Scheduling clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank

Reaction score
Hey!
I was looking to ask how are you doing efficient scheduling for your clients? What tools / techniques do you use?

Thanks, Frank.

Hi Frank, I’m a beauty therapist based in the U.K.

I have online scheduling software but I worked out what mixtures of bookings suited me before I enabled online booking. First I built up my business in the model that worked for me, only then did I allow clients to book online (and for the first year only existing clients could book online - the first appointment had to be booked via reception, even if it was only an email exchange).

For example I can make my money on lots of small value bookings or a smaller number of high value bookings, or a combination of the two. I asked myself what type of bookings I wanted for each day and time of day. Gradually I created an idea of dynamic availability where I would “save” premium times of day/days of the week for the high value clients I really wanted to be able to accept. and offer low value bookings in the time slots that were left.

I worked out the ideal times to offer certain treatments in order to maximise bookings, depending on the enquiry I might offer 10am/10:45/12:30 to enquiry A for a 30 minute booking and 10:30/11:30 to client B asking for 60 minutes. That way I’d minimise unbookable white space between appointments.

Managing the bookings became an increasingly complex activity. I trained my receptionist carefully - I worked out which treatments were most likely to be rebooked and over what timeframe so we then had VIP services which could be booked in the premium time slots and lesser ranked treatments which I would turn away.. I also gave her a template of what types of business (treatments) I wanted at different times/days throughout the week.

We used this as the template for rebooking clients, gradually steering them into the time slots that suited us.. We did the same thing for each therapist so that everyone was working in the way that best suited their skillset and preferences.

Once I’d worked this out it was easy to set my availability online to accept or deny different services throughout the day. Reception became a challenging role. I took it over myself and now I’m exploring using virtual reception services. Developing a “system” for how you want to book your time enables you to optimise productivity and profitability and build in business resilience.

Hi Frank, I’m a beauty therapist based in the U.K.

I have online scheduling software but I worked out what mixtures of bookings suited me before I enabled online booking. First I built up my business in the model that worked for me, only then did I allow clients to book online (and for the first year only existing clients could book online - the first appointment had to be booked via reception, even if it was only an email exchange).

For example I can make my money on lots of small value bookings or a smaller number of high value bookings, or a combination of the two. I asked myself what type of bookings I wanted for each day and time of day. Gradually I created an idea of dynamic availability where I would “save” premium times of day/days of the week for the high value clients I really wanted to be able to accept. and offer low value bookings in the time slots that were left.

I worked out the ideal times to offer certain treatments in order to maximise bookings, depending on the enquiry I might offer 10am/10:45/12:30 to enquiry A for a 30 minute booking and 10:30/11:30 to client B asking for 60 minutes. That way I’d minimise unbookable white space between appointments.

Managing the bookings became an increasingly complex activity. I trained my receptionist carefully - I worked out which treatments were most likely to be rebooked and over what timeframe so we then had VIP services which could be booked in the premium time slots and lesser ranked treatments which I would turn away.. I also gave her a template of what types of business (treatments) I wanted at different times/days throughout the week.

We used this as the template for rebooking clients, gradually steering them into the time slots that suited us.. We did the same thing for each therapist so that everyone was working in the way that best suited their skillset and preferences.

Once I’d worked this out it was easy to set my availability online to accept or deny different services throughout the day. Reception became a challenging role. I took it over myself and now I’m exploring using virtual reception services. Developing a “system” for how you want to book your time enables you to optimise productivity and profitability and build in business resilience.
Oh wow! Thank you! So comprehensive!

Have you looked into AI scheduling softwares that would act like front-desk? What's your take on online receptions? Have you found anything that covers the needs yet or still looking into?

Seems you have pretty tight schedule and it makes me wonder what's the size of your business (daily bookings / employee count or are you solo?)
Really love that you are keeping an eye on the higher value customers and making them 1st priority and second comes later. Makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the reply, really helpful!

Hi Frank. I opened 10 years ago and built my business up to £110k turnover pa within 18 months. At one point I had a team of 10, 2 locations and a training school.

Covid gave me the chance to experiment with one to one working. I discovered clients loved it, average booking value tripled and it suited me - but not my team who wanted the camaraderie of colleagues and a hand with clearing up and reception duties.

A year ago I took the plunge to work solo. This has worked amazingly well for me and I’ve never been happier or so relaxed! My new biz has dropped off mainly because I’m no longer covering reception as I’m working in the business, I used to have a 200% conversion rate for enquiries (new clients would book more services than their initial enquiry plus buy for friends). So that’s something I need to keep an eye on.

I’m very open to the idea of a virtual pa/reception service, we have more limited virtual availability in the U.K. but there are some good companies. I really want someone who can book enquiries and take payments and access my client systems. Due to data protection issues that’s not possible.. (it is legal - I just can’t find a company who can do it). I’m not so keen on AI chat bots because the sort of enquiries that can’t navigate a website are not my ideal clients.

My main issue is that I am overwhelmed with speculative sales enquiries which I can deflect in seconds just by leaving my ansaphone switched on, but a virtual reception service would burn through money simply answering these calls. I’d have to spend quite a bit of money to prove the concept. It’s something to think about for this year, or maybe I’ll recruit someone working independently as a virtual pa who has a portfolio of clients.

Latest posts

Back