Shampoo and extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollymare

Reaction score
Hi all, Ive had pre-bonded human hair extensions put in, the salon told me to use Tigi Self Absorbed shampoo and conditioner but Im not sure if I can use it all over my hair (including over the bonds) or not. Please help!:confused:

Last edited:
Hi all, Ive had pre-bonded human hair extensions put in, the salon told me to use Tigi Self Absorbed shampoo and conditioner but Im not sure if I can use it all over my hair (including over the bonds) or not. Please help!:confused:

Hi , oooh how lovely for you ,
you will have to let us know all about them ?
and what type you had ?
any before and after pics ?

Didn't they give you any written aftercare sheets ?
each type of system will have its own aftercare ,
I would pop back in and get an after care sheet.

as a general rule do not use any shampoos or conditioners which contain any silicone in them as this can make the bonds slip and break down .

Also when washing the hair always wash it in the shower so the water runs in the same direction as the hair ( flowing downwards )

When conditioning your extensions don't put any conditioner near the bonds,
just put the conditioner on the mid lengths and ends :hug: good luck x

Oh thanks Minky, I didn't think anyone was going to reply! Great advice, I'll get an after care sheet from the salon, they should have given me one when I was there I guess, oh well! I haven't got any before and after pics, I didn't think of getting any! Thanks for the advice again though!

hi you dont have to use any special shampoo that is the salons way of getting little extra from you (as if you not paid enough) i have had extentions for 9 years could not live without them and you can shampoo all over including bonds but conditioner only on the ends hun and no hairspray near bonds that will bring them out quicker than ever also just a little tip hun when they start to grow just separate them at root from each other other wise you end up with dredlock roots hope this helps

Mmmmm I know this is an older post but I nor my clients got on with Hairaiser hair,
especially the wefts or the bundle hair ,
as none of the above seemed to be root to tip correct ,

it was also silicone coated and once the silicone wore off ,
the hair then interlocked,

a good few years back
they brought out some expensive pre bonded extension hair ,

but I wouldnt be tempted into trying it now incase it was like all the other silicone coated that hair they sold ,

I am not saying it was rubbish , but there was a problem with it
there were a lot of hairs in those wefts and bundles
that when examined under a microscope had been placed in upside down

and when that happens
as any experienced hair extensionist knows
to use it on a client would only be a recipe for disaster

a simple test of rubbing a wet finger and thumb up and down a few hairs at a time
will let you know which way the hair is laying it should make a squeaky noise when rubbed upwards toward the roots ,
and feel smooth when going downwards ,
try it on your own hair :)

if the extension hair does niether and just feels silky smooth ,
then the hair will have been processed and silicone coated,

and in my own
personal and professional opinion it will not be good hair to work with,

I find that good quality hair that is root to point correct
doesnt need an array of products for aftercare ,

a good non silicone conditioner and shampoo together with a good hair extension brush
the aftercare programme leaflet, and good a chat with the extensionist about maintenence
is all they should require.

Just thinking though perhaps Hairaisers hair bundle and weft hair has improved now ?

must admit though I do like thier wigs and add on pieces :)

I know this one's a little old now but for anyone just researching... Paul Mitchell Shampoo One is also great 'cause it's so mild! I had balmain extensions in and used this over and over. You can use it all over but obviously be a little gentle through the roots/bonds.. My hair dresser advised any conditioner would be OK but try to keep away from the bonds, just run through the body of the hair. Mine lasted so well, longest was 4 months and taken only because they had grown too much!! Also other top tips for keeping them looking great... always use a hair extension brush.. you can get a balmain one for few pounds, and at night just put in loose bunches (nice soft scrunchies are great for this) and wear a bandana.. sexy I know but really helps... also found they took ages to dry so used Paul Mitchell Fast Drying Sculting Spray cut the drying time down by half!!! Toot toot! longer in bed! :green:

Latest posts

Back