Shellac & lamps

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glamdoll

Reaction score
I use Vinylux in my salon as well as Gelish & Gelicure, I would really like to stock & use Shellacas my main gel, but it depends on whether I can use my normal UV lamp? would I be able to? otherwise I will just have to stock up on my gelish for now.

Hi Glamdoll, only the CND or Brisa lamps will cure Shellac. HTH! :)

CND like you to use their lamp for the Shellac as it is calibrated to cure their product effectively. I use a CND lamp, but I do know others who don't. However if you invest in a CND lamp it will cure your other bands :)

Hi Glamdoll, only the CND or Brisa lamps will cure Shellac. HTH! :)

My shellac cures just fine I have a CND lamp and a 36 watt UVA lamp I use both at the same time and can't tell the difference ;-)
And I hear CND are bringing out a led lamp.

This topic has been done to death and I highly suspect its going to turn in to another slanging match.

OP to answer your question yes only the CND lamp will cure Shellac. You cannot see under curing so you could potentially be putting yourself and clients at risk if you do not use the CND lamp, not to mention your insurance would be void. I highly recommend you do a search or even go into the nail geek forum on here because right at the top there is a thread at the top all about lamps. I also suggest reading Doug Schoons articles on the matter which I'm sure are within the thread I just mentioned.

As others have said your gelish etc can be cured in the CND uv lamp. Yes they are bringing out an LED lamp but we have no set date as of yet, all we know is sometime 2014.

Xx

O what a coincidence the cnd lamp will cure all other gel, but not the other way around hmmmmmm!!!!!!!
Would the other company's see it like that ;-)
No slagging match thanks but I will stick with my opinion.

O what a coincidence the cnd lamp will cure all other gel, but not the other way around hmmmmmm!!!!!!!
Would the other company's see it like that ;-)
No slagging match thanks but I will stick with my opinion.

And most of us will stick with the Science facts and client Health & Safety. For the record, it isn't a coincidence at all.
The vast majority of UV cured colour coats are pure gel formulations, and therefore all very similar. That they can all be cured with a generic 36w lamp is therefore not unusual and stands to reason.

As CND Shellac is a unique formula in comparison to many others, and not 100% gel you could draw the logical conclusion that a specific lamp that was specifically designed and engineered in conjunction with that product to correctly cure it is not just a marketing ploy.

If you choose to ignore the science and the instructions for correct and safe use of a product, and trust that even though you are not a Scientist or Engineer with the equiptment that can satisfactorily test whether a full cure has been achieved with an alternate lamp, by all means go ahead.

But please do not promote that opinion, which is uninformed, on a public, professional forum that many others access when it directly contradicts the manufacturer's directions. If CND themselves do not recommend this practice, and their Research Scientists instruct a particular method that is the safe, insurable method of use, then that is the only one acceptable for discussion and advisement amongst professionals.

I Have recently brought a CND lamp replacing my generic led lamp, as I have switched over to shellac from
IBD Just gel and I also needed a uv lamp to cure my IBD Hard gels.

For the price difference between my generic and not too professional looking small led lamp and my new fancy pants CND lamp I wish I had swapped a long time ago, it really is great and the price is fab for the quality product your getting! Plus it is the only thing that cures CND Shellac :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

And most of us will stick with the Science facts and client Health & Safety. For the record, it isn't a coincidence at all.
The vast majority of UV cured colour coats are pure gel formulations, and therefore all very similar. That they can all be cured with a generic 36w lamp is therefore not unusual and stands to reason.

As CND Shellac is a unique formula in comparison to many others, and not 100% gel you could draw the logical conclusion that a specific lamp that was specifically designed and engineered in conjunction with that product to correctly cure it is not just a marketing ploy.

If you choose to ignore the science and the instructions for correct and safe use of a product, and trust that even though you are not a Scientist or Engineer with the equiptment that can satisfactorily test whether a full cure has been achieved with an alternate lamp, by all means go ahead.

But please do not promote that opinion, which is uninformed, on a public, professional forum that many others access when it directly contradicts the manufacturer's directions. If CND themselves do not recommend this practice, and their Research Scientists instruct a particular method that is the safe, insurable method of use, then that is the only one acceptable for discussion and advisement amongst professionals.

Now that, x Fee x, is what I call a ' perfect' response ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the problem if it does not cure to the naked eye? If you can't tell, and the client can't tell, and it lasts just as long. What are the health and safety issues plz x

What are the reasons that no other lamp will cure shellac properly yet the Cnd lamp can cure every single other brand fine?

So what's the problem if it does not cure to the naked eye? If you can't tell, and the client can't tell, and it lasts just as long. What are the health and safety issues plz x

Under curing can lead to over exposure of uncured products leading to allergies etc, I'm sure a geek with the correct terminology will be along soon. Hth x

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

ummm... so you can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want your client to be exposed to uncured product for a prolonged period of time? basic stuff.

You are also risking a heat spike if the wrong combination of lamp and product is used.

