Sally's course some advice??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sallllle

Reaction score
i currently have my nvq level one hairdresing had it for 3 years now i applyed for level 2 nvq but didnt get in coz of limited spaces!! soo i went appentship for the level two and got sacked for bin ill!! and had 2 find a salon with in 4 weeks or college would have to drop me so no one took me on and college droped me taking in mind i was 18 and they would of had to pay me min wage!! and why would the employe someone dat the can pay some young the less wage! oh well to cut the story short i've come cross sally's course as anyone done them and do you have to have your level 2 to do the cutting and colouring course?? even tho your willing to pay? and what ones would i have to do to become a hairdresser thanks for reading :)

I think doing a sallyls course will not make you employable.
Can you not apply for level 2 again?

On an apprenticeship you get less than min wage, I think its £95 a week. And if a salon already has a junior they won't employ you, and they won't employ you in place of a stylist. X

im saying the wont employee me as a junior coz of my age and if i did sallys course i could go mobile couldn't i?? x

I'm already a qualfied beauty therpist but i do it mobile and always get asked if i do hair but i say no i could reapply for nvq 2 but id ave 2 do it for a yr but wif ppl 3 yrs younger thn me and id jst wanna gett on and do it

Last edited:
why not? If your 18 they can pay you £95 a week.

You could, but I can't imagine a sally's course giving you enough knowledge to be a competent stylist. X

I got an apprenticeship when i was 22 (and they had to pay me minimum wage) but as lauren says at 18 (under the age of 19 and aged 19 and over in the first year of apprenticeship) they can still pay you an apprentices wage, which i think has changed to £2.50 an hour this year. So it shouldnt be a problem employing you on that basis. You would also still have to go to college on day release and would probably find that most of the students were alot younger than you, but in my experience that wasnt a problem we all got on fine!

I think alot of sallys courses will require you to have some experience of the basics or be NVQ level2 qualified at least, because they generally show you additional / new techniques and skills to those you have already learnt.

I agree with lauren that a day course is not going to give you the skills or knowledge to be competetent in hairdressing and im not sure that you would get insurance either!!!

Id start looking for salons taking on apprentices or contact your college!

why would the college say dat? :s dat they ave to pay me min wage thn :s so confussed on and the appertiship two yrs were if i went 2 coll full time its a yr

Last edited:
That's because there is alot to learn, there's alot theory. Ie you can't just pick a colour and stick it on someones hair with out knowing the science behind colour!

There is no quick fix, i doubt you would be confident doing clients hair without the correct skills and knowledge behind you, even us pros question ourselves from time to time!

Google apprentice wages, all the info comes up there!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Ano dat but why is it college full time a yr and apprentiship 2 yr

It depends on afew things, your employer, whether the salon has assessors in it, how hard you work etc, i did my level 2in 10months, but i was lucky, i had good support both in college and in the salon and was pushed and also sent on other training courses whilst training!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

awww dats gd i need sum thing like that

im saying the wont employee me as a junior coz of my age and if i did sallys course i could go mobile couldn't i?? x

I'm already a qualfied beauty therpist but i do it mobile and always get asked if i do hair but i say no i could reapply for nvq 2 but id ave 2 do it for a yr but wif ppl 3 yrs younger thn me and id jst wanna gett on and do it

What difference does it make what age the rest of the people in your class would be? I'm 29, I'm in a class where the age ranges from 17 up to 34. If you really want to do the course then reapply and do it.

Latest posts

Back