starting NVQ 2 this year

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forever-young74

Reaction score
hi all
im 25,
my names liz, never posted on here before :) for a while now i've wanted 2 do either hair or nails - eventually decided on hair. have just applied for nvq 2 course startin this year. its a part time adult course at my local college (york college), 3 days per week. wanted to do it for ages but as all the courses were full time previosuly didnt fit my requirements. the college has just had a multi-million renovation n have heard the facilities r excellent, which means im even more excited about startin! want 2 go and have a look round soon.

i am a total novice - used to study art n design. nail art appealled to me coz of my previous experience, but think hair is more suited to me. wld like to do barbering as well as ladies hairdressin but need to ask the college what is on the course, tho from what i've read on here that wouldn't come in til nvq 3, if at all.

anyway my question is: what do the professionals on here think i cld work on before the course starts? got 7 months 2 wait before i start. what skills/personality type etc do u think are vital 2 the job? n is there anything i can do in those 7 months that wld help me when i start?

am not gna try and cut anyones hair coz i dont know what im doin and that wouldn't b fair :)

liz

Welcome to the forums Liz. Sorry I cant answer your question but just a little heads up for you. Please try not to use text speak as not everyone can decipher it. This is a world wide forum and not everyone has English as their first language.

I am sure someone will be right along with some answers for you.

Hiya Liz,

One thing I benefitting from before I started my course was just being in a salon environment. I worked as a (what was called a junior but basically meant cleaner) since I was 14, tidying up, making tea and coffee, washing hair, taking payments etc. I found this to be so much help as it built my confidence to be around people of all ages, and to be able to hold a conversation about something we were both interested in. I think this is a great skill to possess because I have lost count of the times I had to talk to a girl I worked with before about telling 50 something women who were talking about a nice new wine bar that had just opened that they had "been thrown out of there for puking on the bar" LOL I know that is an extreme situation but...

Ask local salons if you can go and do some unpaid work experience with them. You never know, this could lead up to a job in the future, as I know if I had someone come ask me for that, I would be impressed with the initiative used. Good luck :D xx

Latest posts

Back