Not to mention you are directly going against the manufacturers instructions and therefore have voided your insurance.

All this information is in the stickys at the top of the nail forum and I highly recommend that you read Doug's article on UV curing. http://www.schoonscientific.com/downloads/tech-articles/article-7-Secrets-to-Curing.pdf

What are the reasons that no other lamp will cure shellac properly yet the Cnd lamp can cure every single other brand fine?

I believe fee has explained it pretty well in her post above. Essentially the formulation of Shellac is different to many other gel polishs and it has lower levels of photo-initators so it needs to receive the correct and amount and type of UV light. It *may* be that other lamps do cure shellac but unless you are going to properly test every colour in a laboratory you have no way of knowing. It is a moot point as CND state that you must use their lamp, if you don't your insurance is void.

Incidentally CND do not make any Claim that their lamps cures every other single brand, it is the other brands stated that any 36w lamp will do. How they can know that all 36w UV lamps work with their products even sshiity ebay ones i don't know -unless they are so packed fulll of photo-initiators or maybe they just don't care?????

I haven't seen another UV lamp on the market which has the bulb countdown that the CND one does (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) so I have no idea how techs using non-CND lamps are deciding when to change their bulbs??

The issue is not that you asked this question (querying is good for ones learning) but the fact that you ask with arrogance when a sensible answer has been given by Fee and supported by other geeks who also have experience with the product.

Yes, this is a professional forum and accurate information about product usage is extremely important. I also agree that this subject has been done to death. You will find this subject in search but a couple of links have been provided for you. Makes excellent reading.

CND Shellac has a proprietary formula and it uses different and fewer photinitiators than other gel polishes. Photoinitiators are most often the source of chemical sensitivity in gel polishes, so this is one reason CND Shellac is considered hypoallergenic. Because it uses fewer and different photo initiators, it is a bit more difficult to cure. The CND lamp was designed to throughly cure CND Shellac - that design includes the bulb wattage and placement as well as the placement of reflectors and the client's hand. Because CND Shellac is harder to cure than other brands and the CND Shellac lamp is designed for it, it also works very well on other brands that allow the use of a 36 watt lamp. If you've never tried the CND Shellac lamp, it's worth taking a look at, it's an excellent lamp. It is likely that there are other lamps that can cure CND Shellac, but there is no guarantee. Given the stakes, it would be irresponsible not to use the proper lamp.

While service breakdown is indeed an issue when gel is not properly cured, the real problem with improperly cured gel is that it exposes the client to uncured gel, a source of chemical sensitivity - that's serious business because the allergy is permanent. If you look at some of the DIY sites, you'll find the stories of a number of people who developed allergies after using the wrong lamps; it's not pretty. There is no easily accessible way to measure whether a gel is completely cured, and gels harden at only about 55% cured, so it is hard long before it is totally cured. Doug Schoon calls it curing "to the eye" and it does not mean that the gel is thoroughly and properly cured.

CND Shellac can be cured with ANY lamp.

All this talk of you must use a CND lamp to cure shellac is just to put pressure on you to spend a lot of money on a lamp and promote the CND brand.

You could use any lamp to cure shellac. I work in a salon and we have the CND Shellac polishes however, we use another brand of lamp.

Our clients get two - three weeks wear without any problem.

Dont get pulled into the trap

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Conspiracy

CND Shellac can be cured with ANY lamp.

All this talk of you must use a CND lamp to cure shellac is just to put pressure on you to spend a lot of money on a lamp and promote the CND brand.

You could use any lamp to cure shellac. I work in a salon and we have the CND Shellac polishes however, we use another brand of lamp.

Our clients get two - three weeks wear without any problem.

Dont get pulled into the trap

Wow it's like you have come on here to brag about the fact you are a NSS Salon! Scary the level of ignorance in our industry.

The facts have been clearly laid out in this thread, including by an independent researcher in the field and yet someone can still say it is just a conspiracy!!!

You may be sceptical at first but do your own research before making such ridiculous statements! I wouldn't dream of telling people to go against industry protocol and break the terms of their insurance unless I had something concrete to back up my statements. Anecdotal evidence of 'no problems so far' is hardly reason! There are plenty of threads on here of people who have had problems with the wrong lamp and i've seen it on more than one occasion in real life too.

Wow it's like you have come on here to brag about the fact you are a NSS Salon! Scary the level of ignorance in our industry.

The facts have been clearly laid out in this thread, including by an independent researcher in the field and yet someone can still say it is just a conspiracy!!!

You may be sceptical at first but do your own research before making such ridiculous statements! I wouldn't dream of telling people to go against industry protocol and break the terms of their insurance unless I had something concrete to back up my statements. Anecdotal evidence of 'no problems so far' is hardly reason! There are plenty of threads on here of people who have had problems with the wrong lamp and i've seen it on more than one occasion in real life too.

Calm down and please do not lower me to a NSS salon.

There is no need to talk down to someone - in fact it is extremely

Clearly you are yet another brainwashed individual.

"CND says this so therefore I must do it or it will not work"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back