Shellac help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahl87

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I'm a newbie round here so bear with me [emoji1]

I've recently set up my own mobile nail business after being made redundant last year. I trained as a beauty therapist about 6 years ago but never really got going with anything as I then had my 2 little ones.

I'm having a few teething issues with shellac. Most of my ladies are getting 2 weeks wear with no trouble all but I went to see a lady whose nails were quite damaged (flakey & peeling) from an NSS salon. I applied shellac but warned her it may not last 2 weeks given the condition of her nail. Surprising it did but I have now applied a new set and she messaged me the next day to say that a few had chipped!

I also done a friends nails which all peeled off after a couple of days. I re done them for her taking extra care with all the steps and the same thing happened!

Could this be something I have done wrong or just down to nail condition?

Also I trained with a local training provider (not the best I have to say!) They didn't provide any info on troubleshooting issues etc just literally how to apply! Do you think it's worth booking onto the official CND conversion course?

Thanks in advance ladies, I have to say this site has been so so helpful for me the past few weeks [emoji177]

Have you got the CND lamp & all the prep products from sweet squared or ellisons?

Those nss nails will take months to grow out & become healthy again so she needs to be patient while they grow, I would buy IBX from louella belle & apply it fortnightly while her nails grow out.

It's a great add on to service & has fantastic results.

Can you talk us through all the steps you do for your prep and application including which products and lamp.

I would definitely recommend the official CND Shellac training as well. It will ensure you fully understand your products and if you do ever come upon any issues it's much easier to troubleshoot.

Thank you for your replies. I will have a look at the IBX, thank you.

Yes I brought a starter kit from Sweet Squared with everything including the lamp.

The steps I follow are,

File and cuticle work with cuticle away
Scrub-fresh
Thin base coat
2 x colour coats
Top coat
DSperse
Cuticle oil and hand cream

I think I will book onto the CND course, wish I had just done it in the first place instead of this other course [emoji51]

What do you remove the cuticle away with?. I did the shellac two day course and really liked it.

I give the Nail a good wipe with scrubfresh. When I've been reading through threads I've seen that some people wipe off with soapy water? This wasn't taught on my course though so I haven't been doing that

That'll be it, I did that once by accident & it all peeled off in three days. The cuticle away only neutralises with water or soapy water.

You should be spraying water on a lint free wipe, cleaning it off, then a good go over with Scrubfresh.

Thank you for your advice. How annoying that they didn't teach that on my course! I've not done that with any clients do far so must have been getting lucky with them not all chipping [emoji51]

I have a re shellac appointment this evening so will add that extra step in

Latest posts

Back