Starting a nail business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rima Shah

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently full time employed but would now also like to venture out and start a side business in nails.

I have recently been accredited for the mani/pedi course and will be doing a shellac course at the end of the January.

During the Xmas period I practiced hand arm leg and foot massages. To proceed further I was thinking to buy some cheap nail varnishes from primark and practice working on painting and filing on friends and family. If I was to work on cuticle area as well and if working in between clients can I soak the tools in barbecide, wait for it to dry and then move on to next client or would i need to add to the steriliser?

Any other advise on start up would be massively appreciated. Thank u.

Hi all,

I'm currently full time employed but would now also like to venture out and start a side business in nails.

I have recently been accredited for the mani/pedi course and will be doing a shellac course at the end of the January.

During the Xmas period I practiced hand arm leg and foot massages. To proceed further I was thinking to buy some cheap nail varnishes from primark and practice working on painting and filing on friends and family. If I was to work on cuticle area as well and if working in between clients can I soak the tools in barbecide, wait for it to dry and then move on to next client or would i need to add to the steriliser?

Any other advise on start up would be massively appreciated. Thank u.

I wouldn’t start with cheap primark nail varnishes... the quality is just not the same as good professional brands! Also gel polish (shellac) is a lot easier to paint with then regular polish.
If however you do want to start practicing with normal polishes, you don’t need a trade card to get regular polish from Sally’s, grab a couple of basic OPI colours (even just a red and a nude would start your collection) at least that way you’d be able to get some use out of them down the line, and they are professional quality products.

I agree i would shop around for recognised brands of nail polishes and keep using those. I would also go into other salons and get some price lists or have treatments done.

Latest posts

Back