Should I leave or stay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopelessDiva

Reaction score
Hi all,
I would like to start by saying thank god for salongeek and all you geeks, it seems like every year since starting my hairdressing career I have come to these forums for advice and at each step you have helped.

So 3 years after qualifying and I'm working at one of the top salons in london as an assistant, I have managed to pass off my blowdries, and colour training over the past 12 months and only have my cuts to pass off I have mu NVQ 2.
The issue is I hate it, Im 33
-I work in Richmond (3hr round trip everyday from SE London)
-We only get to do hair once a week
-Spoken to and treated like we dont have any experience or respect.
-models are really hard to find on a 40hr work week
I would like to focus on getting my cuts but there must be a better way im done with cleaning I just want to do hair!!! Is there any advice can I go it alone or is college an option? Do all hairdressing companies do this I cant afford to live on apprenticeship wage bit want to progress quicker.

There are various ways to qualify in hairdressing depending on where in the U.K. you live and your financial circumstances.

You might qualify for reduced fees for colllege but I remember paying about £1200 for level 2 and the same again for level 3. However, it’s best to speak to the admissions tutor at the college who should be able to advise you more accurately. You might be able to transfer some of your existing credit but you’d have to ask. I’d also recommend checking out several colleges/training centres as they do seem to vary in terms of what they offer and the fees charged.

You might be able to get on a fast track programme and finish a bit more quickly. I completed my level 3 in less than 6 months as I attended additional group sessions that my tutor was teaching on, so I got signed off each unit more quickly than the students who I’d registered with.

I think if you’re doing the training as part of an apprenticeship scheme, you don’t pay any tuition fees but you’re only paid a bare minimum wage and it takes longer to qualify.

However, as frustrating as it is at the moment, it might be worth holding on for a bit longer and completing your cuts and qualifying rather than transferring elsewhere but look at doing level 3 at college perhaps?

There are various ways to qualify in hairdressing depending on where in the U.K. you live and your financial circumstances.

You might qualify for reduced fees for colllege but I remember paying about £1200 for level 2 and the same again for level 3. However, it’s best to speak to the admissions tutor at the college who should be able to advise you more accurately. You might be able to transfer done if your existing credit but you’d have to ask. I’d also recommend checking out several colleges/training centres as they do seem to vary in terms of what they offer and the fees charged.

You might be able to get on a fast track programme and finish a bit more quickly. I completed my level 3 in less than 6 months as I attended additional group sessions that my tutor was teaching on, so I got signed off each unit more quickly than the students who I’d registered with.

I think if you’re doing the training as part of an apprenticeship scheme, you don’t pay any tuition fees but you’re only paid a bare minimum wage and it takes longer to qualify.

However, as frustrating as it is at the moment, it might be worth holding on for a bit longer and completing your cuts and qualifying rather than transferring elsewhere but look at doing level 3 at college perhaps?
Thanks for the advice I was thinking college as I also got my level 2 on fast track hmmmm its a bit to think about

Latest posts

Back