Salon - chair rent help !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregsaunders

Reaction score
Hello geeks,

me and one of my colleagues are really unhappy in our current salon, and after trying to resolve things with the salon owner we feel as if we are getting nowhere. neither of us are used to working with no equiptment or products (e.g colours arent being ordered, we still dont have a hood dryer after 8 months of nagging and our wages are oftern late and incorrect). we feel that the salon does not do us as stylists justice and it also means that we feel our clients arent getting the best service we can offer them.

me and my colleague would like to stay working together as we feel we make a good team and share similar views and goals, the job market locally is pretty bare so we have been looking into renting a space or renting chairs within a salon however these are also very thin on the ground and i wanted to know if you have any tips on where to begin to look for rent-a-chair salons or salon spaces to rent as i have become rather stuck in my quest !

if anyone could also impart some advise it would be great to as both of us have only ever been employed and are quite unaware of what renting a chair can involve.

sorry for the massive message lol

Greg x

Best bet is to approach salon owners direct and ask if they would consider renting. Very few stylists do rent a chair, most want to be employed, so we generally dont advertise for chair rents. My renter found me this way.
She pays a set rent and provides everything for herself. She does her own bookings and takes her own payments. Her salon was sold (the building was, not the business) so she has a clientele.
If you have a good clientele, it is a great idea. Bear in mind that the salon will not give you clients over their existing staff.

Hi there, the salon owner cant get away with this, do you have a manager in place or is she/he the manager? I own a couple of salons where i rent chairs to stylists, and i just advertised, but if you cannot find anything, why not just call local salons and find out where is taking on self employed staff. The main thing about 'rent a chair' is that you are self employed, most salons will expect you to either pay a weekly rent, all stylists will usually pay the same rent, wethere they are full or part time OR they will buy theyre own stock, but no rent. So you need to weigh up the options, and you need to decide wether you have enough clientel to be self employed, because if your paying £200 a week in rent, you need to be earning around £800 a week to make enough money (after tax etc).
When you mention that your wages are often 'late or incorrect' what do you mean? Is she paying you minimum wage? Is she paying her NI contributions for you and there for are you 'legally' working for her? If this is not the case she could be in serious trouble, and tribunal would surely ensure you are paid they money owed and keep your job.
Have you spoken to your boss about 'renting a chair' from her?
I noticed that you in Wolverhampton, do you mind me asking where you work, as im in Shropshire.
hope this helps Donna

Hiya
I would speak to your manager to see whether they can help sort things out for you. The salon sounds awful and to be honest I would be out of there like a flash otherwise your reputation will suffer. Why should your reputation suffer because of a sloppy salon owner who clearly has no interest in the business. If he isnt ordering colours and stock then how can you do your job? It seems like he has major money problems as well if your wages are late or not being paid correct, along with poor working conditions such as no stock or dryers:o, These are the signs that suggest to me that its time to leave him to it.
I am just outside Birmingham so not too far away from you but there are loads of salons in Wolverhampton so it shouldnt be too difficult to get another job. I am mobile now and love it so if you drive could this be an option for you?
I used to rent a chair about nine years ago but to be honest I wouldnt recommend it as you do have to have a good clientelle to make it work. xx

thanks for your replys guys,
well i have enquired and am looking into chair rental, but i am also planning to go back to college in september two days per week to do my lv3, so i am unsure about such up-heaval before i have my college place finalized. its just so furstrating because we could have a brilliant salon if it was managed well, i might approch her about renting the chair in the salon as this could be a solution, im just getting frustrated with the current situation, im sure may people have been in the same position as me, and if i didnt need the money i would have walked months ago !

thanks for the support

greg x

greg, as an employer myself, i would urge you to contact acas before you talk to your boss. They will give you advice on what to say or wether you need to put anything in writing. It sounds to me like very bad managment, and you should be careful about speaking to her/him, there usually the type to give you the push if they think youre on to them. Ive seen this loads of times, phone acas 1st!

Last edited:
I was a renter for about a year in a great salon then just recently the salon went up for sale so I bought it! I feel that being a renter first made the transition a lot easier. Definately do rent a chair if you have the clientelle. I really loved the challenge, but be aware of all the work you need to do, be prepared to do all your own advertising, cleaning, taxes and insurances. It is a lot of responsability but totally worth it!

i got a chair which i am looking to rent in woodend road wv11 wolverhampton woul have to speak to you to see what you was looking for?

8 months with no dryer??? Well past time to move on, have you considered opening your own shop?

hi im in northwich cheshire and was wondering if any one knows fo a salon that would do a rent a chair thing????? ive been hairdressing for 16 years now want to be in a salon but want to be my own boss:)

Latest posts

Back