Rent a chair & debit card machine?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acheekymunky

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anybody here rent a chair and use a debit/credit card machine at reception along with other renters and the shop owner? how does it work? how do you get the payment back and who is the machine registered to?!

Thank you

xx

Hi,

I'm sort of the other way around, but it might help you.

I have a room that I rent to practitioners. A couple of them asked about this as other clinics where they work won't take cards on their behalf.

I asked my accountant how to do it though and basically if their clients pay by credit/debit card they must write it down in a book I keep by the machine. I also take the percentage the merchant service providers charge me. I then either take that money out of what they owe me for rent or pay them back. So long as there is a written record showing that that is not 'my' money and we keep it straight with clear invoices/receipts to show all the workings then it's apparently not a problem.

I was worried I'd have to have a separate account with the merchant services but it seems you can keep it simple.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Also, when a client pays by card machine there are two copies of the reciept printed, yours and thiers. As long as you keep your reciepts you can easily prove what has been paid in each week and then deduct from your rental or request the money back if it's more than your rental cost.

Your other option is to do what we do and have a card machine with a sim card in it, then you will be totally independent and also mobile if you ever need to be ie. home clients, trade shows etc...

We have our software in quite a few salons that are purely rent a chair. I have seen a salon that has (ready for it)... a separate eftpos/card machine machine per employee (wireless). It works, puts the ownus on the individual hairdressers. Painful and messy though (Who's seen my machine!?) :)

The majority though use Salon Swift to handle the maths that works out who's getting paid what. So one card machine that takes all the money and it all goes into one bank account. Then, at the end of the week, they simply run the Commission report which instantly works out who gets paid what and the funds distributed to each person that rents a chair.

It's a 1 minute job to do the commission report then about 5-10 minutes in online banking and everyone gets their share. Simple.

Hope that helps...

Rob

Latest posts

Back