Spray Tans - Hidden Treasure or Poisoned Chalice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sallytanning

Reaction score
Thought this article may interest all you spray tanning geeks:biggrin:

Spray Tans - Hidden Treasure or Poisoned Chalice?

Salon and Spa owners in the UK have yet to recognise the huge opportunity or threat that sunless tanning represents for their businesses. Sunless tanning provides one of the highest hourly rates of any mainstream treatment that is offered by salons and spas. With an average gross margin of 90% and a capital investment requirement of less than £500, this opportunity is not just for salons with large budgets. This fact was demonstrated in last weeks 'The Apprentice'. Lord Alan Sugar made the point that the winning team had won largely due to them having spray tanning on their treatment menu. He also said if wasn't in Electronics he'd be in the Beauty Business.

Despite the above mentioned financial reality, on average only 10% of salon/spa clients in the UK use sunless tanning services. In the US up to 90% of salon/spa clients regularly use sunless tanning services. The growth track available to UK salon/spa owners is truly significant.

Spray tanning has almost a unique feature when compared to other beauty treatments. This is a massive advantage but also a great disadvantage.

A quality tan provided by a consultant who knows what they are doing provides pretty much the fastest, most dramatic improvement in a clients appearance of any beauty treatment available. Do this consistently and you will rapidly grow your salon/spa business. 'Word of mouth' brings new clients into your salon, you pick up the tanning business but also have the opportunity to introduce that client to your other services.

Get it wrong and produce a bad tan and you will experience the exact opposite. Negative 'word of mouth' has exactly the same reach (some research would indicate more) as positive 'word of mouth'. You never see the client again and your salon brand is damaged for ever. A cheap tanning solution can be the most expensive product your salon will ever buy. Likewise lack of training investment can be a costly mistake.

In the US it's known as the 'spray tanning rut'. Basically you gain new clients who are trying sunless tanning for the first time, but you are losing just as many who will never return. The worst part is you may well be loosing clients who would use other services that your salon/spa offers. They talk to their friends and the whole thing snow balls.

If your're not seeing significant growth in your spray tanning business you have a problem. Spray tanning remains one of the fastest growing sectors in beauty as a whole. More clients enter the market every week. All spray tanning businesses should see growth that reflects overall market growth. The 'spray tanning rut' test is an important indicator as it not only identifies tanning issues but probably means your business is suffering as a whole.

end................

Found it on spray-tans-uk.com. I think it makes an important point, spray tans are such a visible treatment that every client is effectively a walking, talking, bill board for your business. Fantastic if they look great:D seriously bad if they don't:sad:

Great article thanks for sharing! Rhiannon x

Hi and thanks,

They have quite a few interesting pieces about our industry on their site. I think the public are getting a little more savy when it comes to spray tans and they wanting more from their salons than just a quick spray.

Fantastic thread sallytanning, thanks for sharing! x

Good article, very true, thanks

Hi Sally, Interesting site the spray tans UK. Is it free to register your business?

Sorry girls being a bit thick today it does say "free". Long day !!!!

Last edited:
Hi Sally, Interesting site the spray tans UK. Is it free to register your business?

Sorry girls being a bit thick today it does say "free". Long day !!!!

Hi MaryJane, yep its free, looks like you can submit your own articles about your business or whatever as long as its to do with spray tanning.

This has had a lot of views. Dare I ask does anyone think they have the 'Spray Tanning Rut' problem? Bet we don't get many posts replying to this question.

Does anyone no anyone who has the problem?

This has had a lot of views. Dare I ask does anyone think they have the 'Spray Tanning Rut' problem? Bet we don't get many posts replying to this question.

Does anyone no anyone who has the problem?

Sorry for being a bit slow but does that just mean are you not getting regulars?
I've not sprayed anybody that hasn't come back yet! :)
(I say yet, I'm quite new!)
Although do have few girls booked for prom so I guess some of those will be a one-off x

Latest posts

Back