SRH...what do u think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentahair

Reaction score
what do u think about the HC trying to get all hairdressers to become registered?

forgive me?
what is hc? and srh?

hi, HC is the 'Hairdressing council' and SRH is state registered hairdresser! the council are trying to make it law that all hairdressers become state registered to practise hairdressing, i think this is a great idea, hopefully stop alot of cowboy hairdressers!!!:D

oh haha! yeah sounds great! unfortunatly as long as you get the qualification (which is easy these days) you pass as a hairdresser.
i seen some terrible hairdressers get through there course getting passed by tutors that just don't seem to care. sad but true.
and thb i didn't feel ready to be passed either 9 years ago only the last few years do i feel completly competent in every aspect.

also have you any idea how it would work?? would we have to ring them and register kinda thing??

the upside that i can see if that the short courses/one day/two day...
will not be enough to be let loose on peoples hair, take extensions for example... you may be excellent at applyin but if you cant cut it?
hope that makes sense?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hi, i have been a SRH for a while, u can apply online and send the supporting evidence either level 3 cert or something else (cant remember) its a good status to have, back up (just in-case), also quite alot of people will look on the HC website to find their nearest SRH. i think it should be law, theres a girl whos got a salon near mine and she is not qualified, its soooo wrong but there is no inforcement for this (at the mo)!:D:D:D

They tried to do this some years ago, the difficulty is that we all qualified in different ways. One of my stylists had apprentiship papers, I had city and guilds, some had NVQ's. They would only accept the nvq's!!
My city and guilds advanced hairdressing and mastercrafts apparently do not count, and I'm damned if I'm gonna sit a dopey nvq2 just to satisfy a box ticker.My stylist with a hard won apprentiship paper and 35 years experience felt the same.

As I trade test people who are "qualified" for stylist jobs, I can confirm that you can hold an nvq2 and be incompetant and downright dangerous. The qualification simply means that you attended the college.

yes ive had the same problem with some of my staff not having the rite papers but being excellent hairdressers, i have city and guilds level 2 and 3 and d32, but a few years ago i did the new assessers award as my d32 was not longer acceptable to train juniors so i used that to become registered! i totally agree that anyone can do the course and get the papers and practise in a horrific mannar there are a few not far from me, and then i get to rectify it all which really pisses me off, they shouldnt of gone there in the first place!!!:D

When I left college 1989( city and guilds qualification) they automatically registered us, BUT then you had to pay membership every year and it just seemed like another bill for a certificate that nobody sees and it doesn't say anything about your ability, I'm sure others will disagree but someone is making a lot of money out of it, surely if you are on the 'register' it doesn't cost much to keep a name on. I also used to get a magazine once a year I believe full of articles about how great being a SRH was and how they should make it law etc. etc. - that was 21 years ago!:(

Latest posts

Back