Renting a room part time - could it work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloppie

Reaction score
Hi

I am new to The Salon Geek!

I am a mobile beauty therapist with an 11 month old daughter. At the moment I work one afternoon (when my daughter is at nursery) and a couple of evenings after she has gone to bed (although very tiring :zzz:)

Although I have regular clients, I can't ever see it building up enough to warrant paying for extra days of childcare so I can work more hours.

I have been thinking that some time next year I could find a treatment room in a hair salon. My theory behind this is I might be able to attract more clients and that I may receive some bookings from the hair salon. Also less time travelling and potentially book in more clients.

I was thinking of doing 3 days a week (inclusive of Saturdays) as at the moment my business is busier towards the end of the week anyway. What are your thoughts? could it work part time? I also have my daughter to think about so really don't want to put her in day care full time.

In some threads i've read about horrible landlords - what is yours like? do they interfere with your business?

Any advice or information would really help.

Thanks very much!!

Oooh, so many questions Cloppie but I will try to answer them all (if I can remember them lol).

Yes, absolutely it can work part time as this is just how I started out, just working friday's and saturday's. Twelve months later I took the plunge and decided to go full time in the salon. Yes, sometimes it can be quiet (october and january have been quiet for me over the last two years) but on the whole it is good.

I have recently taken on another part time job just so that I have some regular income to pay bills as these are my sole responsiblity but I am mostly now fully booked on the other days (when I want to be of course).

My landlord is an absolute darlin but the only thing I would change is not him but his attitude to the salon, it is rather old fashioned and needs a good overhauling but he just won't do it. This does put some people off coming in BUT once they have been in, the keep coming back so I must be doing something right.

He doesn't interfere with my business, I have keys so that I can come and go as I please and all the staff made me so welcome when I started, we are now just a big happy family. It can be the same for you too, choose your salon to fit you.

I think I have answered everything I can.

Latest posts

Back