Starting A New Business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StudioTracker

Reaction score
There are many threads about taking the plunge to start a new business; here are a few hints on what to look out for to ensure your new business venture is successful!

1. Ensure you have enough capital

You need money to operate and grow your business to the next level. Capital is essential to pay rent, staff, market yourself and to buy inventory, it is essential that just because you are starting out you don’t cut corners and purchase cheap materials as this will show in your service, you need quality products in order to deliver a quality service. It is important to be aware that your expenses are likely to be higher than you first anticipate and your revenue likely to be lower than you anticipate, do not over project your future revenues, it is better to under project as this will ensure you create achievable targets.

2. Focus on cash flow not profit

For new businesses it is unlikely profit will be seen straight away, this is to be expected however it is important that your business has a positive cash flow so that there is enough money to pay rent, staff and to buy materials. Ensure your goals are long term and you’re not looking for quick ways to make money as having cheap prices to bring in customers won’t attract the right customers to grow your business, they won’t be there in the long term as soon as they get better offers they will move on elsewhere. It is important to invest time into each customer ensuring they will return for years to come. New businesses should not focus on profit; you can be unprofitable and still have a positive cash flow, making profit will be what you should aim to achieve.

3. Ensure you take care of your employees

Most people believe that customers are the biggest priority in their business; however this is not always the case, employees are those who look after your customers and they are a representative of your business, they handle the quality, service and delivery therefore it is essential that they are taken care of and are happy in the workplace in order for them to transfer this through good service to your customers.

4. Take care of your customers

It is much easier and less costly and time consuming to get a customer to buy off you again than attract a new customer. Therefore you should ensure you take care of existing customers, this can be done through remembering them, what treatments they usually have, reward them for being loyal and always make sure they are happy with the service they receive. A happy customer is a good customer, and a good customer will refer more customers.

5. Do not underestimate your competition

Many business owners think that their products and services are better and more attractive than their competitors. It is not about your competitors and trying to beat them, think about your competitor’s customers, why are they choosing to do business with them? How could you attract their loyal customers? Your competition is successful and has attracted clients for a reason you should learn from what they are doing right. How do they market their business? Do you offer the same treatments as them? You could differentiate yourself by offering treatments clients can’t get with the competition, get them through the door with this and attract them with package deals which include treatments they may usually get somewhere else.

6. Do not over estimate the size of your market

If you have taken the plunge and opened your own business, it is likely that you are an optimist and are likely to think that everyone is going to buy what you have to sell. This is however not the case, many people within the market are already a loyal customer to one of your competitors. Remember you are not aiming to attract the entire market; you only need enough clients to handle the capacity you presently have. If you only have one employee there is only need to attract a small portion of the market. Once you are profitable then consider hiring more staff and growing your company.

7. Make sure you have an advertising/marketing plan

It is vital that you have thought about how you are going to get sales, what methods of advertising you will adopt and worked out your marketing budget. There is no point spending lots of money on equipment and materials to open your business and then finding no adequate way of driving sales. It is a good idea to start branding and marketing your business before you open, have a website designed, this doesn’t have to cost you a lot of money but should hopefully create awareness of your salon before it opens and you can advertise a special open day promotion on there. Try and get a press release of your new business printed in the local paper, this is a free way to reach a large audience in your target area and is a more credible form of advertising than a leaflet drop. Capitalise on word of mouth advertising, tell everyone you know about your new salon and they will hopefully tell their friends, a potential client is far more likely to visit a salon if it has been recommended by a friend.

Last edited:
Excellent article. Thanks for the info.

Hi there the info is great as I'm just in the process of trying to promote my small Business.
I rent a Room which is in a good location but above a shop. I have no signs as yet and was wondering if you had any advice on signs, banners or sandwich boards. As I'm just starting out need to Advertise but also keep costs down, I also need to set up my a Website but really do not know where to start as not great with these things.

Tiffany x

Having a website is a good way to promote your business and generating leads as it allows possible clients who are looking for a particular treatment in a particular area to find you. If you are above a shop i would recommend you invest in an advertising board to put outside the shop so customers know where to find you. The board can also be a good place to promote offers in order to take advantage of passing trade.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank u for tips! Am in the process of getting a web page, and a Board is a great Idea! X

Latest posts

Back