Renting room, who pays for what?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashed11

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Just wondering, for those of you with salons etc renting rooms to therapists, what do you pay for?

I have a room to rent for yoga, and I have bought all of the yoga mats and blocks. My sister in law is a yoga teacher and keeps sending me links for more stuff to buy for various different classes, blankets etc but if she is renting the space from me, surely she has to supply her extra 'equipment'? As it stands, it's ready for use as a 'general' yoga room.

And for the treatment rooms, I will be renting these out per day / half day. I'm not sure if I should be providing the towels and therefor be washing the towels for them, but have this reflect the rent? And disposables like couch roll etc, they should buy their own obviously?

And finally, flyers etc. I used to rent a space and they would pay 50 percent of my business card costs because they were advertising their clinic too, but again, sis in law is expecting me to fork out for all her promo material!

This is all making me feel uncomfortable, she keeps making reference to other places she works. She presumed that she would only pay rent to me IF people were booked in?! And I had to make it clear that she pays rent no matter who is booked in, because that's the way it works, and she replied saying she doesn't pay rent at other places if nobody is booked into a class... I have the feeling that she is lying to me, I can't comprehend who would run a business like that :s Anyway, she is only renting one room for 2 hours per week.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Why would you be providing her equipment if she's only renting the room for 2 hours a week?

You really need to stop being manipulated by her unless you enjoy being bankrupt?

Hi hun, I am a beauty therapist & nail tech &rent a room a table in a hair dressers.

I pay my set weekly rent regardless of how busy I am or how many hours I turn up & use the (my) space, so on my designated days I pay the same wether im there 12 hours pr one (if that makes sense)

I pay for my own business cards & flyers as they only have my details on them, not hair, but if we do a joint promotion or offer we split the cost of the posters 50/50.

Im supplied with a table, chairs, a bed & a trolly (tbh the rooms quite compact so we wouldn't get much more in there anyway) I wouldnt expect the hairdressers to supply me with stuff to do my job! I do think sis in law is taking the pee a bit. I take my own towels in & I arrange washing them but this was mainly as the hair towels have dye & bleech on them & we agreed it wouldnt look to good for the beauty clients, so £50 in Primark got me enough for what I need. I do borrow a few bits off the owner but she borrows the odd thing off me so it works out fairly & mutually beneficial.

I think you are being far too nice lol! Prob because its family & you feel you have to be more accommodating but put your business head on, look at what you would usually get for the space & compare it to what she thinks shes going to be paying for the space. If your loosing out toughen up lol!

Xxx

Important to remember she is NOT working for you - she will be self-employed therefore she is responsible for her business. When I rented a room - I got a bare room and I had to furnish it and I paid a basic rent rate.

I advertised my business and paid for everything. I know its really difficult but you need to be clear and set boundaries or you could end up paying her!

Do you not have a licence to occupy in place?

If not you need to have this put in sooner rather than later, especially as she is a relation and things can get quite tricky.

I used to rent a room I paid a set rent and I provided everything myselfexcept for magazines.

I now own a salon and rent a room out and do the same for my tennant. Keeps things easy. The only things we split on are things like the music licence (because I was happy with royalty free Ichill but she wanted CDs so I was happy to compromise) and our website she pays a percentge for SEO annually.

Latest posts

Back