Renting and now sharing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren00

Lauren
Reaction score
I need some advice, I've been renting a beauty room at a salon for the past 5 years. I'm self employed, have all my own products, just pay rent.

I'm planning on moving down south around April. (I've told the salon) So I got a second job cleaning.. to bump up my income to save pennies. I've changed my hours at the salon. My rent was reduced.

Everything was fine.

The lady who I rent a room off, asked if I didn't mind letting another beautician use my room whilst I wasn't there. (Someone I know well).
I agreed. Everything was fine.

Now ......it's come to the point were this beauty therapist is in the salon working when I'm in and now I'm being told Im having to share the room with her.. This will effect my clients & bookings. How are we both expected to do waxing at the same time?!?! I feel a little annoyed. Am I wrong to think this is unfair? i don't want to have to turn down a client because I don't have the bed free!

I'm beginning to feel like this lady I rent a room off is pushing me out because I will be leaving in April..

I need advice. Is there any guide lines or laws for this?

Thankyou for your time.

Last edited:
Was it a verbal agreement? I afraid I have to side a little with the manager here, she needs to keep the other therapist sweet and juggle this with the few weeks you have left. But I'm sure you can come to an agreement with the other therapist, maybe split up the hours or days you use the room? How has she been about it so far?

I agree with what you're saying. This beauty therapist that is joining my room is actually employed by the lady. She's been there for 5 months or so in a different room. (Now That /different/ room she has, is occupied by another beautician renting like me) I thought that being self employed, renting, meant that I am entitled to a space to provide my treatments as and when I reasonably choose.

I don't mind the sharing, it's the fact I won't be able to book my clients when someone is booked in with the other lady during the day, I'm paying to be there! I will have to work around them at all times. And I'm going in 8/9 weeks from now. It's 2 while months away.

It was a verbal agreement to share the room when I am not there and left for my second job. But not an agreement to use the room when I am working there. X

Last edited:
Have you spoken to the owner about it? If so, what did they say? Xx

I think you can either get your rent further reduced and continue like this, or you'll have to have a word with the other therapist and work a schedule out. Say that you didn't think it meant the agreement meant sharing when you were there too and take it from there. And if the manager won't change anything then maybe consider walking away.

Have you spoken to the owner about it? If so, what did they say? Xx

I've spoken to her a few days ago, just need to see if she's in the salon tomorrow to have a word. She's kept pretty distant to be honest. And left other people to tell me things.

I think you can either get your rent further reduced and continue like this, or you'll have to have a word with the other therapist and work a schedule out. Say that you didn't think it meant the agreement meant sharing when you were there too and take it from there. And if the manager won't change anything then maybe consider walking away.

I agree with what you're saying, it's good advice. Thankyou very much x

I understand that she has now employed someone to take over when you leave but she can not have her cake & eat it. The room is to be yours on your already set & agreed days. She has no right to demand you share that space on days you have paid for, it's fine to use it when your not there BUT if your paying for set days then it's yours on those set days and she needs to stop booking your room out in your time.

You have been generous in the amount of notice you have given her and that is allowing her to build up clients with the new therapaist and she should be happy for that but it looks like she is trying to push you out before your ready to leave.

You could try any of the following....
Demand she not use the room on your days & be there working in your room (even if you have no clients, doing your books or research etc.. so she can't use the room).
Renegotiate a lower rent for the remainder of the time you have left there if you are not getting the same as you were before, maybe reduce your days so she can book more people in with the new therapist on that day (assuming she is already busy on the other days she is in & needs an extra day to do more clients).
Leave now and use the time in preperations for moving, redesign flyers or price list etc.. for when you start again after your move down south (assuming you will be starting up again).

I agree with baggy bear.
If you have agreed to pay rent for 3 days a week ( for example) . You should have exclusive use of the room for 3 days a week!!. The are couple of ways of approaching it.

Make sure you are there for three days a week! Get your paperwork out over the couch, tidy up, practice. get guineapigs in to practice new treatments on.You need to be there for walk-ins anyway.

if this does leave a lot of free time,you could always reduce your days/ hours a bit.

I can understand the temptation for the salon owner to think ' she's not using the room I'll get my beautition to use it in stead' But what about the client that rings up wanting a slot for that morning afternoon with you? I bet she hasn't reduced your rent for where her girl is using it.

You can't share a room, ( confidentiality issues, privicy issues.) You could always say you've got a day of clients booked in for intermate waxing!!!

Something similar happened to me years ago. I was renting a room on a 70/30 basis. A very tiny room. I came into work one day to be informed there was a new girl starting in 2 hours and I'd be sharing my room (filled with my equipment and supplies). Oh, and could I show the girl how I do things cause she has no experience? I was packed and gone within the hour.

Latest posts

Back