Running a hair styling / colour course in salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snmlondonhair

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Do you need any qualifications to run a hair extension styling course / practical colour course for balayage etc?

I have a hair salon with space for a little training room. I'm obviously a hairdresser my self :) with 10 years experience. But do you need anything else? For certificates etc?

I wouldn't think so if you run it as a 'Hands on Demonstration' event and provide certificates of attendance.

That way, you're not tasked with ensuring that attendees have met a minimum standard of achievement. They simply have to turn up.

However, you will need to check your insurance arrangements as you're not just working on clients but supervising non-employees, so it might be worth checking with your insurer that they will cover the event without adding any additional premiums.

For instance, if you were training someone who was employed as an apprentice, you'd be covered by employers liability but the insurance company might feel that including non qualified hairdressers who are not trained in extensions leads to a higher risk factor than if you set a minimum entry criteria where all attendees had to hold an NVQ level 2 as a minimum.

If you want to offer an 'accredited' course, you will have to purchase specific insurance for this.

Latest posts

Back