Business models and location

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissSD

Reaction score
Hi,
I am in the process of setting up as a self employed Holistic Therapist.
I am considering renting a space for 3 days a week.
Ideally I would love a countryside location but am not certain of clients would travel.

Does anyone work in a location that is not in a built up area.

Also if I hire a space can I ask for a
contract?

Thank you.

When I trained as a La Stone therapist, I took a taxi to the address only to discover we were driving through a field, along an unmade track! I thought we were lost! I was horribly embarrassed for his car but I didn’t want to get out and pay him off until I was sure I was in the right place.

Eventually we came to a farm house with a sign pointing towards a very ramshackle barn. As my muddy taxi drove off with a very hard earned tip, I picked my way through the free ranging chickens to discover an amazing, tranquil oasis.

It was in the middle of nowhere - a medieval barn in a field next to a tiny camping site in an area with no facilities or amenities for miles. (The night before I’d had to walk 5 miles from the train station to the nearest accommodation because the only taxi firm had closed for the evening at 8.30pm). Jilly was so busy as a therapist she was putting her prices up to try and reduce demand. It was absolute proof that if you are good people will travel.

I’d suggest focussing on more upmarket clients and assume people will want to come for a minimum of 60 minutes and organise your service menu and pricing accordingly.

Excellent advice from TheDuchess and congratulations on your new business venture.

I live in a semi rural location but on a busy B road which makes finding my salon easier. The main issues that could potentially face you is that some clients may not want to or feel confident enough to travel to you via a single track country lane with passing places. So you would need to choose the location wisely.
I am hoping to move to a quieter location as I approach my retirement. I will continue to be a practising Therapist for a few more years yet, health permitting and therefore the location will still need to be accessible for nervous drivers.

A friend of mine lived on a very potholed, flooded, deeply cratered unmade road as an Holistic Therapist and had no problems receiving clients to her home salon.

When I attended for a treatment I walked as I couldn't stand a filthy, muddy car after the relaxing session. My wellies were easier to clean than the car...;) Maybe I am just awkward!
I do agree with TheDuchess that they would travel if you are good and so I don't think you need to have any worries about that.

All the best.

Latest posts

Back