Renting a room - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sj2009

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been renting a room above a hairdressers, i'm totally new to the industry so I'm trying to build a clientele from near scratch (which i knew would be difficult but im a hard worker). I joined this salon in November, had great floor space, 3 weeks later was told a barber was coming to join me so I was moved in to a tiny room (used to be the toilet) so I've room for nothing...no couch or anything. I've been trying to make the most of what I have but in the whole 6 months I've been here I've had maybe 2 or 3 clients from the hairdressers.
I've tried EVERYTHING, ive an A board outside as i have no space for a sign as im at the back of the building, ive given the hairdressers £5 off vouchers to give to their clients (they aren't giving them out), ive done the hairdressers nails for half price, facebook competitions, flyers, the lot! and im now noticing that my clients are boycotting me on Saturdays (due to the floor being full of men waiting to get their hair cut) and who can blame them!
Im finding it really difficult at the min, i know im good at what i do because im a perfectionist but im struggling to even make my rent every week.
Would it be worthwhile moving to new premises? im paying £70 per week where i am and i feel like its getting my nowhere.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Wow I feel your pain - I started out in the same situation - in all honesty if it was me, I would look for new premises (I did) - it sounds as if you aren't getting the right clientele coming in and people may even be put off by your room (not your fault) let alone all the men! Be prepared that you may need to pay a little more but maybe at the start this could be negotiated just to you get settled. Think about all the thing you would want if you were walking into a salon for the first time and what you would expect to find. Hope this is a little helpful - wish you lots of luck :D xx

Time to look for new premises !
You have learnt a lot from this experience .
Perhaps keep your clients ticking over mobile until you get settled again
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back