Shellac-which cuticle oil & removal product?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trudy.trudylee

Reaction score
i;ve been reading some threads on here as im finding its taking 3/4 hr to remove shellac (i am new to shellac so still practising) & i wanted to know what i was doing wrong. theres threads on here which suggest dsolve rather than nourishing remover - i have got the nourishing remover but should i switch to dsolve?

also, i suggest cuticle oil to my clients, but not solar oil as i didnt realise it aids removal too. can i recommend and retail any cuticle oil or does it have to be solar oil (just trying to keep costs down for my clients)
thanks

Hi Trudy, have you done any training with your CND Shellac? I only ask this because when I did the "Shellac brings 'em back" course, removal was covered. Have a word with your tutor, or try an email to Kelly at S2. I'm sure one of the Geeks will post some help tips soon. :)

Hi Trudy, have you done any training with your CND Shellac? I only ask this because when I did the "Shellac brings 'em back" course, removal was covered. Have a word with your tutor, or try an email to Kelly at S2. I'm sure one of the Geeks will post some help tips soon. :)

Hi, no i did a generic gel course and am considering the shellac brings em back course now to iron out all my issues. thanks

3-4 hours??? That is really long Hun shellac should only take 10-15 minutes to remove.
What is your removal process step by step and I might be able to help with issues in your method :)
Also is it the nourishing remover you use? I use 100% acetone and it works perfectly for me :)
My method is I gently buff the top of the shellac to loosen the topcoat, then soak a small nail pad in acetone and wrap onto the nail using tin foil. Leave for 10 mins, twist and pull off the foil & the majority of the shellac should slide off with the foil. Then gently push the rest off with an orange wood stick :)
Shouldn't take any longer than 15-20 minutes :)
Hope this has helped xxxx

You could try pure acetone to remove and soak cotton wool pad and wrap with foil. It should come off really easily in 10 mins. Is that the method you're using? Are you using Shellac from an official stockist either Sweet Squared or Ellisons? Xxx

You could try pure acetone to remove and soak cotton wool pad and wrap with foil. It should come off really easily in 10 mins. Is that the method you're using? Are you using Shellac from an official stockist either Sweet Squared or Ellisons? Xxx

hi, as an experiment i used nourishing remover from ellisons on one hand, and a cheaper product (gellux remover) on the other hand to see what made a difference. and they were just as bad as each other, ive tried foil and pads plus bought the shellac remover wraps as wondereed if i wasnt wrapping tight enough with the wraps. i think my base coat may be too thick, and my client used no cuticle oil so i can see where im going wrong. however reading the threads people mention using dsolve instead and i didnt know if that was better to use, and if i could retail a different cuticle oil to solar oil?does the cuticle oil brand make much difference?

3-4 hours??? That is really long Hun shellac should only take 10-15 minutes to remove.
What is your removal process step by step and I might be able to help with issues in your method :)
Also is it the nourishing remover you use? I use 100% acetone and it works perfectly for me :)
My method is I gently buff the top of the shellac to loosen the topcoat, then soak a small nail pad in acetone and wrap onto the nail using tin foil. Leave for 10 mins, twist and pull off the foil & the majority of the shellac should slide off with the foil. Then gently push the rest off with an orange wood stick :)
Shouldn't take any longer than 15-20 minutes :)
Hope this has helped xxxx

oh no not 3-4 hours, but three quarters of an hour. i didnt want tto buff as that was one of the reasons i chose shellac as dont like the idea of buffing. thanks

You don't have to buff anything. When you apply, make sure all the coats, especially the base, is thin. When you wrap, make sure the cotton pad is saturated with acetone or dsolve and wrapped well, not wobbling around with acetone leaking out everywhere. And if the client has cold hands, you can place a towel over them so they can warm up a bit. I know the instructions say 10 minutes wrapped, but lately I've been doing 11-12 minutes only because I'm finding I'm still having that sugary texture (leftover base coat) left on my client's nails and the extra swipe with a acetone pad isn't helping it off. 11-12 minutes seems to work for me at the moment.

If the client uses their cuticle oil regularly like instructed (minimum twice a day), it does come off a bit easier, but rarely do I get those type of clients. (The big white dehydration patches are a dead give away.) Solar oil is the usually suggested cuticle oil, but I've been using Dadi Oil for 2 years now, and I prefer it over solar oil. I find it absorbs into skin better, and I don't have to worry if a client has a nut allergy.

