Rent too high?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixie28

Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking at a new room to rent near Norwich and they are offering either 50/50 percentage split or £35 a day!
I would probably do a split to start with but ideally would want to rent it eventually if I was earning enough. They said there would be no discount for having it more days.
Where I am now is only £25 (leaving due to problems with other people there)
Just wondering if people think this is very pricey? I really do and was wondering what everyone else pays?

Thanks in advance
Kate x

It all depends on your location, are you moving more out of the city but in a prime location!
What size is the room?

I charge £25 a day for a large room and £20 for the smaller room

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

It is outside of the city in the same location I'm in now, so the £10 increase seemed a bit steep!

Whereabouts are you? X

I'm in a little village in the middle of nowhere with 2 very small treatment rooms to rent. I charge £25 a day for everything - towels, heating, washing, tea and coffee. I would do a reduction if they wanted more than 2 days per week.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm in a little village in the middle of nowhere with 2 very small treatment rooms to rent. I charge £25 a day for everything - towels, heating, washing, tea and coffee. I would do a reduction if they wanted more than 2 days per week.

Vic x

That's really good. We don't even get tea and coffee where we are. To be honest, the owner merely rents out the building and has nothing to do with the business so nothing gets done and it's run down! X

Hi

I'm looking at a new room to rent near Norwich and they are offering either 50/50 percentage split or £35 a day!
I would probably do a split to start with but ideally would want to rent it eventually if I was earning enough. They said there would be no discount for having it more days.
Where I am now is only £25 (leaving due to problems with other people there)
Just wondering if people think this is very pricey? I really do and was wondering what everyone else pays?

Thanks in advance
Kate x

The moans about the cost of renting a room always makes my ears prick up as a business owner, as i always think owners undercharge for the rent of a room. 35 a day = 175 a week. Not bad considering no other overheads!

The moans about the cost of renting a room always makes my ears prick up as a business owner, as i always think owners undercharge for the rent of a room. 35 a day = 175 a week. Not bad considering no other overheads!

Just wanted to ditto this comment!
As a salon owner, i'm always intrigued to know what others rent their rooms out for and each time it makes me think that mine is being rented far too cheaply!! (Yet, my SE beautician still moans!?!)
I charge her £300 a month.. So approx £15 a day and this includes tea, coffee, phone, wifi, water, electricity, appts being booked for her.. Basically everything except her products!! And like you say she has no other overheads.. We're situated on a busy main road only a 15 min walk away from the centre of town.. Hmmmm!

I think it depends where you are. Even the ones I've seen in the city aren't this much.
I've seen a whole shop available for £300 p/m!
Obviously you would have other overheads with your own place, but I think this must be a fairly reasonable area x

As someone who is in the process of opening a salon dedicated to self employed only. I think there is more to consider than just the cost of the room/chair.

If it's cheap, there's a good chance that there will be little in the way of benefits.

As already mentioned - a well maintained building, with good decor, a strong street position, good signage, bills, furnishings, car parking, frequent and varied advertising, other avenues of income available, websites, financial and business advice/ help, all should play a part in making the correct choice for you on where to go.

Personally if a room was to be rented for more than one day, I would offer a discount, as I would like to see the room rented as often as possible.

If there is one rental room in a very busy salon, then a high rent can be achieved as there will be a high footfall within the salon.

I personally believe that the cheaper route is very rarely the best option

I don't want cheap. Just the going rate for this area. :) x

I don't want cheap. Just the going rate for this area. :) x

Hi, I hope I didn't offend.

What I was trying to say was, if the rent was for just a room and bills and nothing else, choosing that room over a room that offered other perks but at a higher rent might not be a good choice.

What ever you chose to do, take time to think things through carefully.

Good luck :)
Xx

Hi, I hope I didn't offend.

What I was trying to say was, if the rent was for just a room and bills and nothing else, choosing that room over a room that offered other perks but at a higher rent might not be a good choice.

What ever you chose to do, take time to think things through carefully.

Good luck :)
Xx

Thanks, and no you didn't offend :)

I can understand what people are saying. I am trying to look at them on a whole and see the good and bad points of them. If something was perfect but a couple of £'s more I would probably take it. Just can't afford to go up another £10 a day for something which isn't much different to where I am how. Think it's wishful thinking on their part. I am looking at 3 places tomorrow so fingers crossed x

Don't forget, you can make a counter offer for the rent.

