Spray tanning under 13 year olds

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelMitch

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Long time lurker here, but I've got a few questions for you good people here. So I've just gotten into spray tanning over the last six months and its been going fine. I've gotten requests to do spray tans for girls under the ages of 13, and I'm not sure how to handle these requests. I've done the hair and nails for younger girls before but spray tanning is a bit more intimate than that. I can't really imagine tanning them as dark as I've tanned adults before. Would I need consent forms from the parents, or have them present there. Would I also need to require them to wear a top as well?

Thanks.

I don’t do this. Habia says 15 is minimum last time I checked.

My reason is that as I used to do contract law, I know that children and those that aren’t of a sound mind can get out of a contract easily as they aren’t supposed to be able to enter into one. That means even with parent signing consent it’s a grey area. A child cant consent to a tan. So if they have a reaction the first question would be why did you do it.

I think you should consider (a) what were you trained to do (b) what your insurer says (c) what your heart says (d) the level of risk to your business if it went wrong (e) the level of risk to the child if it went wrong and whether you’d be ok with it.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal if young girls get spray tanned. But if you feel uncomfortable tanning girls that young, best you don't do it.

You'll need to check with your insurance first as well as see if they cover this. I've spray tanned young girls for being flower girls or bridesmaids in weddings and for dance competitions. I require that for girls under 16 they not only get written consent from their parents, but that a parent or guardian must be present while the tan is being done. As for the colour, it depends. For a wedding or a party, I'd keep it light and subtle, for a dance competition, I'd have it a bit darker, but you should consult with the parent first (and the bride if its a wedding).

As for what they should wear, any minor must wear bottoms at least. It's fine if they don't wear a top. I've tanned some topless, and some chose to wear a bathing suit or bandeau top or a bra. It's up to you though, if you want to require them to wear a top.

I would also suggest patch testing sometime prior to the actual tan.

I don’t do this. Habia says 15 is minimum last time I checked.
My reason is that as I used to do contract law, I know that children and those that aren’t of a sound mind can get out of a contract easily as they aren’t supposed to be able to enter into one. That means even with parent signing consent it’s a grey area. A child cant consent to a tan.

Hate to be pedantic here but I think you’re confusing Contract law with the law of Tort.
However, I agree with the sentiment.
Anyone under 16 is classed as a minor or child and so you’d need parental consent as a minimum requirement.
It’s not uncommon for youngsters to get spray tans for dance/performance competitions (god knows why!) and so some parents are keen to do this.

If you want to do it, you must get confirmation from your insurer and get the parents to sign a fresh consent form every time.

You are right that would be negligence.

The consultation form is the contract so if that’s invalid it just goes downhill from there.

So like you said that parental consent form is very important and is valid if they stay for the treatment*

*As I don’t have minors here these days I’m a little rusty but many years ago when I first started I did allow a few...I’m sure that back then the parent had to be there while you perform the treatment. Not sure if that is still a thing but I’d probably still insist on that. The dads would drop them off and drive away like I was a babysitter and I’d call them back. Like if you don’t know what your child is even having done you can’t consent to it with a handwritten napkin of your signature. Hahaaaa.

I spray tan young girls, not often though. It’s always the parent who has approached me in the first instance and they are always present in the room during the tan. This applies to anyone U16

I always do consent form for parents to sign and have a parent present

I’m age 16 and over only for all treatments

Latest posts

Back