You don't have to buff anything. When you apply, make sure all the coats, especially the base, is thin. When you wrap, make sure the cotton pad is saturated with acetone or dsolve and wrapped well, not wobbling around with acetone leaking out everywhere. And if the client has cold hands, you can place a towel over them so they can warm up a bit. I know the instructions say 10 minutes wrapped, but lately I've been doing 11-12 minutes only because I'm finding I'm still having that sugary texture (leftover base coat) left on my client's nails and the extra swipe with a acetone pad isn't helping it off. 11-12 minutes seems to work for me at the moment.

If the client uses their cuticle oil regularly like instructed (minimum twice a day), it does come off a bit easier, but rarely do I get those type of clients. (The big white dehydration patches are a dead give away.) Solar oil is the usually suggested cuticle oil, but I've been using Dadi Oil for 2 years now, and I prefer it over solar oil. I find it absorbs into skin better, and I don't have to worry if a client has a nut allergy.

Thanks for that. really helpful. would you recommned dsolve over the nourishing remover or does it not really make much difference? and just to confirm, if your clients dont use cuticle oil it doesnt really affect removal for you? so i could retail any cuticle oil ?

Thanks for that. really helpful. would you recommned dsolve over the nourishing remover or does it not really make much difference? and just to confirm, if your clients dont use cuticle oil it doesnt really affect removal for you? so i could retail any cuticle oil ?

Dsolve pretty much is acetone. If you look at the Shellac starter kit, they give a small bottle of acetone instead of Dsolve as Dsolve is a Sweet Squared product (from what I've been told). I do find plain acetone works better than the nourishing remover even though the nourishing remover smells better. :lol:

I think my clients NOT using their cuticle oil does effect the removal. I know of 4 off the top of my head that use theirs regularly and I never have a problem with their removal. 1 of them comes back every 4 weeks and her Shellac just flakes right off clean after 10 minutes. As for which cuticle oil to retail, I can't really comment on any other brands as I've only stuck to Solar Oil and Dadi Oil. I remember reading Jim Nordstrom is the brains behind both of those, and they're very good.

A couple of months ago I ran out of solar oil & had to do an emergency run to the local suppliers. All they had was the kaeso cuticle oil, and it was on 3 for 2 so I grabbed 3.

My shellac clients loved the smell, and I found it was doing the job just as well as solar, and at half the price, so i have now stocked up and am sticking with kaeso cuticle oil x

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Are you shaking the bottle properly before applying the shellac? When I did my shellac training we had it explained exactly how it works and if the bottle hasn't been shaken it won't distribute the polymers within the polish (I think that's the right word?! Lol) and therefore won't allow the reaction to take place properly to crack and remove the shellac when the nourishing remover is applied.

I probably haven't explained that very well but basically make sure you are really shaking up each bottle before you apply it :)

oh no not 3-4 hours, but three quarters of an hour. i didnt want tto buff as that was one of the reasons i chose shellac as dont like the idea of buffing. thanks

Ahh right haha I must have misread!
I just tend to buff if the shellac is done by another tech, just in case it isn't actually shellac!
Without buffing removal will still be fine with genuine shellac :)
Also make are your basecoat isn't too thick a that can lengthen the removal xxxx

I always recommend doing the correct training as all gels are different systems and have different ways to apply and remove. For example, you will be trained never to buff anything when using Shellac, that's one of it's positive points.

As the others have said it takes 10 minutes to soak off. I use a cotton wool pad saturated in pure acetone, tightly wrap in tin foil and leave for 10 minutes. It should come off easily with an orange stick then.

The Shellac Brings em back course is really good.

Just double checking also, is it defiantly CND Shellac your using for base, colour And top from sweet squared or ellisons? X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Are you shaking the bottle properly before applying the shellac? When I did my shellac training we had it explained exactly how it works and if the bottle hasn't been shaken it won't distribute the polymers within the polish (I think that's the right word?! Lol) and therefore won't allow the reaction to take place properly to crack and remove the shellac when the nourishing remover is applied.

I probably haven't explained that very well but basically make sure you are really shaking up each bottle before you apply it :)

hi, yes i thought i was shaking the bottle enough, but then on another thread i read they suggested rolling the bottle rather than shaking (i still shake mine), thanks

Just double checking also, is it defiantly CND Shellac your using for base, colour And top from sweet squared or ellisons? X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

yes, def from ellisons & sweet squared. im thinking its the combination of too thick a base coat & clients not using cuticle oil.

Latest posts

Back