As a landlady myself I would think hard if someone offered me £10 a week less for a room than I wanted. An empty room gives no income.

That's way too high for this part of the world. And I'm not being a cheapskate NFN person! Definitely - unless you're in a primary retail location (e.g. near Chapelfield etc) AND get a reception service.
Also, if the location (say within a clinic) provides excellent potential clients and you've seen good footfall, it might be valid - but that's never a certainty. Do you also offer premium treatments and the landlord is making a correlation between what he/she thinks your turnover could be, and the rent?

Overall I think £25 is good - plus utilities perhaps. As said before, it should be negotiable. Good luck. Lovely city. x

Don't forget, you can make a counter offer for the rent.

As a landlady myself I would think hard if someone offered me £10 a week less for a room than I wanted. An empty room gives no income.

And there likes the problem. A lot of people in this industry dont look long term. Short term decisions have long term consequences. By everyone keeping prices at a reasonable level, say £50 a day, it forces those who rent the room to not to put their prices too low, thus avoiding a price war.

I have 3 salons and look long term with every decision i make. I implemented a £10 cancellation/no show charge many many years ago and stick by it rigidly. My ladies accept it and pay it no questions. I get virtually no no shows and what cancellations i d8 get are well in advance.

Throughout October and March i run every treatment for £5 and have done for the last 10 years. This keeps me just below the VAT threshold and keeps the therapists busy busy. This keeps the customers coming in, keeps me in the public eye and puts pressure on nearby salons. A couple of times in March ive done every treatment for £1 to keep me below!

That's way too high for this part of the world. And I'm not being a cheapskate NFN person! Definitely - unless you're in a primary retail location (e.g. near Chapelfield etc) AND get a reception service.
Also, if the location (say within a clinic) provides excellent potential clients and you've seen good footfall, it might be valid - but that's never a certainty. Do you also offer premium treatments and the landlord is making a correlation between what he/she thinks your turnover could be, and the rent?

Overall I think £25 is good - plus utilities perhaps. As said before, it should be negotiable. Good luck. Lovely city. x

I just offer nails, waxing, spray tans, lashes etc. Nothing out of the ordinary! Lol

Just think they are expecting a bit much for where they are. Luckily I am viewing another room on Monday which sounds more promising! :) x

Just wanted to ditto this comment!
As a salon owner, i'm always intrigued to know what others rent their rooms out for and each time it makes me think that mine is being rented far too cheaply!! (Yet, my SE beautician still moans!?!)
I charge her £300 a month.. So approx £15 a day and this includes tea, coffee, phone, wifi, water, electricity, appts being booked for her.. Basically everything except her products!! And like you say she has no other overheads.. We're situated on a busy main road only a 15 min walk away from the centre of town.. Hmmmm!

Blooming heck! My friend would be well chuffed with that! She is just starting up and initially will be working on a percentage but then she will be charged £50 a day as it includes everything (receptionist, heating, tea, coffee etc) it is a lovely location though and a beautiful salon with lots of clients to access! I guess areas vary.

£35 a day could work out expensive if you plan to be there more than a couple days a week. There's no reason not to put an offer in.

I rent out one of my rooms for £100 a week. That includes wi fi , heating, waiting area and electricity I'm also planning on renting out a nail desk for £20 per day.

Blooming heck! My friend would be well chuffed with that! She is just starting up and initially will be working on a percentage but then she will be charged £50 a day as it includes everything (receptionist, heating, tea, coffee etc) it is a lovely location though and a beautiful salon with lots of clients to access! I guess areas vary.

Wow! That seems a lot though.. £1000 a month! .. Like you say though, location is key!

While location can be important this seems an astronomical amount of rent.

Unfortunately there are a lot of therapists on here every week saying they are renting a beauty room. It's in a hairdressers. There are people coming in every day to have their hair done but the therapist mistakenly believes that just being there with lots of passing trade will guarantee success. It doesn't.

While location can be important, advertising, promotions, leaflet drops, website, Facebook etc are really key. Knowing your usp and being able to differentiate your salon is so important. Far too many people think they will open in a busy location and get clients. It just doesn't work like that!

Vic x

Latest posts

Back