Pain Under Finger Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emptybottle

Reaction score
Hello…

Not sure if anyone can help here. For almost a year now I’ve been having pain under fingernails and around the cuticle. Mostly in left hand but right too. I’ve had three nail infections. My nails have started to thin a little bit and getting a little more horizontal ridging although still mild. I’ve been working with a few doctors including dermatology and rheumatology to figure out what’s going on. Taken and applied various types of antibacterial, antifungal, steroidal medications with very little improvement. Even had an MRI and all clear.

It feels like pressure and aching and itching that I can’t relieve. I feel the need apply pressure to nails to relieve the aching and now it looks like a nervous tick and always playing with my fingers. I do have a habit of biting and filing and clipping my nails and cuticles etc although it’s only gotten bad since the pain started and before that my nails felt fine and looked healthy and I didn’t feel the need to bite them.

Other things I’ve tried:

- Making sure to wash and dry them well several times a day
- using lotion often
- biotin, saw palmetto etc,
- some nail strengthening products
- anti-nail biting polish
- latex finger covers

I’m anyone has any ideas on would could be going on or other possible treatments. At this point I’m wondering if it’s just an anxiety driven habit to relive tension that just doesn’t allow my nail beds to heal but I don’t really feel anxious.

Thanks!!!
Eb

How have you got the 3 infections? Are you having nail extensions/gel polish/manicures/whatever?

How have you got the 3 infections? Are you having nail extensions/gel polish/manicures/whatever?
Nope. Just to clarify I’m a male and while I do get the occasional manicure I hadn’t been doing anything to my nails. I really am not sure how I got the infections but most likely from biting them. I do religiously wash and dry my hands very well. The dermatologist said she thinks I have deeper fungal infection and we tried oral antifungals that has been the only thing that has helped with pain.

Nope. Just to clarify I’m a male and while I do get the occasional manicure I hadn’t been doing anything to my nails. I really am not sure how I got the infections but most likely from biting them. I do religiously wash and dry my hands very well. The dermatologist said she thinks I have deeper fungal infection and we tried oral antifungals that has been the only thing that has helped with pain.

OK, my concern was over zealous use of an efile, assuming you're not using one on yourself then we can exclude an outside trauma cause.

We're not going to be able to help you any further. We are specifically trained and educated not to 'diagnose', we are not doctors or medically qualified. Our steps if faced with a situation such as yours I'd to refer to a doctor.

I would investigate the possibility of a habit tic, or anxiety response, but your Doctor/Dermatologist need to do their thing first and foremost

Hello, your question is really outside our area of expertise and we’re not qualified to comment I’m afraid.

Pain should always be investigated. It can be a sign of infection or other illness. I once developed cellulitis from a scratch off a mishandled pair of tweezers which fumbled through my fingers as I was washing them. I needed antibiotics- the doctor couldn’t believe how rapidly the infection spread from a scratch that didn’t even draw blood.

Overzealous nipping of skin and keeping your nails too short, takes away the protection your body needs to be safe. The uncomfortable sensations you experienced were a sign of infection and it’s concerning that you dealt with the discomfort by pulling and gnawing at your fingertips. You can do an awful lot of damage to yourself through nail biting and neglecting infections can have scary consequences.

I am wondering, since there are a lot of nerve endings in the fingertips, whether the infection, aggression, reinfection cycle has caused some nerve damage. The healing process will involve some discomfort I’m afraid. It may be that you have also become over sensitised, - imagine you are being tickled by a feather. If that sensation continues for hours it becomes a torment. It might well be a relief to experience a different sensation such as a slap. So the pain you experience may simply be a misinterpretation of the sensations of healing recovery and regeneration.

Pinching your fingers to distract from the internal discomfort is not only unhelpful, you may be causing more damage. You need to distract yourself with gentle touches, perhaps stroking the back of your arm. Try and trust your health professionals and not undermine all their efforts to look after you by re-injuring yourself. Tell them about the unmanageable discomfort you are experiencing and follow their pain medication advice.

You say you’re not anxious, but it’s possible you have been managing anxiety with sone self harming behaviours. What you have described is not a tic, it’s the same response as scratching away at an insect bite until your skin bleeds over a much larger area. If you can’t control this urge a psychological intervention may be very helpful.

If you keep damaging your fingers they are going to get worse. You may end up with permanent, unsightly scarring and deformed nails. You may end up with an infection that cannot be treated and results in partial amputation. So please stop scrolling through the internet asking manicurists for advice. Tell your healthcare professional about all your symptoms, including the unmanageable discomfort that has you constantly fiddling with your fingers. There are some very helpful drugs that can be prescribed, some painkillers have sedative, antidepressant or antipsychotic side effects and these could be a game changer for you,

Good luck.

OK, my concern was over zealous use of an efile, assuming you're not using one on yourself then we can exclude an outside trauma cause.

We're not going to be able to help you any further. We are specifically trained and educated not to 'diagnose', we are not doctors or medically qualified. Our steps if faced with a situation such as yours I'd to refer to a doctor.

I would investigate the possibility of a habit tic, or anxiety response, but your Doctor/Dermatologist need to do their thing first and foremost
Thank you so much. I just looked this up and didn’t realize a nail habit tic is a thing. As I mentioned I had a feeling something like this may be going on but my doctors had never suggested it even when I brought up this possibility. Much appreciate it.

Latest posts

Back