits to achieve. Before I started her hair was about that dull brassy reddish brown color so it didnt seem to have alot of red left over at all acept a bit in the nape area. So it started her full weave at 20 volume and ended with 30 using blondor from wella.
I let it process almost an hour but disnt want to loose the hairs Integrity or fry it so I wwashed it out. Just the midshaft all over was the strongest in the pink volor. I was surprised to see the pink only because in the begining it wasnt showing much red at all. Once I asked again what she put on her hair she said it was a bright fire engine red she did at home... in our consult she said it was only a red brown color she had previously and from a stylist....
Either way sometimes clients arent always honest. I should have done a strand test anyways so my error. Ive lightened other clients before with her previous left over color and never had that happen. Ill try to post a before pic of what her hair looked like before we started.

If the picture attached loaded then it shows what her hair color lookedike before we started. You cant really see her regrowth as it as about a shade darker or 2

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 391
I have turned clients down that have box done red DIY style that have done this recently b4 coming to a pro, without letting the color fade out a bit. If its a fairly fresh box job they have done, the red pigment is super strong impossible to blonde it up like they usually request!

I have had success with a de-colonizer my fave is Solaris, you can mix it with h20 for subtle lift & up to 20V=6% developer for max lift,shampoo it out,dry hair then bleach up to 20V over de-colored hair. I have found Solaris leaves the hair in good health for a lightening after. But still results in a Lv.9+CG/GC or light strawberry.

Use a color/toner that matches the underlying pigment levels of the pink/salmon hair after your lifting processes are done,raw & dry. If using permanent color with low peroxide, let it stant 10mins after mixing to not open cuticle more than needed. Add in some Green/or greeny grey based intensifier up to 5mls/30mls formule even if target color is a 7+N/G/A to amp up the ash to cut the super stuck red/copper pigs......If hair is porous,apply toner/color to damp hair & keep an eye on it.You should charge more 4 services like this as color corrections!

& Do not be afraid to query clients thoroughly that have DIY color seeking your advise, as their most recent & number of times they have done DIY colors. I had a lady with fresh red box color snap @ me " can't you put bleach on it!" I responded, " If your fond of the color pink, sure I can" I told her to wash her hair alot,use laundry soap & leave it on 5 mins & when it starts fading,come see me.....or go darker!

I got my hair done and it was dark brown with red highlights and it looked amazing at first. She put blonde on before the red and now those areas are pink!! this was just about a week ago and I cannot afford another salon appointment. are there any "box" colors that will fix

I got my hair done and it was dark brown with red highlights and it looked amazing at first. She put blonde on before the red and now those areas are pink!! this was just about a week ago and I cannot afford another salon appointment. are there any "box" colors that will fix

The answer is no. But if you went to a a hairdresser and this has now occurred, go back and show him or her your hair.

My client had grown out red hair color about a level 6 and she wanted highlights so once I started to bleech... well the red turned pink.... left it on almost an hour about 20 volume and well... pink!!! How do you get red out of hair its a disaster and im heart broken to not have fulfilled her request. How do I fix it?? So.eof it is even hot pink after bleeched.

I had a client last week who had stained 'luminous pink' is the best way to describe it after putting directions bubblegum pink on as the candy floss pink I used had faded. Dried lifting it out with blondor and 3%. After several strand tests and mixtures I decided to go with Koleston 10/38 and a dash of mix tone 0/28 with pastel. Came out gorgeous. Will try to upload pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 247
I had a client last week who had stained 'luminous pink' is the best way to describe it after putting directions bubblegum pink on as the candy floss pink I used had faded. Dried lifting it out with blondor and 3%. After several strand tests and mixtures I decided to go with Koleston 10/38 and a dash of mix tone 0/28 with pastel. Came out gorgeous. Will try to upload pic.
Thank you so much for your reply. In need to save your info on this color transformation I know I will need it!

Latest posts

Back