Starting mobile hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have decided to start doing a little bit of mobile work along with being in a salon but I am slightly new to it and have a few questions I'm hoping someone might be able to answer!

First; would it be okay to ask for clients to have their already washed and wet for when I arrive? If not would it be acceptable to have them lean over their bathtubs and wash their hair like that?!
I was thinking of only doing cuts and styling to begin with as I don't really drive anyway, so any colour services I would ask to come into the salon for..

Also; my prices.. how do they look?
Cut and style - £20.00
Blow Dry - £15.00
Set - £10.00
Wet Cut - £15.00
Party hair - available upon consultation

Could I include anything else?

Thank you all <3

I have decided to start doing a little bit of mobile work along with being in a salon but I am slightly new to it and have a few questions I'm hoping someone might be able to answer!

First; would it be okay to ask for clients to have their already washed and wet for when I arrive? If not would it be acceptable to have them lean over their bathtubs and wash their hair like that?!
I was thinking of only doing cuts and styling to begin with as I don't really drive anyway, so any colour services I would ask to come into the salon for..

Also; my prices.. how do they look?
Cut and style - £20.00
Blow Dry - £15.00
Set - £10.00
Wet Cut - £15.00
Party hair - available upon consultation

Could I include anything else?

Thank you all <3
First question how are you going to get to each house?x

First question how are you going to get to each house?x
I figured I would get the bus or a taxi, I'm based in thanet which is quite small in my opinion :)
Thought I might as well as I don't think I will be swamped with customers just yet anyhow lol

I do mobile and dont drive. I try to book customers in for when my partner is home so he can give me a lift there and back but sometimes i get the bus! It is a bit of a pain sometimes so im booking my driving lessons

I do mobile and dont drive. I try to book customers in for when my partner is home so he can give me a lift there and back but sometimes i get the bus! It is a bit of a pain sometimes so im booking my driving lessons
That's actually really encouraging, I was told not to bother because it'd be too much to carry, which is why I'm sticking to just cuts for now

Charge the same prices as you would in the salon or a bit more to cover travel costs...

Hiya, I'm mobile and have been for 5 years, I do it full time. I would say your prices aren't too bad although I'd charge a couple more pounds for wash cut and blow dry. I wash hair over baths and sinks no problem, some people choose to wash their own hair so if they do I deduct £2 from their bill. I carry different shampoos and conditioners for various hair types/conditions, towels and a jug for rinsing, that would be very tricky to carry without a car. My car boot is full! I don't carry colour, I just take the colour a client has on that day, but I do have several electrical items, products like mousse etc. I know I couldn't do my job without a car but with careful planning and a case on wheels you'd be able to carry quite a bit of stuff. My website is hairbysarah.org.uk if you'd like to check out my prices and what I do?

Charge the same prices as in the salon (or higher) because you're offering a bespoke 1:1 service at their convenience without interruptions.
You're also potentially losing money because if you're in a salon, you can book in more clients as you haven't got to factor in travelling time.

Also, write out a packing list to keep you organised.

I typed out a list and had it laminated and stored in my bag. It had headings such as cut/products/colour/perm etc. Underneath each heading was a detailed list of all the equipment I'd need. I also carried a couple of magazines that I bought on subscription to offer to clients to read whilst they had a colour developing.

Cuts
Scissors
Cutting collar
Water spray bottle
Cutting combs
Gowns
Towels
Mirror
Brushes
Sectioning clips
Detangling conditioner comb
TangleTeezer