Should I go elsewhere? Still new

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love4orchids21

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I love what I do! I've grown a lot and will never change careers but I'm looking for an honest opinion for either a reality check or a second opinion on leaving.

So to start! The salon I'm at is commission only, we are not paid hourly and booth rent is not offered and is a heated subject there. Our hours are 9-6 4 days a week and 9-9 two days. I must make myself available 60 hours a week! At 5 if it slows it's acceptable to kinda leave if no ones come in. This salon has decent walk in clientele but some days one or two will walk in. We are paid 60% commission but we buy all of our own products, no styling products, color, nada. Just back bar ( which she still complains and threatens to charge). We have no receptionist and it's our responsibility to make a "team" effort to answer phones on top of towel service and help walk in clients with questions, and clean.

Flash back to them hiring me, I was an intern and worked for free for 6 months, I mostly just watched everyone work, asked a few questions and helped clean. After about 10 month of working for her I was selling my own home and took maybe 3 days off total in the month I was told that she felt I didn't earn that, and I needed to try harder, and boost my confidence. Granted she hired me right out of school, she would complain about my confidence with men's cuts but never would ask what I'm struggling with or help me. I finally just got over my fear and now I'm soaring with everything from men's cuts to color and really working it.

She hired three new girls that know nothing and it's up to everyone to train them because the owners not always there to help, and I'm finding myself frustrated because that's going to take away from my business and I feel like what I give (45-60) hours a week just isn't enough. We aren't busy enough to hire 3 girls (2 part time, 1 full time). I feel extremely frustrated, over worked, underpaid. The area I work there isn't a lot of money and service prices are higher for the area so it's hard!

She complains there's no money yet her and her husbands take a vacation every 2-3 weeks, she's never there, we often run out of coffee, toilet paper, cleaners. Chairs and sinks are broken and haven't been fixed. Girls get frustrated because we don't see the commission money going anywhere at all.

Do I need a reality check of suck it up? Or should I look in other areas? My boyfriend and I are talking about moving in together but I'm scared of starting all over, but hiring new girls that I now must help train is making me feel a different higher end area is good!

I'm not sure if I'll be much help being across the pond from you, but...

In the UK, in your working situation is a big NO! If you are not actually employed, as in a weekly/monthly wage with a contract of employment, you are not employed. You are self employed.

Where as you pay your own taxes, buy all your own stock, set your own hours, and prices. You are your own business and she is just your landlady, not your boss!

If she is taking 40% of everything you earn, thst should include, towels, reception, refreshments, generally back wash ETC..and you provide, colours and styling products.

I would have a search around your area to see how other salons work, but I doubt it would be much different to how we do it here.

While you're at it, I would also search for a more reputable salon to work in. This one doesn't seem fit for purpose if half your vital equipment is faulty.

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you, I forgot to add too she also wants to do education and start selling tickets to schools and we will all be involved, as teachers and models and there hasn't really been mention of pay for that. Thank you for responding, I don't have experience in other salons so second opinions are nice! Any advice is appreciated

So she is expecting you to give up your time out of your working day to train people? Unpaid? No!!

You are self employed, your own boss! She is taking you all for granted.

If I asked my girls to give up their time for free to train others when they could be earning money I'd expect them to tell me to eff off

I think it's time to find another salon with better working conditions my lovely! You shouldn't have to put up with that. It's just wrong.

Just to add we all give up our time to train the junior team. They work their socks off for us during the week and this is why they are there.

I'm a bit confused by your post, are you actually a qualified hairdresser? There's no mention of having proper training just that you watch everyone for 10 moths then started cutting hair??

*sorry misread I'm assuming she hires you straight out of Cosmo school

Agree 100% with KHS. Her salon wouldn't last very long at all, this side of the pond running it and you like that.

As a priority, start looking for somewhere else where you can build up a successful business for yourself.

Training junior staff for her for free when you're running your own business is just nonsense. Is she also getting a cut from the colleges having their juniors in her salon?

Colourgirly, I think (or how I read it) the schools buy a ticket to cone into the salon to be trained by the hairdressers and for the hairdressers to be models for the school people who buy a ticket...I'm getting confused now lol

I fully agree If a junior works their socks off for everyone they should get help and training from everyone.

Yes I went to Cosmo school, she then let me intern there while in school and I pretty much just watched, asked some questions. I did some outside education and really have always felt I had the natural talent.

And yes she would be getting the cut from the schools paying her, I think schools need to teach more than just state board (that's how it works out here) but I didn't sign up for that and I'm already working and making myself way more available then I'd like.

I think I'm definitely going to start looking and just take it as experience and wait to find the perfect salon fit! Thank you all for your help! :Love:

Good luck :)

Latest posts

Back